Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Dec 9, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #2,733 of 2,804

Some travel channel show, it wasn't related to pens in any way.  This guy was supposed to be a reporter taking notes.

Looks like he's drawing something.

And I can understand using the nib turned upside down gives thinner lines....I do that myself sometimes for pens with bold nibs.

This is the only explanation I can think of.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,735 of 2,804
Maybe, but what is going on with that nib - a of trick of the shadows? It looks like some kind of fude nib of which one half can't agree with the other half about which direction is up. (much like the user)

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,736 of 2,804
Maybe, but what is going on with that nib - a of trick of the shadows? It looks like some kind of fude nib of which one half can't agree with the other half about which direction is up. (much like the user)

Nah, it looks like a piece of rolled up paper fiber that's stuck in between the tines. Happens when the paper is too wet.

Well, this reminds me of another scenario. I too do this if my nib catches some loose fibers of the page, reverse the nib and try to write so that the nib can free itself of these ink leechers.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #2,737 of 2,804
I've always liked browsing this thread, so it's a shame to see the activity come to a trickle.

I have been using a lot of Nioi-Sumire these days. I've inked it up in my VP at least 3 times last month (it's using the CON-50, but at my rate of writing that's still a lot of ink usage, especially with a F/EF).

(Apologies for the poor shots, the skys have been overcast all week and I could only find a point-and-shoot handy.)

I was using a lot of blue-black in this pen, but it became apparent that I've shifted to darker blues that lean a bit to purple. Some of the blue-blacks leaned a bit too much towards teal for me; and I'm talking about ones like Diamine Denim, not the classic teal-leaning blue-blacks like the Waterman or the Sheaffer - I understand why the vintage ones are so teal. I'm looking forward to picking up some Regency Blue this week. Meanwhile Nioi-Sumire is filling the niche in a different way (it's like a slightly bluer Ultramarine, although that could just be due to batch variation).

I enjoy the sheen and saturation on Sailor inks, and the Four Seasons line are so readily available, both locally and online, that I'm rather content with the lineup. The fancier lines like Kingdom Note and Bungbox are nice, but they aren't phasing me; plus the Canadian dollar is just so weak. I've started a new cupboard for easier access to my most-used inks, after having filled the one beneath it, and half of them are all Sailors (Souten, Tokiwa-Matsu, Nioi-Sumire, and Shigure). I've noticed that Atsu (cool-japan on eBay) has Kobe inks available again. I plan on getting #7, Kaikyo Blue, just to see if it doesn't lean to teal like in the pictures.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2,738 of 2,804
I've always hated teal, BUT lately I have been enjoying ama iro which is more light blue but still has some tealish leanings and is far lighter than I usually can tolerate, and yama dori which just has so much character you have to like it. Before now I've always stayed away from most blues of any kind because they always leave me feeling like I just wrote something with a ball point pen for some reason.

(images taken from Jetpens)

I also have shingure, oku yama, and tokwa matsu, but I haven't played with them enough ... if at all.. to form an opinion.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,739 of 2,804
I've managed to keep myself away from Yama-dori and Oku-yama (also Doyou), as I'm not as enthralled with the colours as I was the other colours. I really liked deep teals at one point but they've fallen out of favour (this is also true for Ku-jaku, Emerald of Chivor, anything teal with substantial sheen - I've missed the train on a lot of popular things). The Four Seasons all share a similar level of sheen (although Oku-yama sheens yellow-ish) so it's no big loss. The only one left I'm itching to grab a bottle of is Miruai, almost finished the sample. Really digging "alternative", "murky" greens lately. Something interesting I've noticed is that Souten has the strongest scent of phenol out of all of the inks in the Four Seaason lineup. It could also just be my bottle in particular. Nioi-Sumire has the phenol, but it is less distinct - although I am primarily using it in a Hobonichi which has a smell of its own.

There is a set that includes the 15mL Ama-iro that also has Fuyu-Gaki, and more importantly Syo-ro. Unfortunately, the local store is charging 60CAD due to the value of the dollar as well as customs fees (one of the staff agreed that it was ridiculous and that they might not order them in the future). The regular 50mL bottles here are ~$40. I would dearly lke to try a whole bottle of Syo-ro and Ina-ho, the other Iro colours overlap too much with what I currently have.

On ballpoints, I had been looking hard for an ink that simulated the Royal Blue colour of ballpoints in something a bit more saturated and pizazz-y. The Parker Penman Sapphire comparison thread on FPN really helped a lot. I believe I've found it in Diamine's Blue Velvet (alternatively, Kobe Maya Lapis), although the store here that stocks it is all out of bottles.

Feb 7, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #2,740 of 2,804
Still enjoy them although they don't see as much use these days since I retired.  Was always partial to brown tone inks (e.g. Waterman Havana, etc.)
wink.gif

Pelikan M1000  Green,  OBB 18kt nib                                                                           
 Waterman Le Man 100   Black,  OB 18kt nib                                 
 Waterman Le Man 100   Tulipwood, OB 18kt nib                                                    
 Waterman Le Man 100   Opera,  ST 18kt nib       
 Waterman Liaison  Orange Woodgrain (ebonite), ST 18kt nib                               
 Platinum  Composer  Black w/twin tine “Music” 14kt nib                                                   
 Waterman (Graduate Slim? Cotele?)  Grey enamal, B gilded nib                              
 Waterman Phileas  Gray marble, M gilded nib                                                    
 Waterman Exclusive  Bordeaux lacquer, F 18kt nib                                                
 Waterman Phileas  Green marble, F gilded nib

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #2,741 of 2,804

Hi,

These last few posts have fully made me appreciate how fortunate (or, perhaps, unfortunate?) I am to be colour blind - one variable less for me to get carried away while pursuing... :)

I mostly stick with Parker Quink (royal blue) as it is does what it says on the label (and my local stationery store only stocks it in blue, not black)

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,742 of 2,804
I think it's fortunate. I have stopped buying pens completely, but in general I still get an ink every few months or so. One of my relatives is colour-blind (blue-yellow?) - I've set them up with all black inks, while the other seems to enjoy Lie de The quite a bit, which happens to be a favourite of mine as well. Inks are attractive to me as they have cross-over value to interests outside of fountain pens.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,745 of 2,804
  I think it's fortunate. I have stopped buying pens completely, but in general I still get an ink every few months or so. One of my relatives is colour-blind (blue-yellow?) - I've set them up with all black inks, while the other seems to enjoy Lie de The quite a bit, which happens to be a favourite of mine as well. Inks are attractive to me as they have cross-over value to interests outside of fountain pens.

I share this thought as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back