PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #391 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is not on anything legit and any program that you add needs permission
so if you install a no legit or dubious third party and give it permission then
you will probably as any system suffer the consequences.

Like on a PC, just you wouldn't have your A/V scanner pick it up and warn you.

Pirated software has risks, Mac or PC, thats the bottom line.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #392 of 637
Yes, it's not a security flaw for the mac that people install malicious software. That's social engineering, and doesn't depend on security features of the mac at all.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #394 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet if you did a pole of all the Mac users on this forum no one has suffered from an attack.

...raises hand.

Never had a virus. I would constantly get viruses on my PC, despite having Norton. What a joke.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #395 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Never had a virus. I would constantly get viruses on my PC, despite having Norton. What a joke.

Well, which is it?
confused.gif

Constantly? Just where were you getting your software? Hmmm?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #396 of 637
Quote:

...raises hand.

I also got hit a couple of years ago using Norton on the Dell but resolved it
by that afternoon that being said its sad that people have nothing better to
do in life than to create havoc and mayhem for others. But never on the Mac.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #398 of 637
Apr 17, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #399 of 637
Quote:

...raises hand.

I've never had a virus on my Windows-based machine either. *high five*

biggrin.gif

But seriously. Who uses Norton nowadays. It's one of the worst pay-to-use antiviruses out there (based on my experience).

But seriously, MAC OSX users. Either it's security or compatibility. Those are the only two things you have to say to justify why MAC OSX is better? I'm not hating on Apple, I just don't see how just those two points justify MAC OSX being better than Windows (or even Linux). Even MAC OSX had some compatibility issues (Google for graphics issue for MBP 17-inch).

Even Windows-based machines would work without security issues/risks and compatibility issues if the users install and patch the right thing, much like how Apple prompts you to update MAC OSX for similar issues.

Easy to use, this isn't even an argument. It's just a matter of the individual getting used to an OS.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #400 of 637
That was an interesting read there was a lot of security issues addressed in the last update and I will not speculate at this point if they left one open with high vulnerability.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #401 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're probably right; people who don't understand the difference between hardware and software shouldn't be debating security, however.

LOL, I was indeed talking hardware, if you look at the fields that apple actually markets too (not your gamer or everyday dross office worker) they have a massive majority. schools, graphics, audio, scientific modelling. I do know the difference, but you didnt say OSX, you said apple.

man and people say mac users are self righteous
rolleyes.gif
the point being that I have been using computers of both types for 25 years and I have never had a virus on my macs, but plenty have been found on the PCs, I dont always download the updates straight away either, so thats not the point, although I do realize there must be some out there, i've just never been exposed to one thats been able to do anything. I used to go to some pretty seriously dangerous places downloading wares etc too.
I own everything I use regularly, but some of the big softs that dont provide demos are just asking for it IMO I like to see if something works for me before shelling thousands on it.

it says a lot about windows the fact that there are still many people who still have not 'updated' to vista... 2 years later.

but I guess you would be an expert with the amount of problems PC users have to deal with on a day to day basis. Must be good practice.

linux is great too; for me its not so much a hardware thing; although its definately a good part of it. and the fact that people still go on about this stuff when you can actually run windows natively on a mac now anyway is funny.

why is it that even though you guys have such a massive majority (in OS) that you still bother to go to a thread such as this and argue about it. I would think if that was me I would just have a sense of quiet satisfaction; but nooo, somehow people still feel the need to defend windows.

I wondoer why that is
confused.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #402 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're probably right; people who don't understand the difference between hardware and software shouldn't be debating security, however.

LOL, I was indeed talking hardware, if you look at the fields that apple actually markets too (not your gamer or everyday dross office worker) they have a massive majority. schools, graphics, audio, scientific modelling. I do know the difference, but you didnt say OSX, you said apple.

man and people say mac users are self righteous
rolleyes.gif
the point being that I have been using computers of both types for 25 years and I have never had a virus on my macs, but plenty have been found on the PCs, I dont always download the updates straight away either, so thats not the point, although I do realize there must be some out there, i've just never been exposed to one thats been able to do anything. I used to go to some pretty seriously dangerous places downloading wares etc too.
I own everything I use regularly, but some of the big softs that dont provide demos are just asking for it IMO I like to see if something works for me before shelling thousands on it.

it says a lot about windows the fact that there are still many people who still have not 'updated' to vista... 2 years later.

but I guess you would be an expert with the amount of problems PC users have to deal with on a day to day basis. Must be good practice.

linux is great too; for me its not so much a hardware thing; its a combination of the two; the OS and hardware just seem to like each other in general on the Macs i've owned; although its (the hardware) definately a good part of it. and the fact that people still go on about this stuff when you can actually run windows natively on a mac now anyway is funny.

why is it that even though you guys have such a massive majority (in OS) that you still bother to go to a thread such as this and argue about it. I would think if that was me I would just have a sense of quiet satisfaction; but nooo, somehow people still feel the need to defend windows.

I wondoer why that is
confused.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #404 of 637
Good thing I have insomnia anyway there is nothing in the wild that I could find that would exploit the Mac that is not saying it does not have holes all systems do and thats
not saying it can not get in the key word was exploit the system without permission if
you can find it ,it should have a name post it. Now I did not say it could not happen its
just so far in the wild it has not and the virus fear merchants try harder year after year.
As a matter of fact if you search there is not anything current article wise with a name.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #405 of 637
Quote:

I would constantly get viruses on my PC, despite having Norton. What a joke.

There's your problem. Norton was/is one of the worse anti-virus programs, both in security and bloat. It would've taken you a good few minutes at most to find a nice free third-party program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back