PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Jun 6, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #496 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what type of computer are you gaming on. all my gamer friends are off of xp and have been 64bit vista or win7. Vista 64 is rock solid.

htpc: macs probably have one of the coolest htpc solutions with boxee. Boxee + mac mini is flipping sweet.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #497 of 637
The mac mini doesn't impress me. I can do better for less.

Boxee sounds interesting but I'm sure that, like every other media software I've tried, it'll lack something important. I'll know when I try it.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #498 of 637
Quote:

Also, I'd still have to do my gaming in Windows since OSX has crap support for games.

Are you sure it's not the other way around?
wink.gif

That the guys designing and releasing computer games (Valve Software and like) have crap support for Mac OS X, since they have all their focus on MS Windows.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #499 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure it's not the other way around?
wink.gif

That the guys designing and releasing computer games (Valve Software and like) have crap support for Mac OS X, since they have all their focus on MS Windows.

I agree krmathis they have no interest in the Mac.

I used to be a big gamer. But I could not keep up with graphic card changes. All the latest games require the latest graphic cards which will be obsolete in a year and 6 months. I could not justify the cost to upgrade to the next generation of graphics cards.

If I can run Photoshop on a computer I am happy. I only need a graphics card that can do that.

Al

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #500 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree krmathis they have no interest in the Mac.

I used to be a big gamer. But I could not keep up with graphic card changes. All the latest games require the latest graphic cards which will be obsolete in a year and 6 months. I could not justify the cost to upgrade to the next generation of graphics cards.

If I can run Photoshop on a computer I am happy. I only need a graphics card that can do that.

Al

this is why ive given up on games, youre paying more in hardware than software

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #501 of 637
Most of my friends that are heavy into games bought the Playstation which they constantly try to get me interested in so far out of the bunch one guy still builds and
plays games on his computer but the cubic dollar he has invested in that thing would
have bought me 2 nice MBP's.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #502 of 637
I only upgrade once like every 4 years. I wait until my PC can't play any new games to upgrade and when I upgrade I spend less than you guys do on the cheapest Mac.

As for consoles, I have all of them except the Xbox. I already have a PC, there's no need for an Xbox.

The only people who spend more on hardware than software are people who either pirate all of their software, people who are insane and have to have the absolute best of the best, people who shouldn't even be calling themselves gamers because they only get like one or two new games a year.

I just wanted to add that since my 486 in 1996, I've overhauled my PC only 4 times. The last time being an exception(I splurged), I spent on average around $600-800 on each overhaul. I easily have spent more than that on games in that time.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #503 of 637
To add to above, PC gaming is nearing its death. Playing games on consoles are much more affordable and have the best content available. Not many publishers are even choosing to release PC versions of their games because they know it's just going to be pirated by 80% of the population playing the game. The last PC game I played was Unreal Tournament 3. Doing an assignment for Data, I came across an article which stated that over 10M people were playing UT3, while only 100K copies of the game were sold.

I have a MacBook Air and iMac, and never have really thought about playing games on them. OS X does everything, but games, flawlessly. I have Snow Leopard installed now on my Air, and it's fast. Even on this measly 1.6 processor, the whole OS just seems so much...lighter.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #504 of 637
You sound like a parrot for the DRM supporters. PC games are no where near dead. Further, it's even easier to pirate a console game than it is a PC game so don't hand me that line of crap that PC games are being pirated to death. Just because you don't have the skill to keep up with a PC game doesn't mean that I have to handicap myself by playing on a console.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #505 of 637
my last bought pc game was CandC3, doubt ill buy any more

the new drm thing has shot me, but its perfect timimg,

1, drm comes out, -1 point for gaming
2, laptop is now struggling with new games -1
3, money is going on other more important things -1
4, no longer seem so interested - 1

btw, i am in no way a mac supporter

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #506 of 637
Quote:

You sound like a parrot for the DRM supporters. PC games are no where near dead. Further, it's even easier to pirate a console game than it is a PC game so don't hand me that line of crap that PC games are being pirated to death. Just because you don't have the skill to keep up with a PC game doesn't mean that I have to handicap myself by playing on a console.

How is it "easier to pirate a console game that it is a PC game"?

To pirate a console game you need to not only have hardware and software knowledge to actually get into your 360 and flash the iXtreme firmware, and then on top of that need to be familiar with torrents to download and then burn the discs. Oh yeah, and that's for the 360. The PS3 can't even be hacked yet.

On a PC all you do is download a game off torrent, apply the crack, and then you're off playing games. It's no where nearly as difficult as on a 360. Plus, many users don't bother pirating 360 games as it could easily get them banned from XBL. The only PC games selling are The Sims, WOW, and COD.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #507 of 637
Funny, I've bought a lot of PC games recently and none of them were the Sims, WoW or COD. Most of them came out this year.

You say the 360 is so difficult to pirate but I know complete noobs who pirate 360 games day and night. Further, some PC games don't get a crack for months or years and a lot of the time cracked PC games have problems running. Meanwhile, pirated 360 games just simply work or don't work, depending on whether your mod can handle the game.

I just thought I should note that the gotta have PS3 games can be counted on one hand because there's just that many that aren't on another console or on PC.

I've said it before in another thread, I already own a PS3 and a Wii and both are collecting dust while I enjoy my PC for games. I never bothered to buy a 360 because the few games I would have bought a 360 for are on PC as well.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #509 of 637
Macs are not for gamers.
Macs are not for hardware junkies.
Mac OSX is not for (heavy) tweakers.

Macs are more expensive than Windows based computers.
Apple has great customer service (But why bother? Unless you don't really know how to use a computer or even care for it)
Both Windows and Mac OSX runs smoothly (if the user knows what he/she's doing)
Both are safe to use (again if the user knows what he/she's doing)

All in all. Why are we debating again? It intrigues me. As a group of individuals who know how computers work, I don't see an advantage of switching to Mac OSX. Aside from being able to use software which is for Mac OSX. I've had friends who'd switch from Windows to Mac OSX simply because they don't know how to take care of computers. Hell, I've been the one recommending them to switch. But I've also got friends who've done vice versa simply because of the limitations of Mac OSX.

All in all, it's all about wants and needs. The day I'd get a Mac is the day I stop gaming and when my uni work does not require me to use Windows.

Gamers shouldn't talk about Mac OSX or Macs.
Mac users shouldn't talk about running Windows programs on Macs.
Such irony in those two lines. *facepalm*

May 21, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #510 of 637
I used to be like this:

Then I become this:

And I never look back too.

There is nothing wrong with Mac. It's just you can do as much as on a PC. I love Apple style tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back