PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Apr 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #406 of 637
I installed Norton once, it BSOD my machine. I managed to repair the OS, when I uninstalled it still left Synmatec files. Someone I know moved from Norton to Avast free and reported far quicker, but of course Norton has left crap so he really needs to do a fresh OS install.

Utter **** piece of software.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #407 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's your problem. Norton was/is one of the worse anti-virus programs, both in security and bloat. It would've taken you a good few minutes at most to find a nice free third-party program.

...and yet I don't have ANY anti-virus program on my Mac, and haven't had a single issue.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #408 of 637
It doesn't negate your ignorance of the matter. People keep attacking Windows for things they could've easily resolved with fairly minimal work, often taking pride in their lack of knowledge. These are computers, not toys. And like it's been mentioned a thousand times before, Mac (OS) is targeted much less due to lower market share. If Macs were top dog, the roles would undoubtedly be reversed. Nature of the beast an all.

On a related note, I won't deny that most of the pre-installed software that comes with pre-built PCs are crap. A fresh copy of Windows doesn't seem to come with anything useful either, but considering the general premiums in costs Macs have, you can spend the difference on good software or just try to find some free apps. Still, Microsoft needs to up their game.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #409 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and yet I don't have ANY anti-virus program on my Mac, and haven't had a single issue.

How do you know you're not infected, if you don't have AV?
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #410 of 637
Quote:

There's your problem. Norton was/is one of the worse anti-virus programs, both in security and bloat. It would've taken you a good few minutes at most to find a nice free third-party program.

Um, not true. The security suite is well-regarded. Bloated, however, heck yes it is.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #411 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I installed Norton once, it BSOD my machine. I managed to repair the OS, when I uninstalled it still left Synmatec files. Someone I know moved from Norton to Avast free and reported far quicker, but of course Norton has left crap so he really needs to do a fresh OS install.

Utter **** piece of software.

Symantec stuff never uninstalls cleanly, this is very true. Major PITA to fix for us corporate types.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #412 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, not true. The security suite is well-regarded. Bloated, however, heck yes it is.

I had the home version a couple years ago, not sure if it's gotten better hence why I said "was/is". Still hear bad things, though I'm not sure how other versions/suites fare.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #414 of 637
Not sure, but if you're not currently having any issues then I'd just stick with it.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #415 of 637
I've used AVG & Avast. AVG used to be good but not so anymore, it's scanned past files I've known are infected. Switched to avast. Also AVG kept on asking for a reboot (system update) Which is annoying.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #416 of 637
Quote:

I had the home version a couple years ago, not sure if it's gotten better hence why I said "was/is". Still hear bad things, though I'm not sure how other versions/suites fare.

The home version is a good product. In these days of rootkit-based malware, the number of "good" a/v suites has dwindled. Norton's works.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #417 of 637
Quote:

It doesn't negate your ignorance of the matter. People keep attacking Windows for things they could've easily resolved with fairly minimal work, often taking pride in their lack of knowledge. These are computers, not toys. And like it's been mentioned a thousand times before, Mac (OS) is targeted much less due to lower market share. If Macs were top dog, the roles would undoubtedly be reversed. Nature of the beast an all.

On a related note, I won't deny that most of the pre-installed software that comes with pre-built PCs are crap. A fresh copy of Windows doesn't seem to come with anything useful either, but considering the general premiums in costs Macs have, you can spend the difference on good software or just try to find some free apps. Still, Microsoft needs to up their game.

Frankly I don't give a crap as to why Mac's do not get infected like PC's do. All I do give a crap about is the fact that they don't.

I've had PC's for more than 20 years, and a Mac for about 7 months. I couldn't be happier with the Mac.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #418 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used AVG & Avast. AVG used to be good but not so anymore, it's scanned past files I've known are infected. Switched to avast. Also AVG kept on asking for a reboot (system update) Which is annoying.

I'm finding that as well, which is too bad. AVG is easy to set up and teach the user to handle.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #419 of 637
Quote:

Frankly I don't give a crap as to why Mac's do not get infected like PC's do. All I do give a crap about is the fact that they don't.

I've had PC's for more than 20 years, and a Mac for about 7 months. I couldn't be happier with the Mac.

Can't play games on Mac's. So I'd still need a PC, so a Apple (expensive) plus a PC would work out far more expensive.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #420 of 637
Quote:

Why the attitude, I'm just being logical. Bad guys tend to prefer bigger targets to maximize gain/damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back