Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,246 of 2,804
I'd like to get a nice pen to last me, the Lamy Safari looks about right. But are fountain pens strictly for writing? I ask this because I do alot of drawing (nothing important, nothing that merits a real artists pen, but I frequently doodle as a way to make notes). Would the Safari work for this? If so, what tip? If not, maybe someone could suggest a nice pen for doodling :)

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #1,248 of 2,804
I think the EF Safari is awesome for general use. It puts down a line about the width of a standard ball pen.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,249 of 2,804
Pens!

Way back in 2004 based on recommendations and discussions on head-fi, I got a bunch of pens (details here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/90994/pens-oh-my-followup-and-some-pics )  Some of the pics doesn't show up anymore.  No significant purchase since then, I think I have only purchased 2 more fountain. Been mainly playing around with different ink afterward.

For the past few years, I've mainly gone back to ball point pens.. multi points to be exact. They are just so much more convenient for work.  My favorite are the Zebra clip-ons. They write really nicely and they are light, perfect when I clip it to my lanyard at work.  I lose them like crazy and I just bought 11 more this past october.   Here is what I have at home. I should have a few more at work/bag.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #1,251 of 2,804
Interesting...I had a cheap FP years ago...took little disposable cartridges. I may have to look into getting another pen...I remember really liking the one I had. 

My granddad has some old Parker lever fillers. They belonged to his dad. I'll have to get him to dig them out and get some pics of them sometime.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #1,254 of 2,804
Hi Guys! I bought a cheapo Hero 329 and a bottle of Noodler's Bulletproof black. The Hero 329 is the new version with the gold end. It cost me about $17 for both, which I think is a great deal!

I have several problems with it. Mostly to do with the filling. First of all, the Hero really doesn't fill well. It is one of those aerometric models, with a metal sleeve that is removable to reveal the sac, but I choose to keep the sac on. I have tried filling the pen without the sac, but I couldn't get it more than 1/4 full (or 3/4 empty, for those pessimists).

I searched the web, and was forwarded to a FPN post about how I should press and release hard and quickly (with the sleeve on), which does a bit better. Then, I tip the pen around, so that all the ink is near the rear, and immediately try to fill it up again. This does increase the ink level, but after all of this, there is a considerable amount of air ink the pen. This causes it to be a little less than half full. Is this air detrimental to the operation of the pen, or does it eventually get out?

Another issue is the inability to keep the ink inside of the pen. The pen only lasts about 2 days after filling. This is about 14 classes or so of writing. Of course, I'm very surprised that a pen that is half full would be empty at the end of 2 days. I would expect it to last at least 1 week, no? Am I unrealistic about my expectations?

As I have used the pen for about 2 weeks, its been filled for quite a number of times. I tried washing out the cap to see if there was any leakage. Sometimes, there would be significant leakage, but often times, it seems that there was only a drop or two, only enough to make the cleaning water a bit black. Still, I would expect it to last about 1 week.

The ink level in the Noodler's bottle is now about halfway down the neck, and has not reached the main "body" of the bottle yet (for lack of better words). I was told it should last me a year, at least. At this rate, I'm not even sure. Does anyone have any experience with the longevity of one bottle?

I intended to buy a Lamy Safari as my first pen, and I think I'll buy one later this year. I like the nib size of the 329. It IS a bit scratchy at times, but I have gotten used to it (and its gotten better over time). I bet the Safari will be better.

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #1,255 of 2,804

I'd like to get a nice pen to last me, the Lamy Safari looks about right. But are fountain pens strictly for writing? I ask this because I do alot of drawing (nothing important, nothing that merits a real artists pen, but I frequently doodle as a way to make notes). Would the Safari work for this? If so, what tip? If not, maybe someone could suggest a nice pen for doodling :)

Stephanie finds it amazing for drawing: http://www.biffybeans.com/

I've now added a grey, yellow, and white Safari to my pen case, bringing the total to 8 Safaris, each having their colour coded ink. I prefer EF/F over other sizes, but since I use the yellow as a highlighter, I opted for the 1.9 calligraphy nib.

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #1,256 of 2,804
Never been a fan of fountain pens but I'm certainly more of a function over form kind of person. Externally, I like something interesting and/or unique but I want it to write effectively and I don't find fountain pens to do that. As of now I only have two pens that I'd consider a little higher end. One is a Scheaffer ballpoint in a whale shark pattern and the other is an ACME rollerball in a Frank Lloyd Wright design. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,258 of 2,804
I'm sure this has been discussed but I didn't see anything in the handful of pages I have read...I would like to grab a FP to use at school...what ink would work best for notebook paper for taking notes during class or what not too expensive paper/ink combo works well? I do remember seeing something about a notebook from Staples that worked decently but I didn't see if there was a specific ink recommended. This will be with something like a Lamy Safari with a fine or extra fine nib.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #1,259 of 2,804
Thing is almost all the paper products you see at chain office supply stores are too thin for fountain pens. You could get away with an EF nib. I'd recommend Diamine ink, love their stuff.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,260 of 2,804

I'm sure this has been discussed but I didn't see anything in the handful of pages I have read...I would like to grab a FP to use at school...what ink would work best for notebook paper for taking notes during class or what not too expensive paper/ink combo works well? I do remember seeing something about a notebook from Staples that worked decently but I didn't see if there was a specific ink recommended. This will be with something like a Lamy Safari with a fine or extra fine nib.

I've been a huge fan of the Parker 51 for something over ten years. I carry one almost every day. A decent writer costs $50-$100 (more if you want a fancy cap or rare color), but even a black one with a stainless cap writes as well as the rare ones.

In this time, I've had zero trouble writing on any paper. I usually use Noodler's inks - which do an admirable job on even newsprint. Cheap office paper is just fine, too.

I've owned upwards of 100 pens and have been collecting and using fountains since '94. The 51 is my favorite pen, not to mention being affordable and easily found. A lot of other collectors use them daily, as well.

The best ones are the later "Aerometric" versions. They are dead reliable and almost never need service, just a cleaning. You can do that at home with a glass of water.

If you don't want to invest in a 51, pick up one of the Chinese Hero clones. They have steel nibs and are decent enough. Just a few dollars each, you won't mind losing one. Use a decent ink and you'll have a good writer. If you get a pen with a steel nib, pick up a sheet of 2,000 grit sandpaper. Lightly wetsand the nib by writing on the sandpaper while it's wet. It won't take long to smooth the nib and customize it to your hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back