Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Aug 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #2,509 of 2,804
I went to the DC pen show again this year, and again left with no money!

I had a few pens on the list that I wanted to check out, but I've mainly had my eye on a Visconti Homo Sapiens recently.  After doing some price shopping around, I grabbed one from the Anderson Pens table:

This is the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Oversize with a fine, 23kt Palladium nib.  It's a nice big, heavy pen and the lava material has a great feel to it.  The nib is also a joy to use; nice and smooth, with a surprisingly springy feel (I wouldn't call it flexible, but there is some line variation).  This will certainly make it into the everyday pen rotation!

I know that most of you aren't vintage pen guys, so may not find this one exciting, but I completed my Sheaffer PFM set by picking up this PFM IV:

It needs a little cleaning and maybe some restoration, but I've never seen a PFM IV for this price, so I couldn't pass it up.

I also picked up another Parker 51, this one a vacumatic, in the slightly rare navy gray color, along with a bottle of Visconti Turquoise ink, but didn't snap any pictures of them.

Besides Tangster's nice Lamy 2K BP (I do like the blackwood!), any other new acquisitions?

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #2,511 of 2,804
Glad to see this thread is going strong.

I'd love to see Lamy do a 2000 FP in wood. Even the Studio would be a good design to implement in wood.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #2,512 of 2,804
For obvious reasons, this thread appears strongest in cold weather months. Autumn should see things picking up. Or at least my own writing picks up during autumn and winter...in SoCal of all places. 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #2,513 of 2,804
This might seem blatantly obvious, though I'd like to remind readers to clean their fps.

I use Diamine's registrar ink on my Pelikan and got lazy on my previous cleanup(s). I'm not sure how it is with other ink types (since I've only used this one) but given time the iron-gall will form a coating anywhere within the barrel, all the way through the nib. For a piston-filler pen this means you have to clean the piston mechanism AND the area that connects the barrel to the feed. And yes unless you plan on taking the whole thing apart, you need a flashlight to inspect the bottom of the barrel properly.

Barring drastic measures, you can gauge how clean the system is by doing some sort of drip test and a shakedown kinda thing.

It works for me, ymmv : D

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,514 of 2,804
Akabeth, tips in this thread are always welcome. As well as
biggrin.gif
reminders. I've owned my twin Pilot Metal Falcon pens for two years now and routinely take them apart and flush every 30 days. Occasionally, going into week 6 
rolleyes.gif
 but always on it. And happily so! I absoultely love the way they write.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #2,515 of 2,804
J. Herbin Stormy Grey: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/273379-jherbin-1670-stormy-grey-photos/

want...
L3000.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #2,516 of 2,804
I finally entered the world of fountain pens.
Received my Falcon last week, and it's wonderful. Fits well in my hand, writes smoothly and with a clean line.
The nib is not soft... from what I understand 'soft' to be, but somewhat yielding.

It is a joy to use.

Quote:

Old doodle with a personal favorite pen, the resin Falcon.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #2,517 of 2,804
Sep 15, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,518 of 2,804

Also want!
tongue_smile.gif

I have his sanguine sibling winging her way to me right now.

I'm keen to try a Falcon sometime - f-pens are like headphones, so hard to find someplace to audition.

This arrived late last week, but I haven't even inked her up yet.

eek.gif

You found time for food & drink and no ink?! 

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2,519 of 2,804
Well not a lot of food actually, but admittedly some drink :beerchug:. Besides, once you have kids, weekends are no longer yours.

In truth, I'm expecting another well sealed package today or tomorrow containing, among other things sundry, Yama-guri, Lie de Thé, and Oxblood. I wanted to see if one of those might make a better inaugural ink than what I happen to have on hand at the moment.

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #2,520 of 2,804
Well not a lot of food actually, but admittedly some drink
beerchug.gif
. Besides, once you have kids, weekends are no longer yours.

In truth, I'm expecting another well sealed package today or tomorrow containing, among other things sundry, Yama-guri, Lie de Thé, and Oxblood. I wanted to see if one of those might make a better inaugural ink than what I happen to have on hand at the moment.

I love all three of those inks. Diamine Syrah which is similar to Oxblood is another fave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back