Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Dec 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #2,611 of 2,804
I'm getting a Noodler Ahab for Xmas, and Noodler Bullet Proof Black, finally I'm getting an entry level pen. :p

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #2,613 of 2,804
I know there is a Sheaffer 100 and Noodler's Borealis Black under the tree for me. I'm so excited! (This will be my first fountain pen!)
Awesome! I was torn between the bullet proof and the Borealis, but I'm just assuming the bullet proof will dry faster, couldn't really find any info on that. :/ (also my first FP, I tried some **** 5 dollar eBay one and it broke almost instantly, so this will be my first decent one. :))

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,614 of 2,804
Awesome! I was torn between the bullet proof and the Borealis, but I'm just assuming the bullet proof will dry faster, couldn't really find any info on that. :/ (also my first FP, I tried some **** 5 dollar eBay one and it broke almost instantly, so this will be my first decent one. :))

I spent maybe a total of 10-15 hours researching ink. The Bernanke Black is the fastest drying, but also has horrible blead through. Apparently the Borealis is slightly blacker, a bit shinier, and dries a little faster. The largest difference between the two, however, is the bulletproof nature. This being my first time with bottle inks, I'd rather not go with a bulletproof ink, just in case I end up spilling on myself. Let me know how you like it!
And I might use the mylar on an old pair of apple earbuds to smooth out my nib. Combining hobbies! Woohoo!

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,615 of 2,804
Here's the ink I'm getting. I had a friend give out a rave review of the Ahab being the smoothest pen he's ever used after modding, and he owns ~$600 pens, so I'm pumped, I'll only mod it if I need to though. :)

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,616 of 2,804

It writes very smoothly, though is quite heavy on ink that bleed through sometimes becomes a problem depending on paper quality.

I also haven't figured out how to properly drain and clean this pen yet; the whole nib assembly does not come out when I pull it like my Parker pens do.

Hmm, good question, I'm not sure how the Graf von...'s come apart.  The nib/feed on my e-motion are friction fit, so pull straight out for cleaning.  You can also unscrew and remove that black plastic collar that holds the nib and feed.  I'm always worried about pulling nibs and feeds, so normally just use a bulb syringe to flush with water.

Nice ink too, one of my favorites!

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,617 of 2,804
My Rotring 600 just arrived. It's my first "proper" pen and about as costly as I can justify, considering I don't need to write a lot in my studies these days. First impression: it's going to take a while to get used to the weight.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #2,618 of 2,804
  My Rotring 600 just arrived. It's my first "proper" pen and about as costly as I can justify, considering I don't need to write a lot in my studies these days. First impression: it's going to take a while to get used to the weight.

It's the same weight as my Pilot Metal Falcons...love it! Writing instruments or silverware don't feel right to me when feather-light. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2,619 of 2,804
Just joined the pen-fi club. For Christmas I'm getting my first fountain pen, a Lamy CP1. But the inks I ordered are gonna be a bit late 
mad.gif
. Ordered two Pilot Iroshizuku inks, Shin-kai and Kosumosu after reading great reviews on the lineup.

BTW does anyone want to share about what inks they use/have used? Iroshizuku ink seems pretty expensive and I don't want to use them up too fast
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #2,620 of 2,804
  Just joined the pen-fi club. For Christmas I'm getting my first fountain pen, a Lamy CP1. But the inks I ordered are gonna be a bit late 
mad.gif
. Ordered two Pilot Iroshizuku inks, Shin-kai and Kosumosu after reading great reviews on the lineup.

BTW does anyone want to share about what inks they use/have used? Iroshizuku ink seems pretty expensive and I don't want to use them up too fast
biggrin.gif

Depends how you use it, I use my FP in uni and everyday. Engineering and not a writer, my 50mL last me forever, it still have more than half left.

That is using a fine Pilot VP, which does use little ink. Using a BB, Flex and other nib will increase usage.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,621 of 2,804
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

Iroshizuku inks:

1. Murasaki Shikibu (Lady Murasaki) - Purple
2. Ajisai Hydrangea - Purple Blue

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #2,622 of 2,804
I just got some Murasaki Shikibu a few weeks ago, but because of holiday travel I haven't had a good chance to put it through it's paces. It is gorgeous though!

My favourite black is Take-Sumi - love it. I wasn't a fan of Yama Guri, far too muddy, not enough brown. I have and like Yu Yake and Fuyu Gaki too.

Oh and, Merry Christmas everyone!

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2,623 of 2,804

Depends how you use it, I use my FP in uni and everyday. Engineering and not a writer, my 50mL last me forever, it still have more than half left.

That is using a fine Pilot VP, which does use little ink. Using a BB, Flex and other nib will increase usage.

That's good to know. How long does a full cartridge/fully inked pen usually last?

I might have to grab a bottle of ama-iro and kon-peki in the future. What can I say? I'm a sucker for those blue beauties.

Anyways, Merry Christmas and enjoy your holidays!

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #2,625 of 2,804

That's good to know. How long does a full cartridge/fully inked pen usually last?

I might have to grab a bottle of ama-iro and kon-peki in the future. What can I say? I'm a sucker for those blue beauties.

Anyways, Merry Christmas and enjoy your holidays!

Kon-peki is my everyday ink, very useable, not too light. Got gifted a bottle of ame-iro this Christmas, can't wait to try that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back