Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Feb 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #1,277 of 2,804

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
can someone explain this to me? Headphones I understand because you get something out of them, an enjoyment of music. Does this give you... an "enjoyment of writing" or something? I'm all for ridiculous hobbies (go warmachines!) but this one seems completely beyond me. To spend time in your hobby do you just do alot of writing?

When I have to sign contracts, large purchase orders, disciplinary letters, etc. I pull out one of my fountain pens and away I go. Also check out the eyes of the other people around you when you pull out a fountain pen to sign off a document.
biggrin.gif

that's exactly why i have a nice fountain pen :D certainly not for actual writing, they are much too cumbersome.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #1,279 of 2,804

Yeah, my hero 100 is smoother than a g2 (and it has the same line width) and also less fatiguing because it requires no pressure. I can write for hours with no fatigue, can't say that about a g2. That said the two annoying things are the its incompatibility with some paper and needing to refill ink.  

However, it's easy enough to find cheap paper that works fine (like my $1 Chinese brand notebook). And fountain pen ink is cheaper in the long run, considering my $6 bottle of Quink will probably last me over a year. Not to mention, buying ink is better for the environment than buying disposable pens. If we want to improve the environment, we need to move away from our "disposable society." Using a fountain pen is one way to do this. 
Quote:
I find them way less cumbersome for writing than ballpoints.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #1,280 of 2,804

Quote:
Ah. Thanks mate. I guess they really love cartridges/converter in Japan. Which is a shame really, because I read so much good things about their "good out of the box" nibs. Although I understand the practicality side of c/c, that's not what I wanted.

Is there anything else other than the two for less than $700, piston, wet juicy broad nib?

Visconti Homo Sapiens.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #1,281 of 2,804
Picked up a couple of Zebra V301's a while back:

r00248304261940.jpg

r00248334285814.jpg

r00248344239969.jpg

After using it for a while, a few observations:

1) You MUST use it regularly, the Zebra uses a fiber wick to draw the ink out of a cartridge, which has a tendency to dry up and block the ink flow
2) The writing angle is a bit too acute for my liking
3) It uses standard cartridges (mentioned in the OP), anything that resembles the Lamy T10 will work
4) The nib is THICK, a tad thick for me IMO, but if you prefer medium nibs, go for it
5) The cap doesn't post very tightly on the end, it 'clicks' into place but is loose
6) The weight is a tad bit too light for my liking, around the same as a Lamy Safari
7) Cannot replace the nib, but then again this was designed to be more of a disposable pen

Bottomline, I still prefer my Safaris due to the above reasons, I just find that the triangular grip is better than a circular grip and the flexibility that removeable nibs offer is worth it.

Brendan

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,282 of 2,804
does the type of ink you use have an effect on thickness?  I have what *SHOULD* be an extra fine lamy safari vista with lamy ink and it is not at all what i would consider an extra fine write.  probably somewhere closer to bold.  it also feathers. a lot. at this point it was basically a waste of $40 =/

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #1,283 of 2,804
does the type of ink you use have an effect on thickness?  I have what *SHOULD* be an extra fine lamy safari vista with lamy ink and it is not at all what i would consider an extra fine write.  probably somewhere closer to bold.  it also feathers. a lot. at this point it was basically a waste of $40 =/

It's probably the paper you're using. Even if it seems like "quality", it doesn't mean it was designed to be used with fps. Most paper these days isn't The ink could be a contributing factor as well, but even bad ink shouldn't that strong of an effect? There's plenty of cheap paper that works well with fps out there, you just have to experiment a little. Still, your safari may never write like an extra-fine gel pens, if that's what you want. Lamy is known to make nibs on the broader side of the spectrum. If you want a fp that really writes like an extra-fine gel pen, you might want to try an extra-fine Parker instead. Alternately, you could pick up a pen from an Asian brand (read: Japanese). Asian fp nibs run smaller than Western one's (because of their intricate writing system). Look at Pilot's line if you're interested. Even an Asian fine nib should be equivalent to an extra-fine gel pen (at least mine is).

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #1,284 of 2,804

It's probably the paper you're using. Even if it seems like "quality", it doesn't mean it was designed to be used with fps. Most paper these days isn't The ink could be a contributing factor as well, but even bad ink shouldn't that strong of an effect. There's plenty of cheap paper that works well with fps out there, you just have to experiment a little. Still, your safari may never write like an extra-fine gel pens, if that's what you want. Lamy is known to make nibs on the broader side of the spectrum. If you want a fp that really writes like an extra-fine gel pen, you might want to try an extra-fine Parker instead. Alternately, you could pick up a pen from an Asian brand (read: Japanese). Asian fp nibs run smaller than Western one's (because of their intricate writing system). Look at Pilot's line if you're interested. Even an Asian fine nib should be equivalent to an extra-fine gel pen (at least mine is).

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #1,285 of 2,804

Quote:
Quote:

It's probably the paper you're using. Even if it seems like "quality", it doesn't mean it was designed to be used with fps. Most paper these days isn't The ink could be a contributing factor as well, but even bad ink shouldn't that strong of an effect? There's plenty of cheap paper that works well with fps out there, you just have to experiment a little. Still, your safari may never write like an extra-fine gel pens, if that's what you want. Lamy is known to make nibs on the broader side of the spectrum. If you want a fp that really writes like an extra-fine gel pen, you might want to try an extra-fine Parker instead. Alternately, you could pick up a pen from an Asian brand (read: Japanese). Asian fp nibs run smaller than Western one's (because of their intricate writing system). Look at Pilot's line if you're interested. Even an Asian fine nib should be equivalent to an extra-fine gel pen (at least mine is).

Hm. What paper do you use?  i use black and reds and rhodia pads (as per someone here's recommendation).  I have one of th elittle pilot mini's so i can give that a shot.  but im not really looking to drop a another $20-$40 just on a maybe

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,286 of 2,804
Hm. What paper do you use?  i use black and reds and rhodia pads (as per someone here's recommendation).  I have one of th elittle pilot mini's so i can give that a shot.  but im not really looking to drop a another $20-$40 just on a maybe

Lamy's are notorious for having nibs that don't match their stated specs, return it and try another EF, some of them are in reality mediums, while you may run into an actual EF. It's pretty much by chance.

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #1,287 of 2,804

can i just contact them and be like "this writes really bold i dont think its actually an EF"? i dont wanna just blow money on a gamble, im pretty broke these days
Quote:
Quote:

Lamy's are notorious for having nibs that don't match their stated specs, return it and try another EF, some of them are in reality mediums, while you may run into an actual EF. It's pretty much by chance.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,288 of 2,804
I love the way a Pilot G2 Gel ink pen writes, but I love the feel of my Dr. Grip. Unfortunately, the Dr. Grip G2 refill writes like absolute bollocks whereas the full size (not midget) g2 refill writes like a dream.....

I'm gonna head to the store sometime and pick up a montblank rollerball refill and mod it to fit my G2...should be nice.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,289 of 2,804

Quote:
I love the way a Pilot G2 Gel ink pen writes, but I love the feel of my Dr. Grip. Unfortunately, the Dr. Grip G2 refill writes like absolute bollocks whereas the full size (not midget) g2 refill writes like a dream.....

I'm gonna head to the store sometime and pick up a montblank rollerball refill and mod it to fit my G2...should be nice.

Try the G2 "10" refills.  I'm planning on trying out a fountain pen soon (I've never used one), but I'm a big fan of the 1.0mm Bold pilot refils for G2/Doctor Grip.  My mom is also a die-hard Doctor Grip lover.  She swears by that pen and always keeps two within arms reach at all times, orders refills by the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back