PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Dec 24, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #8,566 of 9,120
It's pretty crazy how low the price of RAM is now.

I have 16 gb of RAM, and never end up using more than 50% for a reason or another, and I have disabled page file.

I cannot wait for cheaper, better GPUs. 

B-But, I need it. (Not kidding)

I am curious if you love or hate Utsu - p 
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #8,570 of 9,120

Anyone notice how cheap RAM has gotten? I bought my 8GB set (DDR3, obviously) about half a year ago for around $75. Now you can get a 16GB set for the same price. 

Is it? I remember it being this price earlier this year then I saw the price hike during the summer.

It was slightly lower than last time IIRC so still an improvement.

All of the DDR4 sticks are ugly AF though. All of them are too flashy. Need some nice, simple standard/low profile ones.

I have 16 gb of RAM, and never end up using more than 50% for a reason or another, and I have disabled page file.

I cannot wait for cheaper, better GPUs. 

RAMDisk?

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #8,571 of 9,120
  Bought a Logitech G13, rather interesting device... I'm enjoying it. The learning curve is hitting my performance, since I don't know the layout of my keys as well as my good old keyboard, but I'm getting there. CS:GO weeps at my fumbling while buying.

I've been gaming with G13 for over 5 years - love it! (I replace mine every 2 years or so when they're on sale @ Amazon).

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #8,572 of 9,120
  I need some help!

I just reinstalled my windows for the tenth time, and my chrome pages redirect to some ad-something regardless of what I access. 

Seems that I am completely unable to trace it back to anything. I mean, I actually tried installing the windows, and nothing else, but it still happens, what can be done? What can I do in this situation?

I'm almost convinced you d/loaded a 'partner' version by accident. Happened to me on a new build earlier this year. I was in a hurry to get a new Win 10 build going and just clicked on the first link from Google. Major mistake - similar results to yours. That stuff is almost impossible to eradicate.

I ended up wiping the partition and re-installing.

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #8,573 of 9,120
  Is it? I remember it being this price earlier this year then I saw the price hike during the summer.

It was slightly lower than last time IIRC so still an improvement.

All of the DDR4 sticks are ugly AF though. All of them are too flashy. Need some nice, simple standard/low profile ones.
RAMDisk?

RAM?

I have two 8gb sticks of RAM. 
  I'm almost convinced you d/loaded a 'partner' version by accident. Happened to me on a new build earlier this year. I was in a hurry to get a new Win 10 build going and just clicked on the first link from Google. Major mistake - similar results to yours. That stuff is almost impossible to eradicate.

I ended up wiping the partition and re-installing.

I also clicked first link on Google. 

well, the virus or something was there, and it was first on my smartphone, I always thought that opening a new page with a receipe site was due to Plants vs zombies or another game I had installed. 

It seems that this thing over-writes itself to wifi router, because now everyone who connects to this router has this, though I tested this with someone who does not have even one piece of software installed same as mine. 

Odd enough, it seems that this did not happen for the last 2 days, maybe they gave us a Christmas pause?

Another ODD thing, the site is in japanese-chinese, and does nothing else but show a receipe site. I am unable to see the point of such a virus on an ENG computer in Romania 
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #8,575 of 9,120

RAMDisk?

I'm not sure I agree, because the G-Skill Trident Z line is pretty subtle, plus metallic heatsinks look awesome.

High profile RAM. Need LP since SFF.

Not like RAM heatsinks actually do anything either. Especially now that they run at even lower voltages, they will basically never get hot enough so that you need to bother with cooling them.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #8,576 of 9,120

Not like RAM heatsinks actually do anything either. Especially now that they run at even lower voltages, they will basically never get hot enough so that you need to bother with cooling them.

I never was able to heat a RAM enough to need cooling on it!

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #8,577 of 9,120
My Corsair Vengeance RAM is quite discrete... Sure, not TOTL but wasn't going to pay out crazy money for an extra few mhz...

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #8,578 of 9,120

I never was able to heat a RAM enough to need cooling on it!

I think the last time it was ever an issue was during the introduction of DDR2. Wasn't exactly around for that so I can't speak for experience.

The closest scenarios I've seen for DDR3 was when the Samsung "Magic RAM" was still available. People were pushing some insane voltages on that...

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #8,579 of 9,120

Do you have a source of any kind that provides a measurement of the RAM clearance of your case/cooler?

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #8,580 of 9,120

Do you have a source of any kind that provides a measurement of the RAM clearance of your case/cooler?

Your case will never be an issue, but usually the specs of the cooler or the reviews of it will tell you the RAM clearance. It also depends on the motherboard, as some motherboards are much more compact than others, though this is becoming less of an issue as it is much more standardized and long traces are bad anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back