Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Aug 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,517 of 2,804
Hey can anyone help me out here, i have an old parker 51 which was handed down to me by my grandmother, however the problem is that the pen is not in working condition and it requires a change in nib, filler ect does anyone know where i can go to restore this pen? I would really appreciate it thanks:D

Is your 51 a Vacumatic or Aeromatic? A vac has a cap that removes from the back of the pen and reveals a pump, the Aerometric has a sac encased in a metal container with a squeeze bar inside the pen, you unscrew the barrel to reveal it.

If it is the latter before you send it away I highly recommend filling a small bowl with warm water with a couple of drops of hand soap in. Place the nib in the water and then squeeze the bar four times then take the pen out and squeeze the bar to empty it into the sink. Keep repeating this process until any traces of ink have gone then repeat the process several times with clean warm water. If this works then using kitchen paper gently tamp the nib and squeeze the bar so as to remove the remaining water then fill with ink and see if the pen writes. If so all is good and your good to go.

The Aerometric 51's are remarkable for their endurance and ability to survive years of dry ink and just flush to get them back working. I know from experience as I got one a few months ago from ebay that was not working and I did all i said above and now it writes like a dream!

The Vac though really needs professional care as it is a totally different beast and I recommend Bob's advice!

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,518 of 2,804
+1
The Parker 51's are very durable in my experience.
I've obtained many over the years that needed no more work than ianmedium describes,
They're one of my favorites.

Quote:
Is your 51 a Vacumatic or Aeromatic? A vac has a cap that removes from the back of the pen and reveals a pump, the Aerometric has a sac encased in a metal container with a squeeze bar inside the pen, you unscrew the barrel to reveal it.
If it is the latter before you send it away I highly recommend filling a small bowl with warm water with a couple of drops of hand soap in. Place the nib in the water and then squeeze the bar four times then take the pen out and squeeze the bar to empty it into the sink. Keep repeating this process until any traces of ink have gone then repeat the process several times with clean warm water. If this works then using kitchen paper gently tamp the nib and squeeze the bar so as to remove the remaining water then fill with ink and see if the pen writes. If so all is good and your good to go.
The Aerometric 51's are remarkable for their endurance and ability to survive years of dry ink and just flush to get them back working. I know from experience as I got one a few months ago from ebay that was not working and I did all i said above and now it writes like a dream!
The Vac though really needs professional care as it is a totally different beast and I recommend Bob's advice!

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,519 of 2,804
It's an aeromatic yeah I flushed it long ago and the ink flows fantastically but the nib damn we have a big issue my grandma didn't really take good care of it. Ooo the pain

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,521 of 2,804
It's an aeromatic yeah I flushed it long ago and the ink flows fantastically but the nib damn we have a big issue my grandma didn't really take good care of it. Ooo the pain

Oh thats such a shame then. So it is off to Bob's contact then. Great thing is the 51's are not that expensive to get sorted out and seeing as it has so much family value it will be worth it! Let us know how you get on!

Aug 6, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #1,522 of 2,804
Quote:

Perhaps, you could write in cursive "this is seoul, south korea" for us 
biggrin.gif
 when you get one.

Lol considering that I've never formally learnt cursive and my handwriting in general is just a little above average, I think I will spare the internet of my handwriting

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,523 of 2,804
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps, you could write in cursive "this is seoul, south korea" for us 
biggrin.gif
 when you get one.

Lol considering that I've never formally learnt cursive and my handwriting in general is just a little above average, I think I will spare the internet of my handwriting

Ah, so you're a Doctor in residence!

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,527 of 2,804
By the way, are FPs practical for note taking during lectures and such? If so, what kind of paper/notebook is best?

Absolutely! Mind, some are better suited that others. I would go for something fairly cheap with a large ink capacity which brings along TWSBI's excellent 540. Steel nib, large ink capacity and not so expensive that you would be heartbroken if you lost it.

As to paper, well, you could get away with cheaper paper if you use a fine nib as there will be less bleed and feathering but the Rhodia is a good choice and is made by Clairfontane as well

Staples environmentally friendly paper is excellent for FP's as well

If you wanted to go old school then the Parker 51 aerometric is pretty bullet proof, has a good ink capacity and is lovely to write with, also has a slip on cap which speeds things up as well. You can usually get a 51 special (a slightly cheaper version of the 51 with an octanium nib and slightly less fancy squeeze filler) on ebay for $25-$50 Don't worry about it being old, it will outlive you and me together!

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #1,528 of 2,804
Quote:
... Don't worry about it being old, it will outlive you and me together!

Is that a challenge? o.O

Haha ok thanks for the advice. I like the Parker 51 but I think right now I am debating between the TWSBI, the Pelikan pelikano, and the Lamy. Dunno tho. We'll see whats available (if at all) at the stationary place when I go next week.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #1,529 of 2,804
You know, I would lose if it was. I was writing today with 68 year old 51 and it writes like a dream! I think the three your thinking of are great, the lamy's are bullet proof as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back