Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Mar 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #1,291 of 2,804

Quote:
Quote:
Hm. What paper do you use?  i use black and reds and rhodia pads (as per someone here's recommendation).  I have one of th elittle pilot mini's so i can give that a shot.  but im not really looking to drop a another $20-$40 just on a maybe

Lamy's are notorious for having nibs that don't match their stated specs, return it and try another EF, some of them are in reality mediums, while you may run into an actual EF. It's pretty much by chance.

Hmm, I haven't heard that exactly. What I have heard is that Pelikan and Lamy nibs tend to be larger than most other Western companies nibs (there's no standard for nibs and all companies tend to vary at least slightly). Actually, it's something they recently began doing I believe, perhaps to differentiate fp from bp more? 

@erratik

Hmm well your paper's fine. I suspect that the lamy is simply too broad for your taste, I doubt anything is wrong with it. It writes like a broad gel pen correct? If you want, you could try exchanging it anyway though. If you want a pen that writes like a fine (or x-fine) gel pen, you'll probably have to go with an asian brand. Check out fountainpennetwork.com if you want you're interested.

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,293 of 2,804

Quote:
Thing is (personally) I like to use EF nibs but most of the time the EF writes like a F or even a M. I have maybe one or two EF nibs that I would call EF.

This is true, for Western nibs. But for asian nibs I don't think it's that hard to find fp that write like ef (this is my experience.) Pilot 78g is a good example that costs about $30 in the US. Hero 100 also meets this standard, mine writes like an ef gel pen and it's only labeled as a fine! I wouldn't recommend Hero though, they seem to have to many quality control issues (I have twice gotten hero 100s with minor flaws). There are plenty of asian brands out there though, for those willing to do a bit of research.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #1,297 of 2,804
I am so ridiculously irritated right now. I bought what I thought was a Dr. Grip that was re-engineered to have better balance. A Dr. Grip 2.0, if you will. Really, it was a Dr Grip Center Of Gravity. For those of you who do not know, the Pilot G2 and the Dr. Grip pen both share the same ink cartridge: a gel ink refill. What I just found out after careful research is that the center of gravity version of the pen is just a bal point pen with crappy ball point refills. I had been sitting here wondering why it wrote like crap....

Anyways, here's my plan that I will execute probably tomorrow: I'm gonna get a proper Pilot Dr Grip (supremely comfy), and a pack of Mont Blanc rollerball refills. The refills, after shaving 1/8th of an inch off the top, will fit perfectly in the dr. grip (or any G2), and writes like an absolute dream compared to the G2. the G2 writes very nice and deep in color, but the ink has a tendency to flow just a hair too fast for my liking, and the tip is so sharp that it scratches the paper. My final beef with it is that the ink is extremely visible through the paper of my notebook.

I'm also going to pick up a set of blank paper musing notebooks. They just have standard thick paper used for pencil sketches and ink drawings. I find I take much better notes when I am not limited to the whole left to right/top to bottom motion of english. At the end of the day I should have some extremely handy notebooks for school, a bunch of G2 refills (1 currently in my g2, one from the dr. grip, and one that i have laying extra), an extra montblanc refil, and a dr grip that writes like a montblanc. Lovely!

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #1,299 of 2,804
QC on the Heros are very iffy, I've read. The old ones are better than the updated models, once again FWIR. I bought my 329 from ISELLPENS and I think it writes every bit as good as the Lamy Safari. It is scratchy every so often but well worth $7.

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,300 of 2,804
Went ahead and just ordered one any way.  If it's not what I'm looking for i'll probably just sell it and the lamy, as the lamy really isnt *that*much better than my sharbo, especially nowhere near enough to take the time to write larger and slower so things dont bleed together.  

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,301 of 2,804

Quote:
QC on the Heros are very iffy, I've read. The old ones are better than the updated models, once again FWIR. I bought my 329 from ISELLPENS and I think it writes every bit as good as the Lamy Safari. It is scratchy every so often but well worth $7.

I think the nibs on higher-end heros are quality (not so much on the 616 though). I have experienced qc issues, even with the hero 100, but not with the nib. It writes a very fine line and also writes very smoothly. But yes, supposedly older hero models are better quality

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #1,302 of 2,804
I bought a Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph Technical Fountain Pen at a garage sale this past weekend thinking it was a regular fountain pen (I have no experience with fountain pens and thought the "technical" part of the name was just that, part of the name). Anyway, after getting home and checking it out it seems to be in good shape but I have no way of knowing what to look for as to it's usability. Do I just buy some ink, fill it up, and try it out or are there things I should check first? For the curious, I paid $2 for that, an old but in good working shape Texas Instruments TI-1025 calculator and a couple of plastic drafting type tools (French curve, protractor, etc).   

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,304 of 2,804
sorry, wrong window 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back