PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Dec 13, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #8,536 of 9,120

1. Alien: Isolation is a lot of fun ... the production is top notch and the spook factor is through the roof. It's an acquired taste, though as the entire game revolves around evading and avoiding the Alien, which is impossible to kill. 100% survival game. It was my first of such but it really sucked me in. If you have high end GPUS and are playing at 1440p or more, and have a good surround sound setup ... then it's an experience that's hard to equal.

2. Shadow Warrior (the new remake): probably the most fun, pure 1st person "shoot/hack 'em up" I've played in the past few years. Absolutely a RIOT ... it's pseudo samauri based and you use a Katana as much as a host of other guns ... can't recommend it highly enough as a brilliant way to blow off steam. There is a semblance of a story as well and the dialogue between yourself and your demon companion is hilarious as all get out:

3. Dragon Age: Inquisition: really fun ... not the pure RPG style of Dragon Age: Origins but more so a mix of classic RPG and more "hack and slash" type stuff. Great voice acting and top notch production across the board. Super fun...

Cheers!

Thanks!

I will gladly look into shadow warrior, as I already played Alien, and it was pretty good, but the story did not really touch me as much as I expected. 

Draon age : inquisition, I had not tried yet, because I did not like the original dragon age, but might as well try this new one, it might be better:).

Thanks for taking the time to add videos, it helps a lot!

Loving the Mad Max game, and just bought the Witcher 3. If you haven't played the portal series, it's fun, and saints row 3/GTA V were nice. Alan wake is something I've been working on too.

Ok, so witcher and mad max. I already finished saints row, played enough gta V. Alan wake is a title I had not considered yet, but I will add it to my list 
biggrin.gif

Unless you take into account rhythm games where getting perfect scores requires ludicrously perfect timing on each and every note, anyway. Wanna get a Marvelous Full Clear on a DDR track? I hope you can hit every arrow ON THE FRAME, 16ms TIMING!

There's a reason later releases of such games have calibration modes to try and offset any input lag on the display.

With that said, people can adapt to playing those and even fighting games (which might as well be rhythm games in disguise with those pesky one-frame links on combos) on 32-40ms input lag HDTVs, though any more than that and things start feeling REALLY sluggish.

Now here's one I haven't heard of... the UHD display sounds real nice, but does it have G-SYNC like the FHD one I keep seeing? Now that would be REALLY sweet.

Too bad they didn't have the balls to put a Cherry MX board in there like the MSI GT80 Titan. Now that's a laptop keyboard that would put ThinkPad owners to shame...

And even the better LCDs for our purposes are plagued with dust, backlight bleed, lack of A-TW polarizers, etc. for our $800. Disgusting.

I'm hoping the rise of OLED will put an end to this. LCDs are an inherently flawed display technology anyway, filtering colored pixels out of a backlight rather than having emissive pixels.

It may be a year old by now, but I've been blasting my way through Wolfenstein: The New Order recently. It's proving much better than expected, like someone actually made a modern FPS that remembers its roots for once.

It also looks like Elite: Dangerous - Horizons is about to drop in a few days, but I don't know if sandboxy space sims are your thing.

Wait, let me get this straight: Haswell-E at 4.4 GHz. Prime95. Not throttling even on an AIO liquid cooler.

Something tells me that's not Prime95 28.x with the latest AVX/FMA3 instructions, or maybe the fact that the IHS is soldered on the HEDT chips actually counts for something. Couldn't even use it to stress anymore once I started ramping my 4770K to 4.6 GHz just because of the sheer heat load, and that's on custom water-cooling!

That UHD display is not G-sync powered, so no luck there, but it should be up to the levels of those dreamcolor displays, so I would actually take that any day instead of Gsync, even though I would really love to have both features. 

My actual laptop has the FHD display without G-sync, I mean the exact display, and it is extremely good, I just want even wider color range reproduction, mostly for Anime. I do some professional photo editing and create internet sites, but basically they are almost always viewed on business laptops / computers, so designing them with perfect color in mind is not exactly my top priority as most people do not see the exact shades of colors I use anyways. 

Also, after getting from a poor cheap LCD to my actual laptop, I can say that having wide gamut (93% sRGB) helps a lot with games too. It really makes the experience more intense, and more vivid. 

And as for keyboards, I actually use an external low profile flat keyboard with my laptop, I found that mechanical keyboards are not my thing. Having flat keys speeds up my writing speed a notch and it helps me do my work faster. Though these things are not that well made
frown.gif

I think that OLED will be even worse, just LED should be fine. 

I have been studying this OLED and AMOLED technologies quite a lot lately, and they have a ghosting effect, (screen burn in) which is hereditary to the technology used inside. Basically because the blue LEDs are organic, they consume over time, and after a few years of usage the screen needs to be replaced. But with computers, as we use high luminosity and keep the screen on for long hours, it could come to the situation of screen replacement far shorter (few months).

The effect is visible on any Samsung smartphone or tablet with amoled. Just go in a shop, take one of those and open a chrome page, search for white, open a white image. You will see ghosts of everything that was on that screen.

LED (light emitting diodes) (not organic) would be awesome though, as long as they keep up with age. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #8,537 of 9,120
That UHD display is not G-sync powered, so no luck there, but it should be up to the levels of those dreamcolor displays, so I would actually take that any day instead of Gsync, even though I would really love to have both features. 

My actual laptop has the FHD display without G-sync, I mean the exact display, and it is extremely good, I just want even wider color range reproduction, mostly for Anime. I do some professional photo editing and create internet sites, but basically they are almost always viewed on business laptops / computers, so designing them with perfect color in mind is not exactly my top priority as most people do not see the exact shades of colors I use anyways. 

Also, after getting from a poor cheap LCD to my actual laptop, I can say that having wide gamut (93% sRGB) helps a lot with games too. It really makes the experience more intense, and more vivid. 
That is why I like my LG 31MU97 - I don't use it for gaming (use my Samsung UHD TV) and, has 100% SRGB and 99.5% adobe gamut...

Awesome for the money - Other than the above, DCi-P3 Sim mode is worth its weight in gold :)

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #8,538 of 9,120
That is why I like my LG 31MU97 - I don't use it for gaming (use my Samsung UHD TV) and, has 100% SRGB and 99.5% adobe gamut...

Awesome for the money - Other than the above, DCi-P3 Sim mode is worth its weight in gold
smily_headphones1.gif

Dude!

That monitor is killer!

If someone has a PC setup (not laptop) that thing is so awesome!

In Romania, there are no good monitors for sale, because there are very few people who are looking for high coverage of color spaces. But dude, now I am really thinking that I should buy a PC setup instead of laptop next time I upgrade. (A new laptop would be around 4000$ for the clevo with the good display, while I belive that a full desktop setup would end up at under 3000$)

What is DCi-P3 Sim mode?

Anyways congrats on a great setup!

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #8,539 of 9,120
If anyone in here could give me a piece of advice
biggrin.gif

I need to recommend a laptop with an entry CPU, and the options are 

N3050  seems this one is an even lower powered than low voltage. 

2957U

N2840  Seems that this one is worse than the other ones in terms of performance.

My friend said that it will be used for intensive Chrome browsing, music, and some photo editing using lightweight software, and photoshop if it will work.

Basically, there are options for laptops at the exact same prices having 500gb hdds, 4gbRAM, 15.6 display, and one of those CPUs. 

My friend said that the laptop should cost around 250$.

I want to hear opinions of people who are better at this than me
biggrin.gif
. I have no ideea what would be better or how to advice in this situation, or if there are similar priced options and notebookcheck (my main source of inspiration) does not return very big differences between those CPUs.

EDIT:::

After some reading it seems that the best solution is to get an N2940 CPU for 30$ more. I still want to know if I am right saying this, I am a Noob when it comes to these things!

EDIT2::: Seems that a laptop Lenovo B50-70 with a 2957U or a Dell 3542 with the same CPU should be the best options. 

Anyone has any ideea which is better? 

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #8,541 of 9,120
A pretty exclusive (judging by this admittedly out of date webpage that is easier to post than to explain) club for video rendering (cinema standard)

Thanks!

I did not know that. 

Seems, after how it looks that it would be somewhere around what AdboeRGB reproduces and sRGB does not. I was always curious how my contents (especially videos) would look on an monitor with adobeRGB 100% coverage. This question arisen in me because I have not even once seen one, and I am curious how much is it worth the effort of buying it. My actual monitor, (the same used in all high end laptops) can do 93% of sRGB as it seems, and I really love the colors on it, but I am really curious how much improvement I would see with an even better one. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #8,542 of 9,120
  If anyone in here could give me a piece of advice
biggrin.gif

I need to recommend a laptop with an entry CPU, and the options are 

N3050  seems this one is an even lower powered than low voltage. 

2957U

N2840  Seems that this one is worse than the other ones in terms of performance.

My friend said that it will be used for intensive Chrome browsing, music, and some photo editing using lightweight software, and photoshop if it will work.

Basically, there are options for laptops at the exact same prices having 500gb hdds, 4gbRAM, 15.6 display, and one of those CPUs. 

My friend said that the laptop should cost around 250$.

I want to hear opinions of people who are better at this than me
biggrin.gif
. I have no ideea what would be better or how to advice in this situation, or if there are similar priced options and notebookcheck (my main source of inspiration) does not return very big differences between those CPUs.

EDIT:::

After some reading it seems that the best solution is to get an N2940 CPU for 30$ more. I still want to know if I am right saying this, I am a Noob when it comes to these things!

EDIT2::: Seems that a laptop Lenovo B50-70 with a 2957U or a Dell 3542 with the same CPU should be the best options. 

Anyone has any ideea which is better? 

Is used an option?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M4600-Core-i7-2620M-2-70GHz-4GB-500GB-Windows-7-Professioal-/141837233776?hash=item2106286e70:g:lVYAAOSw7hRWO5VG

Enterprise grade laptop:
  1. Excellent build quality
  2. Excellent keyboard
  3. FHD Display
  4. Good system performance

I didn't check cosmetics of this particular unit.  There's always deals on binned corporate assets :wink:))
Few months ago the higher end models were $250 refurbished (backlit keyboard, faster processor, webcam, 16GB RAM, SSD)

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #8,543 of 9,120
Could go dumpster diving too, found a treasure trove of stuff at my school, including a working (good) hard drive, a monitor (1680x1050) and like... miles of ethernet cable (wooooooooop). I found a number of laptops too, none of which interested me, and had already had their stuff scavanged out, some companies may have full laptops with no HDDs in them (if they are smart)/

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #8,546 of 9,120
*cough* DDR4 *cough*
I hate DDR4 for that very reason...

Upgrading from the 4790 (non K) to the 5930K, had to scrap my perfectly usable 32GB of DDR3 and replace with DDR4 (X99 chipset, I'll be annoyed if I could've used the DDR3 on another platform!)

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #8,547 of 9,120
What do you guys think of the Radeon R7 360? I'm thinking of getting one just for light 1080p gaming, upgrading from the HD 5770.

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #8,549 of 9,120
  y u no go with Skylake den? Many of those chips can go DDR3 iirc?

DDR3L, yes. Low voltage DDR3 with less than 1.35v or otherwise you would burn your CPU's integrated memory controller.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #8,550 of 9,120
Also, the 6 series appear very limited at the moment, and I jumped a month or so ago...

Sure next year there will be a 6930k and a 6960x, but only having the vanilla chips right now.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back