Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jul 27, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #1,502 of 2,804
Quote:
writing out my Chem homework right now with my new Lamy Safari (Black, fine) with the standard black ink cartridges. Now I want a red safari with red ink for grading, they write so smooth, much more precise than my medium tip cross too

Currently using a Lamy Safari (Charcoal, fine) until I can afford a Pilot Falcon Sapphire. Audio purchases keep interrupting...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #1,503 of 2,804
Quote:
The Lamy's write so nice and smoothly, but the Cross FP I have writes much more expressively. I.e. with slight variations in pressure as one writes, the line width varies dramatically, which I like. Wish I could find a pen that delivered the best of both!

I have a Cross pen, but it rolled off my desk (stupid sloped lecture hall desks) and dove nib first into the ground.I haven't gotten around to ordering a new nib yet

Edit: I can't even find a nib for the Cross Bailey, this is frustrating! Any help? I would like to replace it with a fine nib (it came with a medium, but it wrote to heavy, and besides, is broken). Preferably cheap, as always.

SilentOne: That pilot looks amazing. Very stylish!

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #1,504 of 2,804
Quote:
Quote:
The Lamy's write so nice and smoothly, but the Cross FP I have writes much more expressively. I.e. with slight variations in pressure as one writes, the line width varies dramatically, which I like. Wish I could find a pen that delivered the best of both!

I have a Cross pen, but it rolled off my desk (stupid sloped lecture hall desks) and dove nib first into the ground.I haven't gotten around to ordering a new nib yet

Edit: I can't even find a nib for the Cross Bailey, this is frustrating! Any help? I would like to replace it with a fine nib (it came with a medium, but it wrote to heavy, and besides, is broken). Preferably cheap, as always.

SilentOne: That pilot looks amazing. Very stylish!

Thanks. I can't seem to take my eyes off of it for too long. I dig so many things in black. But after seeing this pen, Sapphire is mesmerizing. Now, if I could just suspend audio expenditures for one month. September? October?? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #1,505 of 2,804
Hi guys, I'm a lurker on the audio section of this site and I just found this pen-fi thread. At first, I thought you meant ballpoint pens and quickly realized you guys were discussing some magical utility called a fountain pen. Intrigued, I'd love to know more. Where do I start, or more specifically, what is a good entry-level fountain pen? Thanks!

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,506 of 2,804
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm a lurker on the audio section of this site and I just found this pen-fi thread. At first, I thought you meant ballpoint pens and quickly realized you guys were discussing some magical utility called a fountain pen. Intrigued, I'd love to know more. Where do I start, or more specifically, what is a good entry-level fountain pen? Thanks!

Try the Lamy Safari, Pelikan Pelikano, Noodler's Ahab, Pilot 78G (google and find the place that sells them for $13). A Parker 45 can be had for ~$15 or if you want a Chinese clone there is always the Hero 800.

You have A LOT of choices at the entry-level...

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,507 of 2,804
Quote:

Try the Lamy Safari, Pelikan Pelikano, Noodler's Ahab, Pilot 78G (google and find the place that sells them for $13). A Parker 45 can be had for ~$15 or if you want a Chinese clone there is always the Hero 800.

You have A LOT of choices at the entry-level...

Ah okay. Hmm since I'm in korea for the summer maybe i can find some good ones from Japan here?

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #1,508 of 2,804
Quote:
Ah okay. Hmm since I'm in korea for the summer maybe i can find some good ones from Japan here?

You should be able to... There's the Sailor Lecoule... it's a bit expensive for an entry pen at $40USD. Sailor is a Japanese company...

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #1,509 of 2,804
Quote:

You should be able to... There's the Sailor Lecoule... it's a bit expensive for an entry pen at $40USD. Sailor is a Japanese company...

Ah $40 is nothing compared to all the other stuff on this website :D. I'll see what I can find next time I go to a stationary. Also, could you recommend any other sites for more information? AKA for care, penmanship, ink, etc.?

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,510 of 2,804
Quote:
Ah $40 is nothing compared to all the other stuff on this website :D. I'll see what I can find next time I go to a stationary. Also, could you recommend any other sites for more information? AKA for care, penmanship, ink, etc.?

I wasn't sure what you meant by entry level. Depending on your budget if you're in the $40-60 then there's the TWSBI 540 which I personally love. The ~$100 range there is the Lamy 2000 and Pelikan M215. Those 2 write just as well as my Delta and Omas pens. If you get into $200-$300 then try a Delta DV or MB 146 (used).

Don't worry. This hobby gets just as expensive as headphones and watches. My Delta Mocha and OMAS 360 cost me $1,100 together. I'm going to pick up another Delta just because I want a stub nib in my collection. I stupidly picked up MB Gandhi Saffron ink for $70. I have too much and can't sell at $45 now...

There are so many choices... just narrow down to what you like. I always loved the look of Sailor pens then when I owned one... I hated the nib. 

Resources:

- Fountainpennetwork.com
- FPGeeks.com

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #1,511 of 2,804
Quote:

I wasn't sure what you meant by entry level. Depending on your budget if you're in the $40-60 then there's the TWSBI 540 which I personally love. The ~$100 range there is the Lamy 2000 and Pelikan M215. Those 2 write just as well as my Delta and Omas pens. If you get into $200-$300 then try a Delta DV or MB 146 (used).

Don't worry. This hobby gets just as expensive as headphones and watches. My Delta Mocha and OMAS 360 cost me $1,100 together. I'm going to pick up another Delta just because I want a stub nib in my collection. I stupidly picked up MB Gandhi Saffron ink for $70. I have too much and can't sell at $45 now...

There are so many choices... just narrow down to what you like. I always loved the look of Sailor pens then when I owned one... I hated the nib. 

Resources:

- Fountainpennetwork.com
- FPGeeks.com

damn this is exciting lol. i can see myself wasting too much time (and possibly money) on this in the future lol. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #1,512 of 2,804
Quote:
Quote:

Resources:

- Fountainpennetwork.com
- FPGeeks.com

damn this is exciting lol. i can see myself wasting too much time (and possibly money) on this in the future lol. 

Perhaps, you could write in cursive "this is seoul, south korea" for us 
biggrin.gif
 when you get one.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,513 of 2,804
Have been away from the forum for a while so I thought I would post pictures of the latest three to my small collection.

First up is the limited edition Alfred Hitchcock by Mont Blanc, absolutely wonderful pen to write with! Mine is #2949/3000

Last shot is with my Air-King

Then there is a pen I have been wanting for a long time, a 1944 Parker 51 Vacumatic india black with 16k gold filled cap and the rare aluminum jewel.

And lastly I ordered two of the new limited edition Stipula Tuscany dreams fountain pens, one has arrived, the piston/14k nib and the other the CC Ti flex nib is still on it's way!

This is it next to my 149 to give you an idea how big it is!

And a writing sample from the wonderful italic flex nib

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,515 of 2,804
Hey can anyone help me out here, i have an old parker 51 which was handed down to me by my grandmother, however the problem is that the pen is not in working condition and it requires a change in nib, filler ect does anyone know where i can go to restore this pen? I would really appreciate it thanks:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back