Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jan 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #1,261 of 2,804
Thing is, the main problem is ghosting or bleed-through, which is important in notetaking as you need to use both sides of a piece of paper. The notebooks you find at Staples are often too thin, which leads to the aforementioned problems.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #1,262 of 2,804
Yeah...the stuff I was reading about is the Sugarcane paper I think...24 pound stock...not sure how that holds up to FP ink. I think I am going to stop by Staples tomorrow after class and grab a couple cheap disposable FP's and a couple notebooks and see how it works out and go from there.

Oh, and generally I actually only use one side of the paper. Of course I don't want it to bleed through to the next page but I am not too concerned about being able to use the backside of a page.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #1,264 of 2,804
Well, I lost my Hero 329 (new version), so there goes the problem with filling. Lasted me a good 2 months. I should really learn not to misplace things.

Anyway, I'm hooked on fountain pens. However, the 329 was WAY too scratchy. I need something that is alot smoother and a bit thicker.
I'm currently using the Pilot G2 and I love how easily it flows. The hero used too much ink. It seemed like I was filling it every week.

I've completely decided that I quit on the aerometric filling system. It just didn't work for me, at least not in the Hero. The hero was also quite a leaker, so that might have been an addition reason for the ink problems. There were many air bubbles, and I'd like if someone could enlighten me about whether or not they mar the performance.

I need a replacement, preferably around $10 or so. I think that a Pelikano JR would be a good choice. Primary usage would be for note-taking or doing homework. All on cheap filler paper. Noodler's ink has been good to me, so I think I'll continue using it.

Any suggestions?

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,266 of 2,804

my weapons of choice, gonna get some new ones this april when i go visit the fountain pen hospital. these are normally filled with either one of my various noodlers blues or purples, or PR blue suede

i also have more of them. alot more. i love fp's. and headphones.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,267 of 2,804
pelikan m250 black, m250 vintage, sailor sapporo black w/ gold trim, lamy safari.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,268 of 2,804
hey buffalowings, are you on fpn by any chance, your name sounds familiar

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,269 of 2,804

Quote:
hey buffalowings, are you on fpn by any chance, your name sounds familiar

errr...who would this "buffalowings" be??? 
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #1,271 of 2,804
First, cowboy hat tip to those who posted gorgeous images above. Fantastic stuff.

Next I want a piston filler for a daily writer. My hand span is about 9.5", so it will be either a Mb 149, Pelikan M800, a Sailor 1911 Realo with a broad nib. Suggestions welcome!

-Tony

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,272 of 2,804

Quote:
First, cowboy hat tip to those who posted gorgeous images above. Fantastic stuff.

Next I want a piston filler for a daily writer. My hand span is about 9.5", so it will be either a Mb 149, Pelikan M800, a Sailor 1911 Realo with a broad nib. Suggestions welcome!

-Tony

the realo piston filler holds as much ink as the standard 1911. not enough of a capacity change to warrant the higher price

James

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #1,273 of 2,804
Ah. Thanks mate. I guess they really love cartridges/converter in Japan. Which is a shame really, because I read so much good things about their "good out of the box" nibs. Although I understand the practicality side of c/c, that's not what I wanted.

Is there anything else other than the two for less than $700, piston, wet juicy broad nib?

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #1,274 of 2,804

Quote:
Ah. Thanks mate. I guess they really love cartridges/converter in Japan. Which is a shame really, because I read so much good things about their "good out of the box" nibs. Although I understand the practicality side of c/c, that's not what I wanted.

Is there anything else other than the two for less than $700, piston, wet juicy broad nib?

pilot custom 823, not a piston filler, but it has a very unique filling system w/ the quality nib we expect from a japanese manufacturer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back