Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Nov 8, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #376 of 2,804
I heard someone call Mont Blanc the Bose of Pen-Fi. Is that really true? I guess the ballpoints would fit that description, since you can just put a MB refill in a G2(I had one in a Sanford, not sure where it is though). Their FPs on the other hand are the most appealing to me. I really like the design of the Lamy Safari, but other than that(and a couple other Lamy models) I generally don't like the designs of most FPs. Month Blanc however seem to be much more elegant and refined, I really love the black and the simplicity of the Meisterstuck ones. The price could use some work though...

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #377 of 2,804
I don't think it's fair to call Mont Blanc writing instruments the Bose of Pen-Fi. Bose audio equipment is looked down upon because they're not only expensive, but perform poorly too. Mont Blanc pens are expensive too, but are well built and have good ink delivery, nib smoothness. IMO, they are just a tad overpriced, but not really by that much. Other luxury pen makers like Conway Stewart, Graf von Faber Castell, Cartier, Caran d'Ache, Namiki, Dupont, Dunhill charge just as much, if not more, for a typical black resin gold/platinum-trimmed fountain pen. If you want good value for money, check out Parker, Waterman, Visconti, Pelikan, etc.

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #378 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard someone call Mont Blanc the Bose of Pen-Fi. Is that really true?

Not 100% true, but MB is often ridiculed by some pen enthusiasts for changing from a pen company to a "lifestyle" company. This doesn't change the fact that they make some great pens (though they are just a mite overpriced). I personally don't collect MBs, but I would love to own a Faulkner, that pen is gorgeous. But at $775 I just can't swing it. I could get a hand painted Nakaya Urushi pen for half that price.

The only pen company I spend stupid money on is Bexley. I have no problem dropping $300+ dollars on their higher end models.
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #379 of 2,804
Wow, I never thought that I would ever be this tempted by pens. The Mont Blanc Semiramis and Pope Julias II are amazing. Not exactly my conservative style, but I love them. I just wish I had an extra $3000 lying around somewhere. I would rather get it without the stupid diamond in the pen clip too. It seems to detract from the design and add a lot to the price. The Louis XIV is pretty nice looking too.

The Cigar Piccolo Nakaya Urushi is amazing as well, I actually even like it better than the Mont Blanc in terms of aesthetic value, although the "coolness" factor the Semiramis is hard to top.

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #380 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cigar Piccolo Nakaya Urushi is amazing as well, I actually even like it better than the Mont Blanc in terms of aesthetic value, although the "coolness" factor the Semiramis is hard to top.

The Nakaya long writer model in reddish-red or blackish-red tamenuri is a dream pen of mine.
tongue.gif
Huge pen, I know, but it would be a stay at home desk pen. I'd get the clipless version and buy a urushi pen pillow for it.

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #382 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love a reddish red tamenuri cigar decapod w/ two-tone F nib and gold zo-gan... That was a mouthful
biggrin.gif

And the funny thing is I know exactly what every word in that sentence means.
icon10.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #383 of 2,804
I bought a gorgeous pen today -

Yard-O-Led Viceroy Pocket Fountain Pen

Pictures don't do it justice but here they are anyway
tongue.gif

p1070559xr9.jpg

p1070562pg1.jpg

p1070565ez3.jpg

p1070563px1.jpg

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #385 of 2,804
hmm for the lamy safari users. Where did you pick up your pens and inks?

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #387 of 2,804
Alright all,

I'm new to fountain pens, but as much as I've been writing lately I've decided that I want to get some enjoyment out of it.
What would you suggest for at or under $200? I'd like to get something that will last me awhile as I want to try and not let pens become a hobby like audio has or I'll be flat broke.
Anyway, I've found a few I'm interested in. As of right now, the simplest Montblancs have most of my interest (among a few others I guess), but I'd definitely consider other recommended.
I'd really like one that must be loaded with ink rather than one that uses cartridges as this seems like it will make it more of an 'experience'

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #388 of 2,804
Will converter-filled do, or does it have to be piston-filled?

Most modern pens will accept both cartridges and converters, but there are also many which are piston-filled.

For less than $200, I would get a mint Parker 51 Vacumatic with a gold-filled cap. It is piston-filled and normally go for around $100.

Mont Blancs are also nice, but you won't get much for $200 unless you come across a used pen.

I personally haven't used them, but Visconti apparently make spectacular pens. $200 will just about buy you a gorgeous Van Gogh Maxi w/ 14k nib. It is cartridge/converter filled.

There's also the Caran d'Ache Ecridor series. Iirc, they are steel bodied, silver, then rhodium plated. I recently tested the fountain pen at a local pen shop and it writes pretty well. The nib is arguably not as good as a Graf von Faber Castell, Parker 51 or Mont Blanc, but it is certainly acceptable. They are priced at $175-220 and accept cartridge/converters.

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #389 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will converter-filled do, or does it have to be piston-filled?

Most modern pens will accept both cartridges and converters, but there are also many which are piston-filled.

For less than $200, I would get a mint Parker 51 Vacumatic with a gold-filled cap. It is piston-filled and normally go for around $100.

Mont Blancs are also nice, but you won't get much for $200 unless you come across a used pen.

I personally haven't used them, but Visconti apparently make spectacular pens. $200 will just about buy you a gorgeous Van Gogh Maxi w/ 14k nib. It is cartridge/converter filled.

There's also the Caran d'Ache Ecridor series. Iirc, they are steel bodied, silver, then rhodium plated. I recently tested the fountain pen at a local pen shop and it writes pretty well. The nib is arguably not as good as a Graf von Faber Castell, Parker 51 or Mont Blanc, but it is certainly acceptable. They are priced at $175-220 and accept cartridge/converters.

Thanks for your input. Your original post is actually one of the big reasons I decided to go with a nice FP. I remember coming across this about 1.5 years ago and I was immediately entranced by the Chopin and it's one that's probably at the top of my list. I've looked and they can be found for about $250 new on eBay and around $200-225 used (the standard one, not the platinum one you posted).
Using a converter is completely fine with me, piston would be preferred, but again, either way.
As far as the MB's go, I've found some that retail for around $350/400, that can be had for around $200 lightly used and some of the 'less-collectible' versions that could be found for around $200 new.
I actually came across the Van Gogh and thought it was an awesome looking pen.
I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the pens you mentioned and let you know if I find anything!

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #390 of 2,804
This week I received a wonderful gift from a good friend. A vintage Parker "51". This unit has the added peculiarity that at one time it appears was owned by His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I. Allegedly the pen is from his exile period in GB from 1936 to 1941. At least that is what the previous owner surmised from the engraving on the barrel (see pic below).

Currently I have done the first cleaning with cool water, this removed the vast majority of the old dried up ink. Then I filled it up with fresh black ink by Montblanc and I wrote about two pages worth of notes. My intent is to further work the ink into the little passages and further clean up any of the old ink not removed via the 12 hour cool water bath. Next I will soak it for an additional 12 hours in a cool water bath followed by a fill up and using it for a week or so to see how it writes.

As you can see from the barrel it has some wear which I may try to polish out with a plastic polish liquid. Or I may send it to have it done professionally. Have not decided yet. Anyways here are the pics, do not forget to click on the thumbnail to view the full size picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back