Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]

1. Tangster
    Ehh, one Safari is enough for me. I'm not really going to collect safari's for the sake of it.

2. TwinQY
    It would be nice if Lamy would do colours for the 2000. And none of this "Black Amber" stuff. I know they did it with Ives and his RED edition. But maybe that wasn't Makralon. There's probably still a way to colour fibreglass though. Probably not cost-effective for them to do it though. And they probably don't want to, when painting Safaris year after year seems to be working well for them. I heard Dark Lilac sold out last year (the ink that is, don't remember if the pen did as well).

3. TwinQY
    Got Deep Sea in last week, loving the colour, flow, everything. Weather's been great lately so I might take a picture tomorrow morning. Also got in a 50mL bottle of Syo-ro recently. It's interesting that there are a lot of superb-performing inks in this colour range (well, Yama-Dori sometimes stains, but that seems to be from the saturation rather than the quality of the dye). Blue-blacks, greens, and things in between seem to exhibit better flow/lubrication overall. But I'm still of the opinion that teals bluer than Yama-Dori are akin to Beef Gurewitch. Don't eat it!

Also got in a full bottle of Grey Plum. Seems better flowing than my sample, also more saturated. More of a distinct KWZ smell too.

Wondering what to do with this bottle of Honey. Nothing to really ink it up with (needs a wet, smooth nib - even the C823 was not enough...). Plus, Lie de The basically fills any niche it would have filled (I got it under the impression that it would have been more velvety/lubricated than LdT, which flows fine but sort of has that raw feel to it).

Also, loving the Wing Sung 698s. Cheaper TWSBI Ecos without that "squared-off" look, more of a 580 clone. Plus, nib unit unscrews. Con - won't fit any fancy-pancy #6 nibs (not looking to do much, maybe just a stub). People have speculated that the tooling was bought off from whatever factory had been making the Pilot 78Gs (hence the 659s). The nibs are basically identical to the Pilot "Super Quality" nibs, but the pens don't seem to fit an actual Pilot "Super Quality". At least, not the one I tried (although I didn't try very hard). The nibs that they come with are pretty consistent though, I've had similar experiences with the Metro and Prera nibs. Super round blobby tipping plopped onto a nail, makes for smooth writing at any angle. I've kept two in the kitchen for quick jots. Have them inked with Kin-Mokusei and Chu-Shu (I think, apart from Yuki-Akari, Fuji-Musume, and Irori, I have the entire Four Season line, in either bottle or sample form).

Out of the 4 Wing Sung "Super Quality" nibs I've got, the 3 Fines (which correspond to the Pilot mediums) have been perfect, while the Extra-Fine (which correspond to the Pilot fines) has been a bit scratchy, at least a bit more so than my Prera Fs, but not terrible. Hard to get something at that nib width to go smoother, but I've experienced it in other pens.

I think I made a post about Sailor Nagasawa-Kobe #25 Tarumi Apricot a while back, and now that I've got Kin-Mokusei (which I recall saying that I would not get, might not have been on this forum), I find the latter to be basically Apricot (that's nothing new, but it is welcome). This comparison is a decent representation of the differences between the two: http://macchiatoman.com/blog/2016/9/10/ink-comparison-oranges. Although, #25 is less pink/has more shading in practice.

wink likes this.
  4. some1x
    Got into the hobby too late. Omas already went out of business. Can't stop collecting them. Love the aesthetics and materials. The celluloid pens are beautiful beyond words. One thing I really like about Omas pistons is that they draw a maximum fill on first try (a lot of piston converters I've used only seem to get 70% fill on first try). Nib performance is really good. A couple I bought used needed slight adjustments (resetting feed and flossing the tines). Generally, Omas nibs are smoother, wetter, and have more interesting shading than my Sailor nibs. Favorite pens are the Ogiva Arco Brown and the Vintage Paragon Arco Verde. 

2016_1121_14400700.jpg

5. Digitalis
    It is shame Omas went out of business, I have an Emotica which is a pen with a titanium nib with highly variable line width. For common writing I use a Lamy Safari, which does fine with an EF nib with Visconti blue ink. I have several other Lamy pens I use with nibs that go all the way to 1.9mm. I also have a fine selection of inks from Noodlers - Apache sunset is a personal favorite, I also got a set of CMY inks from noodlers so I can mix whichever colour I want - which is a lot of fun.

6. RazorJack
    So glad that fountain pens are not extinct (yet?) !!!

I got two Lamy Safari's (red and black, both with a converter and fine nibs) and a Lamy 2000 (medium nib).

As for bottled ink, I got several from Akkerman.

German/Dutch pride :)