PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jun 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,011 of 9,120
Quote:

I think my avatar makes it clear how I feel about the xbone and PS4 discussion in the PC-fi thread. 
cool.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2,014 of 9,120
Some 1440p screenies from my ongoing, second play through of Skyrim. Much better this go round since upgrading to SLI 670's and a 1440p monitor ... some of the environments are so killer I spend hours just walking around looking at stuff ... :wink: ...

These are with a gazillion mods and an ENB that I dig. The first time I played through was with a single GTX 580 @ 1080p and with very few mods and no ENB ... totally different game now. Also this is the first time playing with a "follower" .. this bad ass Drow bitch named Vierna (she's available as a mod on Nexus) ... chick's a total tank and handles most of the grunt combat since I'm playing a pure mage character: 

beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #2,017 of 9,120
Quote:
Hmm... I got an unopened i7 3960x laying around here somewhere... Now the question is: Water cooled 2-way SLI Titans or 3-way SLI GTX 780... Life's a bitch ^^

3 x 780's

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,020 of 9,120
Quote:
Wait for the 6GB versions or the Titan 2. 

There won't be an 6GB version. It will make a too small gap between the 780 and the Titan, therefore, Nvidia have decided to not release the 780 with any higher then 3GB. And as far as the "Titan 2" is concerned, It wont happen until next year. Nvidia are done for this year, with the exception of 790 (which is probably not going to be released, due to the approach on the Titan instead.)

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,021 of 9,120
My latest expense that my wallet hates me for? It's a custom water-cooling loop, for which I got the final component I needed today: the CPU waterblock. (XSPC Raystorm full-copper, to be specific.)

Before, I had an old Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer plopped onto my Q6600. IntelBurnTest shot it up to 65 degrees Celsius, give or take a few, at my current 3.0 GHz overclock. (Going further would require more voltage and thus even more cooling capacity.)

I set up the loop, ran it again without changing the overclock at all, and...

...49 degrees. JUST. 49. DEGREES.

3.6 GHz might actually be possible on this Q6600 now, and I can only wait to see what the same loop will do with the likes of Ivy Bridge or Haswell. (In fact, the cooling loop is really a purchase intended for my next build, but one that benefits my current one in the meantime.)

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2,022 of 9,120
Quote:
My latest expense that my wallet hates me for? It's a custom water-cooling loop, for which I got the final component I needed today: the CPU waterblock. (XSPC Raystorm full-copper, to be specific.)

Before, I had an old Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer plopped onto my Q6600. IntelBurnTest shot it up to 65 degrees Celsius, give or take a few, at my current 3.0 GHz overclock. (Going further would require more voltage and thus even more cooling capacity.)

I set up the loop, ran it again without changing the overclock at all, and...

...49 degrees. JUST. 49. DEGREES.

3.6 GHz might actually be possible on this Q6600 now, and I can only wait to see what the same loop will do with the likes of Ivy Bridge or Haswell. (In fact, the cooling loop is really a purchase intended for my next build, but one that benefits my current one in the meantime.)

Nice!

I ran my Q6700 at 3.8ghz daily for nearly two years. Killer fun chip. I used a TRUE 120 for the life of the system (I eventually parted/sold it).

Take some pics of your loop.

I've been obsessing a bit on building my first custom loop (never done one before) but keep dragging my feet for money reasons and fear of the unknown. My current 2700K is doing fine at 5.0ghz with a heavily modified H100 install (pressure mount, holes cut in case, lapped water block and CPU, etc.) and my two GTX 670's are running cool too since I'm using Antec 620's to cool them ... but having three CLC's in my case is just bugging me and I figure with a couple of good radiators and a decent D5 pump, then I should be able to do the whole system with comparable numbers to what I'm getting now.

What all parts did you use? Was it your first time doing a custom loop? 

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,023 of 9,120
My loop's pretty ugly right now...turns out 4 feet of tubing wasn't quite enough, so I've got the res and pump kinda dangling out the side. I'll have to order some more tubing and at least make it look somewhat presentable before I snap some pics for you.

The components, save for tubing, clamps, the kill coil, and a couple of barbs were all used; I went deal-hunting on eBay.

*bundle for $90 shipped*
-Swiftech MCP655-B (Your typical Laing D5 variant; this one's apparently set slower than most D5s with no speed adjustment, but it'll suffice for now. Throwing in my GTX 280s with EVGA Hydro Copper 16 waterblocks may prove to be too restrictive for just that one pump, but it's a moot point right now given that my current motherboard doesn't acknowledge either of them.)
-Swiftech 3x120mm radiator (At least, the seller said it was Swiftech, but I have no idea because there's no branding on the rad itself, and the inlet/outlet port section doesn't match up with their current rads.)
-Danger Den single 5.25" bay acrylic reservoir (I might replace this with one of these, if my wallet can take it.)
-1/2" ID barbs on everything
-a bottle of Feser Ultra Pure distilled water and a small funnel

*$61 shipped*
-XSPC Raystorm full-copper variant, as mentioned earlier (Emphasis on full-copper, as that's what really made this a good deal; that variant normally costs twice as much as the acetal-topped ones, and I got it for the same price as a brand-new acetal Raystorm, LGA775 backplate included. Some reviewers tend to favor the acetal-topped version, but I think price-to-performance ratio has a lot to do with that.)

*$45 shipped, and the only brand new things in the loop*
-4 feet of Tygon Norprene 1/2" ID/3/4" OD tubing
-12 hose clamps (the cheap worm-gear variety)
-two XSPC 1/2" ID barbs (I knew the Raystorm block wasn't going to include any, so I knew I needed fittings, and I didn't want to take the barbs from one of the unused GTX 280 waterblocks.)
-a silver kill coil

*leftovers*
-three Scythe S-Flex SFF21F 120mm fans (Not sure if these have the static pressure ideal for rad use, but some airflow over that radiator is better than none.)

So yeah, almost $200 spent already, and I've already cheaped out in a lot of ways (no QD compression fittings, for starters), otherwise I could have easily spent $400 for mostly the same parts bought brand new. Regardless, I can already tell I'm going to be pouring even more money into the loop...and all this just to ensure that I'd be able to use those GTX 280s I scored for the mere price of shipping (around $25 or so, given the bulk of their retail boxes and the heft of those Hydro Copper 16 blocks).

My case-an old Aplus/ABS Tagan Black Pearl, some sort of Lian-Li PC-V2000 offshoot-is also going to need some modification if I don't want my rad lying on top of it. There's a lower compartment that holds the PSU, and normally a couple of 3.5" drive racks, but if I remove some rests for the drive racks and the PSU down there, it turns out that it can indeed fit a 4x120mm rad down there, Silverstone TJ07-style. Problem is, said rests are riveted in place, not screwed in, so I have to find a way to remove the rivets without messing up that nice anodized aluminum finish.

Here's a modified version of the same case that's given me ideas. Unfortunately, that mesh window for the lower compartment you see there isn't stock either, so I'll have to cut holes in both of the side panels if I'm going to use said lower compartment as the intended radiator area. Still, if I could bring myself to cut holes in this case...it has a lot of promise for something that only cost me $100 shipped during a sale years ago.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2,024 of 9,120
Quote:
My loop's pretty ugly right now...turns out 4 feet of tubing wasn't quite enough, so I've got the res and pump kinda dangling out the side. I'll have to order some more tubing and at least make it look somewhat presentable before I snap some pics for you.

The components, save for tubing, clamps, the kill coil, and a couple of barbs were all used; I went deal-hunting on eBay.

Yeah, prettifying my loop cost me an extra £30 in angle fittings. Worth it though. WC ain't cheap, but once you get the basic kit together, it'll last you years. I think my loop cost me around £400 all in. I'm looking to change case to add another 240 rad or mod in space for a 3 x 180 rad in the future.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #2,025 of 9,120
Just rearranged my loop a bit, and now everything's at least in the case...well, except the radiator, due to aforementioned issues. (But I do plan on modding this case in the future so I can turn that lower compartment into water-cooling central, and look nice doing it.)

Indeed, realizing that water-cooling loops actually last for quite a long time once the initial investment's made helped to push me over the edge. All you really need to change with most computer upgrades are the blocks, and that's it. Said blocks are often cheaper than a top-of-the-line HSF (Noctua NH-D14 or anything else around that level of performance).

Speaking of HSFs, it's great to not have this gigantic tower of a heatsink blocking off the area around the CPU socket now. Makes it easier to work on things in there, if necessary.

As for those hopes of getting that Q6600 to run at 3.6 GHz? Well, it just might be possible...but it'll be quite toasty doing so. Had to go in and set the CPU voltage to around 1.45V, while HWMonitor suggests it's closer to 1.41V in operation. This is with load line calibration on, so that must be a significant amount of voltage droop. I don't know how people claimed to get their Q6600s to that speed on air, because if you care in the slightest about stability (which means lots and lots of extra voltage), it isn't happening without a good custom loop at minimum...or I really got the short end of the stick with this particular CPU, much as Haswell buyers are right now if the reports are to be believed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back