PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 29, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #8,313 of 9,120
Well, I'm installing windows 10...

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #8,315 of 9,120
Enjoy... gonna wait for updates to start rolling incase zero day vulnerabilities show up.
yeah, I'm just impatient and I've been wanting to do a fresh install for a while. :)

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #8,316 of 9,120
Windows 10 colors are a little hot - my reds are popping out of my screen compared to 8.1...

AMD Catalyst appears to be working okay, so - assuming MS have done something a little different with their setup...

Have to say I'm liking Edge - a breath of fresh air compared to IE

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #8,317 of 9,120
Windows 10 colors are a little hot - my reds are popping out of my screen compared to 8.1...

AMD Catalyst appears to be working okay, so - assuming MS have done something a little different with their setup...

Have to say I'm liking Edge - a breath of fresh air compared to IE

I'm kind of liking the automatic driver updates concept because now I don't have to get AMD Gaming Evolved or set up a task to run the update check for AMD's own driver download software to get the latest drivers. Same w/ NVIDIA and GeForce Experience.

They really should have abandoned that logo though. It's going to bring some bad memories back to people. Last time I heard the stigma against IE was strong enough that even though IE11 and 12 were really strong browsers, not many people used it.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #8,318 of 9,120
Those browsers were very secure. That's why they were a bit slower, for me though i just really like this small set of add-ons I have for Firefox so I use that.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #8,319 of 9,120
Yeah edge seems actually pretty nice, kinda like vivaldi... I still prefer Firefox though. :p

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #8,321 of 9,120
I'm waiting on W10. It seems to take a lot of elements I like from Linux!

They made a bold claim a year ago saying Microsoft <3 Linux on one of their slides. XD I'm not lying.

Anyways, FINALLY, MULTIPLE WORKSPACES. WHERE THE FUDGE WERE YOU MICROSOFT.

Metro still needs to die though. Live tiles almost feels like the new version of widgets (pretty sure those died in Win 8). Though I'm not going to lie, that weather tile is really pretty. Forecast.io should make a weather tile. :p

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #8,322 of 9,120
Yeah, I'm holding on Windows 10... if I don't get it free and have to stick with Windows 8.1, nothing lost. I have no clue if the "version" of Windows 10 that I get will match the version I have of 8.1 which would concern me since I'm running Pro N.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #8,323 of 9,120
  Yeah, I'm holding on Windows 10... if I don't get it free and have to stick with Windows 8.1, nothing lost. I have no clue if the "version" of Windows 10 that I get will match the version I have of 8.1 which would concern me since I'm running Pro N.

I thought that if you had 8.1 you got a free update? Both my laptops got them (well, had to nab the tool from microsoft to force the update instead of waiting for them to roll it out to me). There's only 3 versions of 8.1 AFAIK, and apparently there are a lot more of 10, so you should get the equivalent.

Unless there are features you really can't live without in Pro N, I really recommend upgrading...it's genuinely much nicer to use. (I sat there pressing the windows key and looking at the start menu for at least 10 minutes...)

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #8,324 of 9,120
  I thought that if you had 8.1 you got a free update? Both my laptops got them (well, had to nab the tool from microsoft to force the update instead of waiting for them to roll it out to me). There's only 3 versions of 8.1 AFAIK, and apparently there are a lot more of 10, so you should get the equivalent.

Unless there are features you really can't live without in Pro N, I really recommend upgrading...it's genuinely much nicer to use. (I sat there pressing the windows key and looking at the start menu for at least 10 minutes...)

Yes, you do get it for free. But it isn't as simple as you think. When new software gets released there are going to be bugs and issues, a Day Zero install is going to have issues and until the new service packs or updates come out, those issues will still be there. These issues can range from security vulnerabilities to bugs in the UI. So yeah, it might look and feel nice, but it might have another side to it.

Anyways, freaking M$ figured out some way to force my laptop to update to Windows 10, and I couldn't find a way to get out of it... so yay, good thing I still have my Windows 8.1 USB key, setting up all my games and programs will be an utter pain in the ass though.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #8,325 of 9,120
I mean, I know there's gonna be Day-0 vulns, but microsoft has had their insider preview program for months with 5 million testers, so this release is pretty well fleshed out. Even on my Stealth Pro, with all its proprietary crap, is working perfectly fine. No programs were uninstalled, all my games/files still there, and no performance issues with any of my games either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back