PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Apr 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #376 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to admit it, but he's right. They had that on Giz too.

What bothers me about that, is since it's so easy, why doesn't someone just do it just to mess with Apple and shut up us elitist Mac owners?

I understand no one is gonna waste the effort if there's nothing in it for them, but with how easy some respectable guys in the trade have made it seem, someone should be able to do it in their sleep. Why not do it?

Again, I'm not questioning the FACT. I'm questioning why no one does anything about it.

All the important/interesting stuff is on PC's?
biggrin.gif

Does it really matter.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #377 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was major news on the net. Did you even read the articles I sent? If you truly think your Mac is secure, you're living in a fantasy world. Macs have roughly as many holes as a hunk of swiss cheese, they just don't have enough market share to warrant large-scale attacks. They don't represent a large enough chunk of the computer market to develop attacks for; if you're going to write a virus to spread, it has to have a decent chance of finding another similar machine to spread; currently, only Windows provides that kind of ecosystem due to its ubiquity.Did you even read my articles? For reference, here's a direct quote from the guy who cracked Safari:

i'm sorry, but if you look at it on a brand by brand basis; Apple has the largest market share of all. i'm sure there is holes, but you generally have to do something to allow it, like having cookies activated or something and then navigating to a site. if it were so easy; someone would have done it just to show they can. there doesnt have to be anything in it for a hacker to do it.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #378 of 637
*HP business notebook, aluminium iMac and aluminium Macbook owner here*

OSX is not completely secure. Lets not be naive here. Exploits are routinely found and patched. There is no excuse for being blase with internet security. I use online banking and spend far too much money shopping. OSX has a built-in firewall - investigate its options peeps

For those who wonder why hackers do not target OSX: because the 90% market share of Windows means that they can monetise and profit. Not even talking about key-loggers and malware here, I recall a BBC article highlighting that something like just 3% of spam emails are answered but it is more than enough to cover overheads

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #380 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm sorry, but if you look at it on a brand by brand basis; Apple has the largest market share of all.

....what?

There are 2* Brands:

Microsoft ~90%
Apple ~8%
Everyone else ~2%
Quote:

i'm sure there is holes, but you generally have to do something to allow it, like having cookies activated or something and then navigating to a site. if it were so easy; someone would have done it just to show they can. there doesnt have to be anything in it for a hacker to do it.

My links were people doing it just to show they can.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #381 of 637
Quote:

....what?

There are 2* Brands:

Microsoft ~90%
Apple ~8%
Everyone else ~2%
My links were people doing it just to show they can.

I bet he talked about computer hardware.
Apple vs. Dell, IBM, Compaq, ASUS, Hewlett Packard, ...

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #383 of 637
It could be argued that people that don't know the difference between in the wild exploits and demonstrations done in controlled environments shouldn't be, either.

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #386 of 637
At my business school I've seen more PC lappys than Macs, but owners on both sides seem to just use them for casual entertainment and word processing. The "heaviest" I've caught anyone doing was playing World of Warcraft. The students get macs cause of the looks/status/advertising and the PCs because they're cheap. (I see a lot of older model dell/HP/Compaqs)

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #388 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize that was a pirated version most Mac users or at least the ones
I know buy legit.

But I thought there was no Malware for Macs? That's why I don't need an Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware on mine.....?

Not to mention I don't know a single person who bought their Mac - several got them through work, several got them from mommy and daddy, but none of them were able to afford their own, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see people I know pirating Mac software.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #389 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet he talked about computer hardware.
Apple vs. Dell, IBM, Compaq, ASUS, Hewlett Packard, ...

Market Share 1Q 2009

Apple's US Market Share Slips in 1Q 2009

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #390 of 637
Quote:

But I thought there was no Malware for Macs? That's why I don't need an Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware on mine.....?

Not to mention I don't know a single person who bought their Mac - several got them through work, several got them from mommy and daddy, but none of them were able to afford their own, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see people I know pirating Mac software.

There is not on anything legit and any program that you add needs permission
so if you install a no legit or dubious third party and give it permission then
you will probably as any system suffer the consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back