PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Apr 5, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #331 of 637
For the price argument.

I bought my MBP after the unibodies were introduced for 1600+Tax.

It was only a bit more than a comparable thinkpad. 200 or so

I wanted a _6_0 or higher graphics card, the dell and hp were kind of expensive for that level of graphics or underpowered by comparison

Thinkpads have ATi Chips... ATi+Linux isn't the worlds most fun experience but I did not want to deal with windows and running security software on it.

On my mac I have bootcamp which I have nothing but windows firewall for.

This laptop should run OSX fine for many years to come and windows for a few years. It isn't durable like a Thinkpad, but I have a nice well padded case for it that suffices.

On the material front, I agree it dents rather easily but I like the feel of the aluminum and its ability to dissipate heat through the metal to cool it off. On the unibody front, ive heard the unibody part is more durable, but the thin bottom plates are where you will dent the unibody if you do dent it, so it isnt superbly protected if you drop it since the bottom plates are almost flat in contrast to the classic which makes them hold up less. I have also heard that they have had more DOA's and 3-5" drop deaths with the unibodies because the power connection isnt strong enough... but every rev a product seems to have some sort of issue.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #332 of 637
Quote:

after a little research I realized that you basically pay $1000+ just for the Mac OS.

That's pretty much it. We're mostly paying for OS X, and imo resale value. I came from the state of the art x300, and downgraded to a macbook. No SSD, lower resolution, heavier, thicker, no fingerprint recognition, not spill proof, case isn't designed to absorb shock from falls, etc. The only thing my MacBook has going for it is really OS X.

The X300 has probably dropped about 50-60% in resale value since it first released. Older USED core duo, and early core 2 duo macbooks that sold around $1000, still go for maybe $700+ in good condition. It's nice to know when you want to upgrade, you don't have to fully shell out for a new model.

I personally don't regret going back to OS X. I've grown tired of tweaking and modifying Windows to my needs, even though I was capable of much more for much less. I'm just happy to have something I feel is stable and I don't have to so much as babysit as I can just use. But ymmv, so like I said earlier, get what works for you and your budget, and let us all do the same. Cheers.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #334 of 637
A Dell configured as close as you can to a MBP is still cheaper but no optical in/out
and the trackpad on the MBP is like none anywhere not to mention I-Life and Garage Band
while some will argue this is not necessary maybe to them but this forum being centered
around Hi-Fi and headphones with music being a priority the Mac seems to do it better
IMO.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #335 of 637
Dell have no resale value and no optical out. I have a dell 490 with 2 quad core xeon chips etc. It serves its purpose i.e. CAD but since the Intel macs I use it less and less! Macs have much more going for them unless you care nothing for aesthetics user friendliness and design applications. wysiwyg!

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #336 of 637
I switched from PC to Mac a few years ago and have never looked back. That said, I'm not a gamer, I have no use for gaming software, specialized software, etc. I pretty much just use the Internet, do some basic word processing, and some photo work. I use iTunes as my default music server and run it in lossless.

I'm no Apple fanboy, but on the other hand, I consider most Windows operating systems to date to have been inherently defective. I would not buy a first iteration by Apple, and with Windows I'd want to wait until the second revision at a minimum.

I mainly use my computer to surf the Internet and for that reason, I doubt I'll ever go back to Windows (unless the day comes when Apples are susceptible to as many viruses, spyware, trojans, and so on as Windows products).

I also will not pay full retail for an Apple, be it an iPod or a computer. I buy their refurbs. Even at 20-30 percent off retail, they are not screamin' bargains.

The recent "I'm a PC" Windows ads are an exercise in hilarity. They all omit the benefits of not running a PC, in favor of specs. If I had bought my hifi system based on specs, I'd have deserved whatever I wound up with.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #337 of 637
Quote:

I mainly use my computer to surf the Internet and for that reason, I doubt I'll ever go back to Windows (unless the day comes when Apples are susceptible to as many viruses, spyware, trojans, and so on as Windows products)

There are free third-party anti-virus/spyware programs that, if kept up-to-date, will protect you from almost any infection. I'm *constantly* downloading things off shady P2P, and I'll get a virus maybe once in a blue moon. (Which my anti-virus always promptly catches)

PSA for anyone who uses Windows:

Learn how to use the OS! It may not be as friendly out of the box, but with a little tweaking, you can generally have a bug-free ride for days to come. There are often really good third-party programs for pretty much any task, so do some research. Hell, ask the members here, they're very helpful! And for those who plan on buying a new Windows rig, learn to build your own. The crap software most pre-builts from Dell/HP/etc. include tend to slow the OS down and screw with other software.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #338 of 637
If you browse dodgy sites and get viruses and trojans that's your own fault. With AV in Windows I don't get infected. Unless I run a dodgy EXE, but that's my own fault if I do.

None of the Apple computers interest me. I want a machine I can upgrade, keeping bits. For example why buy a new case, power supply, drive if the ones you have a still suitable? Mac Mini only suitable for a HTPC not main system. Mac Pro too expensive.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #339 of 637
It's a choice between having $100 in parts to salvage when you've used a computer for 2 years, or being able to sell the whole thing for 50-75% of what you paid for it.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #340 of 637
I don't change my computer every 2 years. I'm not sure how old my 939 4400 X2 is, but it's going to be a while till I upgrade it. I doubt a 5 year old Mac can reach 50-75% value.

Parts will be worth more than $100. Quality PSU, case. More like $350 US. Bigger than Mac Pro desktop and similar in quality.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #341 of 637
You'll need a new power supply in 5 years. Your case and associated bits will be worth significantly less than the mac would be.

A 7 year old dual g4 800mhz quicksilver tower still sells for over $200. A dual 1ghz from 2002 sold recently on ebay for $365. Macs really do hold their value. I tend to sell my macs every 3-4 years, and get a significant percentage of my purchase price back. I also only ever buy refurbished systems.

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #342 of 637
I can't believe I read that. I don't know if i could ever switch to mac.. :p would be tough for me.

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #344 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally have never met anyone and I mean anyone that has made the switch to a
Mac and went back outside of gamers and they generally kept both.

Same here.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #345 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here.

Well now you do. I used one full-time for a month and simply hated it. I've gone back to Windows and don't regret it at all. It simply works and has a much better hardware and software base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back