Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Oct 7, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #976 of 2,804
I just happened to be at a art and craft store today, and got myself a KOH-I-NOOR Rapido Sketch pens. Along with mars techincal .05 pencil, and my first set of prismacolors. First time I used a pen like this, and I love the ease to refill, and draw.
CIMG3375.jpg

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #977 of 2,804
Well the NYC Pen Show is this weekend so I hope to have some work done on some existing pens and pick up a few new ones while they are in town.

Anyone else going to make it to the show?

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #978 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice stash! I've also been with pens longer than hi-fi. I got my first good pen in '94 and have been at it since.

Oh, and don't be shocked about the pen nuts here. You're going to discover that the demographic here is frighteningly consistent - you have more in common with people here than you ever imagined. Once you go to some meets (and you should) you'll find all sorts of similarities and lots to talk about. You might even get hooked going through the watch and wet shavig threads. Sorry abou your wallet.
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks, I'm more of a user than collector but I baby them, especially with the translucent celluloid models (no staining inks please). I'd never thought that the demographics would overlap, it makes us sound like a group of diseased hoarders :s

All my pens are from the wild, even the hellishly hard to fix snorkels and Vac-Fils, there's no way I could spend serious money on them. Well, all except for a couple Parker 51s I bought for cheap at the last San Francisco Pen Show before they ended that event.

EHHHH here goes the worst photo ever, pardon the cellphone cam resolution.

Sheaffer Balance OS silver stripe + Etymotic ER-4B

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #979 of 2,804
Quick note guys: DO NOT STICK KNIVES BETWEEN TINES

I read that someone recommended another headfier to do this to increase ink flow, it is very much a bad idea. If you mess up, your pen would need a trip to a nib restorer to restraighten the tines and hopefully fix the gapping.

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #982 of 2,804
I made some interesting trades at the New York Pen Show a couple of weeks ago. Wound up with a Parker Presidential (Parker 51 in 14K gold) and a Carter's 7-size RHR pen in mint condition. Two serious finds.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #984 of 2,804
For which ballpoint pen?

I have a number of ballpoint pens that are .5mm or thinner (most are .4 or .3) but the refills are very specific to the pen model.

PS thanks a lot to whoever started this thread, I just bought five new pens and a handwriting manual, I am going to renew my knowledge of printed italic.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #985 of 2,804
I have a number of ball point pens right now, so I thought it would be able to fit at least one of them.

Some of the ones right next to me are the sensa cloud nine, which currently uses a pretty standard, thin/long pen refill. I also have a parker pen which is using a parker roller ball refill.

I'm actually in the market for a new pen with more mass and that's better built right now. I would want to get a rotring 600 ball point pen, but they're pretty expensive =|

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #986 of 2,804
Actually the sensa cloud 9 takes a very specific refill since it's pressurized and kind of an odd size.

Some pens that might meet your fine-point needs are the Hi-Tec C Cavalier, and the Zebra Sharbo.

I'm a connoisseur of needle-point pens, tend not to write with anything over .5mm.

Can't get the hang of this fountain pen thing for the life of me.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #987 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The right pen will change that. I used to only use fine mechanical pencils and Koh-I-Noors, but gradually drifted into fountains. My regular carry pen is a Parker 51 with a nib somewhere betwen fine and extra fine. It doesn't flex much, so something along those lines might suit you. Also, you might want to visit nibs.com, Classic Fountain Pens. They'll customize any nib to suit you. They're good folks - I've met them several times atpen shows.

P.S. 73 DE KG6JBF
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #988 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The right pen will change that. I used to only use fine mechanical pencils and Koh-I-Noors, but gradually drifted into fountains. My regular carry pen is a Parker 51 with a nib somewhere betwen fine and extra fine. It doesn't flex much, so something along those lines might suit you. Also, you might want to visit nibs.com, Classic Fountain Pens. They'll customize any nib to suit you. They're good folks - I've met them several times atpen shows.

P.S. 73 DE KG6JBF
smily_headphones1.gif

+10 points for being the first one to understand the username. That's actually my former call so 73 de WB1BVY.

I think the issue is i have small hands and tend to like to hold pens close to the tip since I write very small. Are there any fountain pens where pushing on the side of the nib doesn't cause immediate ink explosion? That is what turns me off from fountain pens more than anything.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #989 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the sensa cloud 9 takes a very specific refill since it's pressurized and kind of an odd size.

Some pens that might meet your fine-point needs are the Hi-Tec C Cavalier, and the Zebra Sharbo.

I'm a connoisseur of needle-point pens, tend not to write with anything over .5mm.

thanks,

I've actually been looking at the zebra sharbo, but i've been trying to find the multipen versions of them, which is not too easy on ebay.

And as for the fountain pen thing, I think i'm in the same predicament as you.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #990 of 2,804
I think my issue is that I write in very, very classic Getty method italics, and I need an italic nib, which isn't the stock configuration on anything that costs less than my headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jetpens has the Sharbo X Multipen: Zebra Sharbo X Multi Pen System

For multipens I actually really like one of the cheapest multipens, the Hi-Tec C Coleto. Don't know why I'm so attached to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back