Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Dec 29, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #2,627 of 2,804
I just got some Murasaki Shikibu a few weeks ago, but because of holiday travel I haven't had a good chance to put it through it's paces. It is gorgeous though!

My favourite black is Take-Sumi - love it. I wasn't a fan of Yama Guri, far too muddy, not enough brown. I have and like Yu Yake and Fuyu Gaki too.

Oh and, Merry Christmas everyone!

thumbsup.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2,628 of 2,804
Turns out I don't like the Lamy CP1, its too skinny for my tastes yet as heavy/heavier than most 'regular' fountain pens. So I'm giving that one to my dad (he absolutely loves the slim metal design and dense feel of it) and ordered a Platinum #3776 Century on ebay.

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2,630 of 2,804
I received two Sheaffer 100's for Christmas. One from my mother and one from my girlfriend. Both silver. At first, I thought that I'd use them both, albeit with different colored inks, but then I realized I'd have to check by writing or at the least uncapping and looking at the nib creep before using, and this would be a total pain. Thus, I have not used the one with the medium nib, but am loving the one with the fine nib. Any chance anyone would want to trade for a similar value pen? TWSBI 580? This pen is honestly fantastic, I just would never be able to tell the difference and it would be a hassle.

Quick impressions. Holy moly does it write smooth! I only get feedback during long and fast strokes, other than that, it is pure silk. The pen is small. The same size as a cheap bic but just a tad thicker. This with the added weight makes it a tad uncomfortable to hold, but I'm sure I will adjust. No hard starts or anything, so reliable. Not only that, but the pen is gorgeous!

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #2,632 of 2,804
  I received two Sheaffer 100's for Christmas. One from my mother and one from my girlfriend. Both silver. At first, I thought that I'd use them both, albeit with different colored inks, but then I realized I'd have to check by writing or at the least uncapping and looking at the nib creep before using, and this would be a total pain. Thus, I have not used the one with the medium nib, but am loving the one with the fine nib. Any chance anyone would want to trade for a similar value pen? TWSBI 580? This pen is honestly fantastic, I just would never be able to tell the difference and it would be a hassle.

Quick impressions. Holy moly does it write smooth! I only get feedback during long and fast strokes, other than that, it is pure silk. The pen is small. The same size as a cheap bic but just a tad thicker. This with the added weight makes it a tad uncomfortable to hold, but I'm sure I will adjust. No hard starts or anything, so reliable. Not only that, but the pen is gorgeous!

This was my third fountain pen, but the fountain pen that really got me into the hobby.  I have the medium, and it is an amazingly smooth writer.  Still the most reliable writer I have (other than my Sailor 1911S.)

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2,633 of 2,804
To people in UK and not willing to get Iroshizuku ink due to price, now Amazon UK have them in stock with a much more reasonable price tag! £15.99 is still not a cheap bottle of ink, it never will be but this is far better than the price we used to get...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018HJVS6/

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #2,634 of 2,804
To people in UK and not willing to get Iroshizuku ink due to price, now Amazon UK have them in stock with a much more reasonable price tag! £15.99 is still not a cheap bottle of ink, it never will be but this is far better than the price we used to get...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018HJVS6/

Holy moly that's EXPENSIVE! I don't think I would pay more than $25USD for a bottle, considering I get them for around $19.50-$24 USD/(bottle+shipping) from amazon.com. You do know that there's a certain japanese e-retailer(and he ships worldwide) that sells them for $13.50 USD/bottle, right? 

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #2,635 of 2,804
May I ask, what is the obsessions with Iroshizuku ink? I mean, Noodler's has so many kinds and colors of inks, 3 oz for $12.50 from Goulet Pen company. I only hear good things about the Noodler's inks. Do the Pilot inks perform that much better?
To me, the difference I see is that the Pilot inks ALWAYS look gorgeous. Every color. Whereas with like, the Noodler's inks, some inks are bad or just look ugly. But I'd like to have someone broaden my horizons.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #2,636 of 2,804
You've kind of answered your own question. Attractive colours (well some of them), nice bottle, and properties you can depend upon. If you can find the colour you like, you know what you are getting. Noodler's is so variable, it is often hit or miss.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #2,638 of 2,804
Nice looking notebook. Has the cover a rigid backing?

I have recently been using a Seven Seas notebook and like it quite a bit. Not as classy as the leather on the Madori, mind you.

No rigid back. Just thick leather(a touch floppy maybe), not quite rustic but not refined either, not elegant, it is "just so". Really perfect for my needs. Paper is great. Odd size that works.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #2,640 of 2,804
  I wouldn't buy an Iroshizuku ink unless I really liked it, that and I live within cycling distance of the Diamine factory. :p

I'm with you. For $28 a bottle, a smaller bottle than the Noodler's, I can't justify it. At least not now with my student-sized budget.

Diamine Oxblood is such a great color. I'm definitely going to pick up a bottle when I get a second pen for colored inks.

Tangent. The feed on my Sheaffer 100 just clogged really badly. It was starting and stopped randomly and had a ton of feedback. Took the converter off, took a bulb syringe and shot water through the section but it didn't solve the problem. I yanked off the feed and nib, and held the nib up to the light. Little to my surprise, I couldn't see through the space between the tines at all. I poked around, squirted some water and air at the thing. After much time, I finally got the paper fragments out. I put it all back together and now it writes normally again. It was starting and stopping like crazy. Does this normally happen? I sure hope not, because it took me half an hour to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back