Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Feb 10, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #286 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I'm too lazy to look through 15 pages of a thread, I thought I'd post this. (Feel free to yell at me if it's a repost.)

With a little work (i.e., shaving off the end), the Mont Blanc rollerball refills fit into the G2 pens. Costs about $18 for two pens (plus two normal G2s, too) and writes beautifully. I can't say that I'd spend $200 on a pen, but then again, if I'm willing to spend that on headphones...

Eh.. Rollerballs are no fun.

The 21 writes a lot like the 51, and is much cheaper, so you can beat on it, and it wont matter. They are virtually the exact same size, and both have hooded nibs (obviously).

My 51 is Vaccumatic, but I bought it restored, so I shouldn't have a problem for a while.

I am expecting my 2 new 21's this week... one looks to be a super, as it has the 51 nib. I'm looking forward to restoring them!

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #287 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh.. Rollerballs are no fun.

Yeah, but what with spending all my money on headphones, even though I'd like a good fountain pen, it doesn't seem to be in the budget.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #288 of 2,804
Quote:

Yeah, but what with spending all my money on headphones, even though I'd like a good fountain pen, it doesn't seem to be in the budget.

Depends how you look at it: a fully working, restored Parker21 can be had for about 30-35. Not too bad IMHO

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #289 of 2,804
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends how you look at it: a fully working, restored Parker21 can be had for about 30-35. Not too bad IMHO

There are many good modern day entry level fountain pens for even less. Parker Frontier, Lamy Safari, Pelikan Pelikano etc. All very good fountain pens, just without the bling bling and fancy nibs. But still way better than a rollerball.

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #293 of 2,804
Quote:

The MB rollerball writes incredibly well though. There's no competition between it and a Parker rollerball.

I didn't have much luck with the MB rollerball refill in a G2. I think the G2 refills are better.
cool.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #294 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't have much luck with the MB rollerball refill in a G2. I think the G2 refills are better.
cool.gif

I tried putting a Cross rollerball refill in my G2, and it has to be one of my favorite pens. I didn't even have to trim down the refill, it fit perfectly right away. I have no qualms about tossing it around, and it writes very very nicely. The only problem is that it's out of ink after just three weeks of use! Luckily I bought two refills.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #295 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool.gif

I've only used MB rollerball in MB pens, but I doubt it makes a difference... Before my switch to fountain pens, I used to use the G2. Strictly speaking, the G2 is a gel pen. I don't really like the stickiness of the 'gel'. The ink flows better out of the MB rollerball and writes smoother. Whatever floats your boat
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #296 of 2,804
There's nothing inherently wrong with rollerballs or ballpoints. The reason they are so popular is because they write so well everytime with no upkeep.
biggrin.gif
What the fountain pen gives you is:

A) A feather touch on paper brings the ink out. This is the most immediate and satisfying part of writing with an FP: no pressing down on the page. A lot of folks with arthritis or other pains turn to FPs for this reason.

B) Being able to use bottled ink. There are a world of lovely colors you can purchase to refill your pens with. Ink collecting is fun.

C) Line variation. A BP or RP will write the same line, everytime. With FPs, not only do you have different options for line width, from needlepoint custom XXXXF to triple broad BBB, you can also have nibs ground to a variety of italic nibs, which provide wonderful line variation you simply cannot get from a BP or RB.

The con side is FPs require more skill and patience to use then RBs or BPs, and require occasional maintenance and cleaning. But to those who enjoy FPs, this becomes a labor of love. Flushing my pens at night has become an incredible calming ritual for me.
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #297 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MB rollerball writes incredibly well though. There's no competition between it and a Parker rollerball.

You're talking about refills? In which case, I really don't have experience with rb refills, but ballpoint-wise, pilot and many others > MB. If you're talking penwise, you might be losing it..
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back