Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Oct 22, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #346 of 2,804
^That is absolutely bizaare man. Every Pilot pen I've ever seen has had "Made In Japan" printed on the packaging and on the refills. Why would the "Japanese" refills be of superior quality when they are manufactured in the same country as our refills?

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #348 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is an appropriate place to post some pictures I took for a review over at FPN.
smily_headphones1.gif

snip

Way to advertise!
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #350 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^That is absolutely bizaare man. Every Pilot pen I've ever seen has had "Made In Japan" printed on the packaging and on the refills. Why would the "Japanese" refills be of superior quality when they are manufactured in the same country as our refills?

I have no idea why this Pilot pen is not available in the USA by Pilot pens USA nor why you cannot buy a 1.0mm refill?

Pilot pens bought in the USA are made in Jacksonville, Fla by Pilot Pen USA.

The pen and refill pictured above are made in Japan since they were bought in a Japanese stationary store and the writing on the pen/refill was in Japanese.

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #353 of 2,804
^^ The result of excessive extreme pen tricks?
tongue.gif

Managed to keep my pointer away from the bid button for a 51 and Duofold. I don't know how I managed to do that... Scouring FPN for a nice 51 that doesn't break the bank.

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #354 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ The result of excessive extreme pen tricks?
tongue.gif

Managed to keep my pointer away from the bid button for a 51 and Duofold. I don't know how I managed to do that... Scouring FPN for a nice 51 that doesn't break the bank.

I had to place a self-imposed restriction on my "51" purchases so I wouldn't just gobble up everyone I see on FPN and the GB. At this time I only purchase sterling capped "51s", which means I only purchase vacs, since no aerometric came with sterling silver caps. So far I only have two: a black and a lovely cordovan brown, both F nib and SJ (DJs are out of my price range, though I do hope to one day own one, maybe in cedar blue
icon10.gif
).

Having said that, I did just sort of cheat on my limit rule. I bought a Bexley 51, gold cap aero filler. Howard Levy of the Bexley company, probably my favorite modern producer of pens, made a few custom 51 bodies using 51 guts before he really got started into Bexleys. The one I purchased is a reddish mottled hard rubber. I should be receiving it this week. Basically its like my favorite pen company and my favorite pen rolled into one.
icon10.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #355 of 2,804
Pilot vanishing point -- best FP for everyday use.
Rotring 600 FP, just because it looks cool. Not that great for writing. Too stiff.
Pilot Bamboo FP -- beautiful and great writing pen, got that in Tokyo
Someday maybe get on of these

P.K.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #356 of 2,804
jjhatfield, I would kill for a mint sterling SJ cordovan brown 51 vac! DJ would cost a pretty penny
evil_smiley.gif
Cedar blue is also a stunning colour. It's quite difficult to find silver capped 51s without dents or scratches...

I have a couple questions. Do sterling caps sometimes come with jeweller's bands? Also, are the caps silver plated or actually sterling silver?

There's this gorgeous GF w/ band, BlueDiamond, cedar blue 51 vac in near-mint condition. Does 170-190 sound like a decent price?

EDIT: found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1951-NEW-PARKE...ayphotohosting

LMAO @ $950 value! You could just about buy three DJs with that money... Why does he claim it's 14k solid gold when it looks to me like a mint set of lustraloys? I wouldn't pay more than 200 for 'em both.

On the plus side, a gorgeous pen: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-NOS-MI...QQcmdZViewItem

I need to eat, so can't buy it
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #357 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO @ $950 value! You could just about buy three DJs with that money... Why does he claim it's 14k solid gold when it looks to me like a mint set of lustraloys? I wouldn't pay more than 200 for 'em both.

The "Philip Benz" collection is a joke in pen circles. It's good for a laugh. He's been doing it for awhile, so I guess there's one born every minute.

I'm not a fan of the Parker 51. Most write too much like a nail. I did find a nice Signet with a flex BBB nib that's loads of fun, but it's not your normal 51 by a long shot. Mainly been collecting Chilton's, Conklin's and Carter's lately (with a certain number of Waterman's in the mix).

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #358 of 2,804
I just bought a Lamy Safari LE White, mostly because of this thread.

It is my first FP, I actually really like it and it fits all my needs for a product. It is cheap as far as these things go, is basically indestructible, and writes well enough to hang with the big boys(at least according to reviews).

Almost everything I own is black(the only thing I didn't like about my im716s was that they were ipod white) but I think the color was a decent choice.

My next pen will either be the Mont Blanc Chopin like the OP of this thread or the MB Mozart. That is a LONG way off though.

I want to buy a Parker Jotter as a ballpoint pen to complement this.

I am using Lamy cartridge ink for now until I read enough ink reviews to figure out what type I want to buy.

Sorry about the pic quality, I will have to go back and take better ones.

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #359 of 2,804
For those of you who have followed some of the messages regarding my pens, please be advised that I now carry private labeled 18 karat gold nibs for my fountain pens. They come in fine, medium and broad. Please feel free to contact me through my website.

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #360 of 2,804
what pen do you guys recommend for a daily-user, writing, drawing, a little doodling and sketching..etc? very cheap; < $20. i normally use automatic pencil but suddenly i feel the need for a pen! i'd really like to try a fountain pen or something smooth like that. how feasible are they for daily writers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back