PCIe sound card recommendation
Jul 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #16 of 59
I'm willing to go along with the CMI8770 came out, then the CMI8788 with it's improvements came out later.
But, if you were C-Media, would it not be cheaper just to stop making the CMI8770 and just label some of it's CMI8788 a "CMI8770".
if the CMI8778 would work in the same PCB socket as the CMI8770.
But I'm just making guess on facts that I'm guessing on.

AMD will disable some of the features in a CPU and sell it at a lower model number and a cheaper price.
C-Media may do the exact same thing.

AFAIK the 8770 is not a newer chip - these are all OLD chips (like 2005 at least), they were produced to hit a wide range of markets. You have to remember, pre-Asus the 8788 was found on $200-ish cards and was relatively rare. The 8770 and some of the other mid-range chips were found on a variety of products from many manufacturers (like Auzen, Sondigo, etc). They competed with the Audigy and VIA Envy products (Chaintech, M-Audio, etc).

Some differences on the 8788/8768 series (which includes the 8770) -

8788 can do 192k, 8768 can do 96k
8788 can do 8ch input, 8768 can do 2ch
8768 has built-in codec (like SoundCore), 8788 relies on I2S (like Audigy/X-Fi/etc) for I/O

So they aren't the same thing.

The new C-Media website sucks though, so I can't find a nice big chart to post. But if memory serves, the 8788 is fairly close to the Audigy in terms of sheer processing power, and ahead of the Envy24 in both compute power and sophistication. It's a relatively powerful stand-alone DSP. The X-Fi absolutely beats it up though, and I suspect SoundCore does as well. So Asus has to make use of what the chip can do, and offload the rest to host. That's partly why EAX 5 is a Creative hat-trick.

The binning that AMD, nVidia, and Intel engage in is different in concept and somewhat unique to their situations. I forget which one pioneered it as a concept (nVidia popularized it for marketing purposes, but I don't think they were the first to do it).

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #17 of 59
Quote:
8788 can do 8ch input, 8768 can do 2ch

I think the 8768 is 6-channel, not 2-channel.
The 8768 is used on the Xonar DG & DGX and they are 6-channel sound card.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #18 of 59
I think the 8768 is 6-channel, not 2-channel.
The 8768 is used on the Xonar DG & DGX and they are 6-channel sound card.

Input.

Not output.

Very few audio processors can do 8x8 because it's such an obscure feature for consumers. Envy24, 8788, Audigy, and maybe one or two others are the only models that come to mind off-hand.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 59
I've never understood blindly boycotting multinational corporations, but if that's what does it for you - that's alright. :xf_eek:
Anyways, the Asus cards use the same chips as the HT Omega and Auzen cards (except for the X-Fi Auzen cards, which are becoming rare), so they have relatively similar featuresets. DTS Connect, as Nameless said, is not really rare, and there's not "differing quality implementations" - you either pay DTS and have their software, or you don't. As far as overall quality - they're going to be the same thing for passing surround sound via S/PDIF. You don't want to use either for listening to music; put the card into stereo and feed PCM out.
If Sondigo is still around, the Inferno was/is the cheapest way to get on the 8788 train, and iirc it used pretty close to reference drivers. Otherwise Asus is probably the best choice if you're bent-up about Creative (I'd suggest the Recon3D if not).
All of this will cap at 5.1 unless you have a receiver with 7.1 analog in, and a card with 7.1 analog out (good luck finding all of that these days!) and bass management (which is even harder to find in audio drivers). Your receiver, however, can probably interpolate up to 6.1 or 7.1 with relative ease, using Neo:6 or Pro Logic II. I wouldn't suggest it for games, but for movies it probably won't be bad.

Its not that I'm boycotting the multinational corp to make any sort of financial impact against them. Its not even that I dont recommend creative products to other people, I still do. Its just that I had a bad experience with the windows vista switch-over regarding drivers/alchemy/etc, I had a bad experience regarding linux driver support, I had a terrible experience regarding what to expect out of the X-fi Xtreme Audio Notebook (pcmcia "sound card"), had a terrible experience with their zen:Vision M, and every single time their customer support was less than accomodating and helpful in any way/shape/form. I know I wont make any difference to their business, but its their customer service that I dont want to deal with, and because of that I personally dont bother with their products henceforth. Heck, I even had a terrible webcam experience with them, and they still havent bothered releasing a proper windows vista driver for that one. In terms of audio quality or w/e though they are pretty good as long as you do your research first and know exactly what you are buying. A friend of mine bought their top of the line sound card and realized that he could have saved himself 75% of his money if he had not bothered with the external decoder box. Kind of like what the Claro XT (i think) does, but the claro XT only goes up like 20 bucks in price or something.

Another thing that didnt fly at all in my book was that someone released drivers for creative sound cards that worked WAY better than creative's own drivers under 64bit, and creative forced that guy to take them down by threatening legal action. They were closed source and everything, and creative's actions made no sense whatsoever.

I'm willing to go along with the CMI8770 came out, then the CMI8788 with it's improvements came out later.
But, if you were C-Media, would it not be cheaper just to stop making the CMI8770 and just label some of it's CMI8788 a "CMI8770".
if the CMI8778 would work in the same PCB socket as the CMI8770.
But I'm just making guess on facts that I'm guessing on.

AMD will disable some of the features in a CPU and sell it at a lower model number and a cheaper price.
C-Media may do the exact same thing.

EDIT, just figured out the CMI8770 appears to a version of the 8768.
The only difference is the 8770 has the added feature to work with DTS.

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsIndex.aspx?ClassifySerno=28

Found this, looks like the newer CMedia things support the master HD audio codecs or something. Not that it really matters, I dont have blu-ray or anything like that. I also have no idea how I would go about connecting this sort of sound card to a receiver given that center/sub is coded on the same channel. No worries, as long as the DTS Connect is there and as long as I can do S/PDIF to my DAC (and future receiver) I'm good. ALso, this price point is incredibly difficult to beat, also this will keep my sound card with tons of air flow since its PCIeX1 instead of PCI. I can post a pic if you guys are interested, I have to open her up soon anyways. It only leaves about 4mm of clearance if I use a PCI sound card.

Using that adapter doohicky doesnt bother me as long as there is actual optical output there.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #20 of 59
Its not that I'm boycotting the multinational corp to make any sort of financial impact against them. Its not even that I dont recommend creative products to other people, I still do. Its just that I had a bad experience with the windows vista switch-over regarding drivers/alchemy/etc, I had a bad experience regarding linux driver support, I had a terrible experience regarding what to expect out of the X-fi Xtreme Audio Notebook (pcmcia "sound card"), had a terrible experience with their zen:Vision M, and every single time their customer support was less than accomodating and helpful in any way/shape/form. I know I wont make any difference to their business, but its their customer service that I dont want to deal with, and because of that I personally dont bother with their products henceforth. Heck, I even had a terrible webcam experience with them, and they still havent bothered releasing a proper windows vista driver for that one. In terms of audio quality or w/e though they are pretty good as long as you do your research first and know exactly what you are buying. A friend of mine bought their top of the line sound card and realized that he could have saved himself 75% of his money if he had not bothered with the external decoder box. Kind of like what the Claro XT (i think) does, but the claro XT only goes up like 20 bucks in price or something.
Another thing that didnt fly at all in my book was that someone released drivers for creative sound cards that worked WAY better than creative's own drivers under 64bit, and creative forced that guy to take them down by threatening legal action. They were closed source and everything, and creative's actions made no sense whatsoever.

After years in IT and in and around the hobby community, all I read was: Vista is broken. Blame Microsoft that nothing works. :rolleyes:

To get more specific:
You had Vista at release - nothing worked.
X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook is not a real X-Fi, it's an all software cheap-seats part.
The rest is irrelevant to this discussion.

Creative is like Sony - if you buy their higher-end/flagship stuff, it works nicely, if you cheap out, go with Panasonic. :wink:

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsIndex.aspx?ClassifySerno=28
Found this, looks like the newer CMedia things support the master HD audio codecs or something. Not that it really matters, I dont have blu-ray or anything like that. I also have no idea how I would go about connecting this sort of sound card to a receiver given that center/sub is coded on the same channel. No worries, as long as the DTS Connect is there and as long as I can do S/PDIF to my DAC (and future receiver) I'm good. ALso, this price point is incredibly difficult to beat, also this will keep my sound card with tons of air flow since its PCIeX1 instead of PCI. I can post a pic if you guys are interested, I have to open her up soon anyways. It only leaves about 4mm of clearance if I use a PCI sound card.
Using that adapter doohicky doesnt bother me as long as there is actual optical output there.

No, none of those support the new HD codecs - "HD" is just bandied around on everything under the sun (from sunglasses to pick-up trucks) because it's the new buzzword.

You can't run DTS Connect into a non-DTS decoder, btw. So any stand-alone audiophile DAC won't do it. As far as how to connect everything else: you use three RCA to TRS adapters and feed the six RCA leads into the analog inputs. But you need bass management to be handled by the soundcard (because the receiver won't do it for analog inputs (the ones that do are MAJORLY expensive)). They're just using the same stereo TRS to feed two signals, LFE and C.

And again, there's no reason for DTS over Dolby. That's just yet another myth that refuses to die. Both will work, and Dolby is probably easier to get to and deploy.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #21 of 59
Quote:
Creative is like Sony - if you buy their higher-end/flagship stuff, it works nicely, if you cheap out, go with Panasonic.
wink.gif

Makes 110% sence to me.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #22 of 59
Makes 110% sence to me.

I'm not trying to be "harsh" in saying that - just looking at the Audigy SE which is actually a Live! era card, and it's been re-packed all the way up through X-Fi. It's been $40 since like 2002. But if you lay down $100-$150, you get whatever their latest DSP and software package is.

Sony is much the same way - avoid the cheap seats because they don't last. But the ES stuff (and stuff that would otherwise make the ES cut but isn't branded as such, like Wega, PlayStation, Qualia, etc) generally runs forever.

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #23 of 59
Thats actually exactly why i still recommend the higher end creative stuff to people. However, personally I stay away from them solely because of their customer service. I stay away from sony because of their closed minded business practices and the way they handled the PSP and everything. I stay away from HP because of their customer service and my experience with them also. It doesnt mean they dont make quality products. Hell, look at the Pioneer VSX-522k receiver. Its their lowest end budget receiver, and its the one i am potentially targetting. In no way does it represent what the company is capable of as a whole. And if I buy a pair of crappy 11 dollar headphones from them, that wont represent them as a company either. However, I was just put off by my experiences with the above companies so I dont try to actively boycott their things, I just dont buy their things myself. If a friend asks me about my opinion on their products, I tell them honestly what I think of that product. I just recommended an HP laptop to a family member (warranty didnt really apply out there). If someone was going for a cheap creative product, i'd tell them it was crap, and if someone was going for a higher end creative product i'd tell them it was good (and have done so on reddit).

Its not that I had vista at launch either. This was after SP1 was released. It had been long enough for them to release a proper set of drivers and everything. And they came through eventually for windows 7.

In any case, It is exactly for the reasons stated above that I USUALLY attempt to save up all of my money and buy the very best product that a company has to offer, their flagship per se. However, in this case, I had a specific requirement and getting a flagship product wouldnt really help me do anything but exhaust the money I want to spend on a product that will actually do the DAC work.

I might be doing a CPU/Mobo upgrade way down the line, because right now my cpu is 5 years old, a Q6600 SLACR. The new motherboard probably will have onboard sound anyways, but I dont know of a good way to get uncompressed LPCM from a computer to a receiver without having multiple s/pdif connections or something ridiculous like that.

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #25 of 59
Thats actually exactly why i still recommend the higher end creative stuff to people. However, personally I stay away from them solely because of their customer service. I stay away from sony because of their closed minded business practices and the way they handled the PSP and everything. I stay away from HP because of their customer service and my experience with them also. It doesnt mean they dont make quality products. Hell, look at the Pioneer VSX-522k receiver. Its their lowest end budget receiver, and its the one i am potentially targetting. In no way does it represent what the company is capable of as a whole. And if I buy a pair of crappy 11 dollar headphones from them, that wont represent them as a company either. However, I was just put off by my experiences with the above companies so I dont try to actively boycott their things, I just dont buy their things myself. If a friend asks me about my opinion on their products, I tell them honestly what I think of that product. I just recommended an HP laptop to a family member (warranty didnt really apply out there). If someone was going for a cheap creative product, i'd tell them it was crap, and if someone was going for a higher end creative product i'd tell them it was good (and have done so on reddit).
Its not that I had vista at launch either. This was after SP1 was released. It had been long enough for them to release a proper set of drivers and everything. And they came through eventually for windows 7.
In any case, It is exactly for the reasons stated above that I USUALLY attempt to save up all of my money and buy the very best product that a company has to offer, their flagship per se. However, in this case, I had a specific requirement and getting a flagship product wouldnt really help me do anything but exhaust the money I want to spend on a product that will actually do the DAC work.
I might be doing a CPU/Mobo upgrade way down the line, because right now my cpu is 5 years old, a Q6600 SLACR. The new motherboard probably will have onboard sound anyways, but I dont know of a good way to get uncompressed LPCM from a computer to a receiver without having multiple s/pdif connections or something ridiculous like that.

"Uncompressed LPCM" is redundant - PCM is lossless/uncompressed by nature. S/PDIF gets you two channels, HDMI gets you up to 8. You can't do "multiple S/PDIF." For videogames it won't really matter if you go DDL/DTS:C with S/PDIF, for DVDs I'd just bitstream the AC-3/DTS data out, and for music stereo PCM is the ideal unless you listen to multi-channel DVD-A or similar on your PC. Doesn't that Pio do HDMI audio? Just feed your graphics card into that.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #26 of 59
Nvidia graphics card is limited to 2 channel sound output. I said "uncompressed LPCM" because I wasnt sure if there was some software method to compress it, transport it, and then decompress it (like winrar on the fly or something). S/PDIF gets you 2 channels, but I cant think of a reason that multiple toslink/coax cables couldnt be used in the way that multiple RCA cables are used to transfer LPCM. I guess HDMI does that without requiring multiple cables though, or rather it does that but bundles the cables into a much more manageable package.

Why wont DDL/DTS:C matter? I'd love the elaboration on this. I thought DTS:C is a much higher quality compression method, like the difference between 128kbps MP3 vs 320kbps MP3 or something, though not as drastic. Obviously both would be high enough quality that one wouldnt notice except for on higher end equipment, if at all, but I feel like it would still irritate me regardless of whether or not i'd notice the difference between the two. Also, I recall something about DTS having discrete rear channels while dolby had interpolated rear channels or something like that. I read it a long time ago, I might be confusing it with something else entirely.

All I really NEED from the reciever is pre-amp outputs, and all I really NEED in terms of preamp outputs is front channel, or possibly rear channel preamp outs. The pioneer does this, but its not really a terribly future-smart purchase. It has HDMI audio but as I said, nvidia only supports 2 channel audio over HDMI and my motherboard has no HDMI. It has an S/PDIF header but no S/PDIF port, otherwise I woudlnt even bother with the sound card except for the DTS:C and DDL capabilities when I wanted them in the future.

Right now I'm using a borrowed stereo preamp/stereo power amp. The stereo preamp has pre-outs and i'm using them with a pair of Pioneer HPM-60's paired with Audioengine A5's and Dayton Audio Titanic Mk III subwoofer. Overall, it makes for a great 2.1 combination, (arguably 4.1) but the stereo image is rather lacking, especially given my horrible room acoustics. The dolby headphone capabilities of this sound card will help with gaming immediately, but the 5.1 capabilities are what i'm really looking forward to. And maybe eventually 7.1 once i'm not college broke.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #27 of 59
Nvidia graphics card is limited to 2 channel sound output.

Nothing I've ever heard of - plenty of HT guys run nVidia and ATi cards and stream 7ch. But it would not surprise me to hear that yet another HDMI related feature is broken. :xf_eek:

I said "uncompressed LPCM" because I wasnt sure if there was some software method to compress it, transport it, and then decompress it (like winrar on the fly or something).

Yeah, it's called Dolby Digital Live and/or DTS: Connect. But you lose some fidelity in the compression (but it doesn't matter, as I've told you three times now, for videogames or movies, because those are already heavily compressed).

S/PDIF gets you 2 channels, but I cant think of a reason that multiple toslink/coax cables couldnt be used in the way that multiple RCA cables are used to transfer LPCM.

Except that you can't use multiple transports or sync things up that way, and that S/PDIF does not work that way, and that it would have clocking issues. AES and ADAT can do this, but you don't want to know how much that costs. S/PDIF can do up to 7 channels (6.1) with Dolby Digital or DTS (as I've said, three times now).

I guess HDMI does that without requiring multiple cables though, or rather it does that but bundles the cables into a much more manageable package.

HDMI has a substantially (SUBSTANTIALLY) higher bandwidth, as opposed to S/PDIF. So it can carry more data. 8 channels of PCM audio is BIG (there's a reason Blu-ray still uses compression, albeit lossless compression).

Why wont DDL/DTS:C matter? I'd love the elaboration on this. I thought DTS:C is a much higher quality compression method, like the difference between 128kbps MP3 vs 320kbps MP3

Because they're extremely similar in principle and with games you're taking compressed audio in and sending it out, so as long as your "re-compression" isn't narrower than the inlet, it won't kill the fidelity (and in this case, that reigns true for the most part). DTS is not "much higher quality" - both can run right up to 1411kbps, neither live encoding method takes advantage of this though. DTS *technically* would have an edge at extreme HF (where nothing exists) because it doesn't sum, but they're so tight-lipped about what the Connect encoder actually does, it may very well be summing. The point is, it is *not* like the comparison you're making. For stereo music you do not want to use either of these methods, you want to send stereo PCM.

Obviously both would be high enough quality that one wouldnt notice except for on higher end equipment, if at all

Yet another myth.

Also, I recall something about DTS having discrete rear channels while dolby had interpolated rear channels or something like that. I read it a long time ago, I might be confusing it with something else entirely.

Pure fabrication. Dolby and DTS both provide 5.1 discrete, and 6.1 matrix (and DDL/DTS:C cannot do 6.1 EX/ES output, but if your receiver has PLIIx (or z) or Neo:6 it can apply the same matrix). Perhaps you're thinking of Dolby Surround (aka Dolby Pro Logic) which is four channels, and uses a mono, band-passed surround?

All I really NEED from the reciever is pre-amp outputs, and all I really NEED in terms of preamp outputs is front channel, or possibly rear channel preamp outs. The pioneer does this, but its not really a terribly future-smart purchase. It has HDMI audio but as I said, nvidia only supports 2 channel audio over HDMI and my motherboard has no HDMI. It has an S/PDIF header but no S/PDIF port, otherwise I woudlnt even bother with the sound card except for the DTS:C and DDL capabilities when I wanted them in the future.

That Pioneer has no such outputs. S/PDIF ports can be added to headers very cheaply (at least coax ones, it's a simple two pin wire rig - you can buy them premade for a few dollars also), but I doubt your board has DDL (it might, I've seen some newer boards include the license (it's all software)).

If you just need 5.1 analog pre-out, the soundcard (or whatever) can drive that all day. You might not be able to go up to 100% output depending on the Vrms output of the card relative to the sensitivity of your amps, but you won't hurt anything as long as you don't run the amp into clipping (you'll hear this, it's very noticeable).

Right now I'm using a borrowed stereo preamp/stereo power amp. The stereo preamp has pre-outs and i'm using them with a pair of Pioneer HPM-60's paired with Audioengine A5's and Dayton Audio Titanic Mk III subwoofer. Overall, it makes for a great 2.1 combination, (arguably 4.1) but the stereo image is rather lacking, especially given my horrible room acoustics.

That is not 4.1. Not even close. And it also explains the poor stereo image - you're running two of the same speaker = all sorts of nasty interference. What are you using for bass management, also?

The dolby headphone capabilities of this sound card will help with gaming immediately, but the 5.1 capabilities are what i'm really looking forward to. And maybe eventually 7.1 once i'm not college broke.

Dolby Headphone (or CMSS-Headphone via Creative) is indeed a nice feature, and I do agree about it's merits with gaming. Same for proper surround out into your speakers.

Here's roughly what I'd suggest:
Run your soundcard's 5.1 analog out (configured to 4.0/4.1 (nobody does a true 4.1 output)) into your pair of stereo amps or powered speakers or whatever, use the soundcard/PC as the volume control, and hook-up the sub on the front L/R with whatever you're using for bass management. If none of that applies to your situation or can apply to your situation (due to some other unknown variable), go with a modern AV receiver into 4+ speakers and feed it stereo PCM via S/PDIF for music (which is already the tops, you get no benefit from going to HDMI for this one), and DDL into 5.1 for surround sound (and then configure the receiver's output map to match your speaker array, and let the receiver do all bass management and channel leveling, and the computer acts as a source, like a DVD player).

If you need more specific info, feel free to ask.

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #28 of 59
Just to elaborate on my setup: I have a stereo 2.1 setup. I have Pioneer HPM60's stereo speakers with Audioengine A5's stacked right on top of them. The pioneers are too big for my current room, and I cannot toe them in at all. The Audioengine's are toed in instead, and help to provide a lot of treble detail and "coldness" to balance out the warmness of the pioneers. The .1 is just referring to the fact that I also have a subwoofer connected.

For bass management, I use the subwoofer's crossover only. The preamp I currently have is set to completely neutral, I have USB output to AMB Gamma 2 F++, which goes to the preamp. The preamp goes 2 different ways: either to a power amp or to the A5's. The power amp goes to the pioneers, which have their crossovers set to neutral. I could probably set the treble on them to a bit less, but I havent bothered with anything like that yet and have left all of that at 0's across the board. The A5's are set to 50% volume, roughly, and are volume matched with the pioneers. There are RCA outputs on the A5's which go to the subwoofer. This way, I can use the A5's and subwoofer at the same time without having to use the pioneers, or I can turn off the A5+subwoofer combo and use just the pioneers by themselves (for more accurate volume control at night).

Really, all I NEED is a center channel, and then I can use the AVR 235 (harman kardon) to get true 5.1 sound. However, I'd like to keep the A5/HPM60 as my front left/right combo, so technically I need rear left/right and center unless I want to downgrade my existing 2.1 system.

According to Nameless's post, PC game audio is stored in multichannel PCM. Thats what I was going off of. Can you elaborate or provide me with the actual codec information for how data is stored for PC games? I've literally JUST built a gaming PC out of spare parts and gotten it updated to the point where I can lower my hood and ominously declare "it is time" and fire up my first real gaming purchases (skyrim, brink, fallout new vegas). After this reciever, I'll be investing in some pretty low end yet good sounding speakers (Dayton B652) and making them act as my rear channels. I still need to research a proper center channel, as I have no idea how im supposed to find a center channel, but if the 235 supports center L/R, i'm basically golden.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:
According to Nameless's post, PC game audio is stored in multichannel PCM. Thats what I was going off of. Can you elaborate or provide me with the actual codec information for how data is stored for PC games?

I'll admit, I simplified that a bit to try and avoid confusing people.

The actual sound files that are part of the game assets may very well be compressed, but when those sound files are fed into the game engine's mixer, the mixer outputs its results as multi-channel PCM regardless of what's fed into it. I can't say I know of any PC games that have the ability to encode Dolby Digital or DTS on-the-fly, without sound card assistance.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #30 of 59
Just to elaborate on my setup: I have a stereo 2.1 setup. I have Pioneer HPM60's stereo speakers with Audioengine A5's stacked right on top of them. The pioneers are too big for my current room, and I cannot toe them in at all. The Audioengine's are toed in instead, and help to provide a lot of treble detail and "coldness" to balance out the warmness of the pioneers. The .1 is just referring to the fact that I also have a subwoofer connected.
For bass management, I use the subwoofer's crossover only. The preamp I currently have is set to completely neutral, I have USB output to AMB Gamma 2 F++, which goes to the preamp. The preamp goes 2 different ways: either to a power amp or to the A5's. The power amp goes to the pioneers, which have their crossovers set to neutral. I could probably set the treble on them to a bit less, but I havent bothered with anything like that yet and have left all of that at 0's across the board. The A5's are set to 50% volume, roughly, and are volume matched with the pioneers. There are RCA outputs on the A5's which go to the subwoofer. This way, I can use the A5's and subwoofer at the same time without having to use the pioneers, or I can turn off the A5+subwoofer combo and use just the pioneers by themselves (for more accurate volume control at night).
Really, all I NEED is a center channel, and then I can use the AVR 235 (harman kardon) to get true 5.1 sound. However, I'd like to keep the A5/HPM60 as my front left/right combo, so technically I need rear left/right and center unless I want to downgrade my existing 2.1 system.
According to Nameless's post, PC game audio is stored in multichannel PCM. Thats what I was going off of. Can you elaborate or provide me with the actual codec information for how data is stored for PC games? I've literally JUST built a gaming PC out of spare parts and gotten it updated to the point where I can lower my hood and ominously declare "it is time" and fire up my first real gaming purchases (skyrim, brink, fallout new vegas). After this reciever, I'll be investing in some pretty low end yet good sounding speakers (Dayton B652) and making them act as my rear channels. I still need to research a proper center channel, as I have no idea how im supposed to find a center channel, but if the 235 supports center L/R, i'm basically golden.

Okay, from the top:

The way you have your stereo speakers set-up is the reason you have bad imaging, you're creating what is known as "comb filtering" and it's very destructive. You should not have things wired up that way unless you just want it loud - one pair or the other. Toe-in may or may not matter when it comes to a given pair of speakers, depends on their radiation.

Sounds like you also lack true bass management and a real crossover, you're just using an LPF on the subwoofer - that isn't the same thing, and it isn't as effective.

An AVR would solve all of this.

A center channel, you ideally want the same speaker as your main L/R but personally I'd dump the entire notion unless your main L/R are spaced fairly far apart. You do not want a horizontal speaker (again, more comb filtering).

PC game audio is NOT stored in multi-channel, it's usually all mono files (for sfx, voiceovers, etc) or stereo (music) and then it's played back as multi-channel when the audio is rendered. A lot of games use compressed files for all of this to save space, because (to use New Vegas as an example) thousands to tens of thousands of lines of dialog as wav is very inconvenient. Ogg, mp3, etc are all very common and in some cases the compression is pretty aggressive (simply to meet size quotas - this is mostly driven by consoles; going to multi-disc releases increases the publishing price substantially). It really can vary from game to game, some games are storing wav files, some aren't. It all depends. But it isn't the same idea as MPCM off of a Blu-ray (which is pre-cut).

The games do not feed a 5.1 signal out, or a 2.1 signal out, or whatever, at least natively. They simply render into the map you provide, and then it's up to the decoder to sort that out. DDL and DTS:C can be generated by an audio codec, and then fed off into a decoder, this will not kneecap the audio quality with games, but it can do some nasty things with music (not just because you're compressing it needlessly, but because those encoders usually apply a matrix as well to satisfy most consumers' lust for "sound from every speaker").

I'll admit, I simplified that a bit to try and avoid confusing people.

The actual sound files that are part of the game assets may very well be compressed, but when those sound files are fed into the game engine's mixer, the mixer outputs its results as multi-channel PCM regardless of what's fed into it. I can't say I know of any PC games that have the ability to encode Dolby Digital or DTS on-the-fly, without sound card assistance.

+1.

It has to come out as a "lossless" bitstream for DtoA at some point - Blu-ray, DVD, etc are the same way. They may ship with AC-3 onboard, but that is unpacked and decompressed before the DtoA can give you audio. Games do the same thing, in simple principle, but they're not starting with a static mixed audio set-up (except for the music (which is always pre-mixed), and cutscenes (depending on how your game handles cutscenes this may or may not be true actually)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back