PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Apr 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #436 of 637
To krmathis defense I find his knowledge of the Mac computers and its operating system
to be up there with some of the best he has corrected a lot of myths and misconceptions.
I have found a lot of other people in this forum to be prominent in their field knowledge
is our goal besides the passion for music and all associated equipment.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #437 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you often start/greatly assist said flaming?

Don't think so, or at least I don't hope so!
But I sure try to correct/inform those who comment about Mac's and Mac OS X where it quite easy to pick that they have little or no knowledge what they talk about. They have just read somewhere that...

After having used both platforms for 5-15 years I have picked up some knowledge.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #438 of 637
Quote:

Don't think so, or at least I don't hope so!
But I sure try to correct/inform those who comment about Mac's and Mac OS X where it quite easy to pick that they have little or no knowledge what they talk about. They have just read somewhere that...

After having used both platforms for 5-15 years I have picked up some knowledge.

Yet have no issue when people make ignorant statements about windows, perhaps even doing so yourself? I've seen you fan the flames in these threads.

Quote:

To krmathis defense I find his knowledge of the Mac computers and its operating system
to be up there with some of the best he has corrected a lot of myths and misconceptions.

I don't doubt his knowledge of Macs, but he does seem to be very fanboyish. I don't really care about operating systems, it just irks me when people act this way.

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #439 of 637
I use both Mac and Windows side by side and I have no preference which one is better than another. Both seem to do the job just fine. I never experienced crashed Windows Vista, I believe the drivers are the most important parts if you want to have a stable system.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #440 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use both Mac and Windows side by side and I have no preference which one is better than another. Both seem to do the job just fine. I never experienced crashed Windows Vista, I believe the drivers are the most important parts if you want to have a stable system.

Finally, some sanity. And the bolded part is quite important. When Mac OS X finally supports enough different pieces of hardware that I need more than just fingers to count them, then let's talk stability.

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #442 of 637
Quote:

Finally, some sanity. And the bolded part is quite important. When Mac OS X finally supports enough different pieces of hardware that I need more than just fingers to count them, then let's talk stability.

And that's where I think some people are happy with OS X. The less choices make it easier for some, and I commend Apple for keeping it that way. The day they change that is the day that their system will be no better than Windows imo. I'd rather have less things to play with, if it means they all play nice. But that's just me.

There are all sorts of consumer goods out there in the world that are better when made to order or the customer's needs. But not everyone wants to deal with that, or is just happy with a solution out of the box. I'm personally tired of tweaking my cars, gadgets, etc. It's fun, but in the end I've spent an absurd amount of time and effort to making things the way I think they should, when I would have been plenty satisfied with a simpler option(Example, the big guys here who end up downgrading because they just want to enjoy their music, not nitpick at the hardware that plays it). Look at some luxury cars, the popularity of home theater in a box systems, all these multipurpose devices, etc. They're usually not up to par with something you can put together yourself, but the average consumer isn't going to deal with all that.

That's reserved for the enthusiast, and I think that's where some of the frustration comes from. As an enthusiast you know said product can be capable of much more, maybe with less costs, and it bothers you that other people don't follow those routes.

SIDE NOTE: But in Apple's competition's defense, I do find it ridiculous that some things that are standard on the competition are made upgrades and features on Apple stuff. The fact that I need to jailbreak my iPhone and use solutions outside of Apple to make it worthwhile is a joke. The fact that Lenovo can ship out some of the most cutting edge features and options(I'd even say Dell at times) is sad. I understand Apple's thing for that zen like simplicity, but there are many features they lack that are keeping them from being more and more in the workplace outside of art.

And a lot of Apple user's are SUPER ignorant with their tech. I'm appalled at the things some OS X or iPhone users ask or do. Especially when I stop by the Apple store. Don't get me wrong there are folks out there who know their stuff and just prefer what Apple has(like the guys defending Apple in this thread), but really, most of Apple's user base has probably not maximized even half of their product's capabilities, or even how to really use them.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #444 of 637
Just go to Linux
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #445 of 637
When my high school converted the macs in the video journalism room to windows it was like going from a horse to a car! Now I do admit that we were using G4s but the number of software problems and other issues dropped to a virtual 0. With the macs it was always something that was in the way of us doing our work and constantly caused people to stay after school for hours redoing all there work or not being able to do what they wanted.

When we switched to windows we had no more blown firewire ports, admin problems created by overly zealous security, cross platform compatibility, less projects randomly getting deleted, file corruption, file system errors, slow load times, slow processing times, and instability on large projects (largely due to lack of ram).

Now I know that some of the problems were hardware related however for a school that is trying to get the best bang for buck the prices for upgrading parts on mac vs pc in the long run was simply unsustainable.

This has been my personal experience with mac.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #446 of 637
^ Its not fair comparing a 3+ year old G4 Mac vs. a new Intel machine. Hardware development have come a long way in those years...

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #448 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Its not fair comparing a 3+ year old G4 Mac vs. a new Intel machine. Hardware development have come a long way in those years...

The point is that they had 3+ year old machines because you can't upgrade Macs, while you can upgrade PCs to get a lot more life out of them.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #450 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
G4s are a lot more than 3 years old.

Not much!
Apple used the G4 processor at least up to January 2006, when the PowerBook G4 was replaced by the MacBook Pro. So it all depends which computer they are talking about...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The point is that they had 3+ year old machines because you can't upgrade Macs, while you can upgrade PCs to get a lot more life out of them.

Never seen a larger institution (like school) upgrading computers, beside probably adding more RAM. They usually run them for 3 years, then replace with brand new ones. Regardless if they use PC or Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back