PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 21, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #8,299 of 9,120
  Prodigy is big enough to be a mATX. That liter size is freaking enormous for a mITX.

I personally think it's too big too but the Prodigy did start as mITX and people liked the look. The Silverstone SG13 wins over and over in my book. I wish I waited for it before getting the 250D.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #8,300 of 9,120
My qualm with the SG13 is that CPU cooler max height is destroyed by using an ATX PSU over a SFX. They should probably release the SG05/SG06 with a new front panel because they have a pretty meh look.

The new Galaxy A8 is pretty interesting. Honestly it feels more like a flagship than the Galaxy S6 does outside of the SoC (though the 615 is a very good SoC already. I think it matches the 801?). Anyways I find it odd how it's a full 1mm thinner yet it can still handle dual SIM (it handles both TDD and FDD LTE, so a very future proof phone) and has a MicroSD slot while the S6 can't take two SIMs (from what I remember at least) and has no MicroSD slot for whatever reason.

Might be worth a buy considering that I don't have to pay for it and I'm in need of a phone here in China. If only it had a 620 instead, then things would get interesting.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #8,301 of 9,120
  My qualm with the SG13 is that CPU cooler max height is destroyed by using an ATX PSU over a SFX. They should probably release the SG05/SG06 with a new front panel because they have a pretty meh look.

Water cool the CPU? Probably better for SFF PC's anyway. My 250D has 2 rads but I'd like to get rid of the R9 290 and go to team green eventually. But I'm still gonna water cool my CPU though with either this 250D or the SG13.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #8,302 of 9,120

Water cool the CPU? Probably better for SFF PC's anyway. My 250D has 2 rads but I'd like to get rid of the R9 290 and go to team green eventually. But I'm still gonna water cool my CPU though with either this 250D or the SG13.

Not everybody has the money to shell out for an AIO loop. It's usually $50+.

That $20-$30 means a lot when putting together a system.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #8,303 of 9,120
Uhh, temps haven't been horrifying, you are fairly limited by the height of what you can do with it. I have a 4.0GHz@1.070V on the stock cooler and on the hottest day that I've had, it hasn't broken 75C. If one were to build a serious machine in this case, you would have to watercool, and if you were planning to build in a case like this, you should have already thought far enough ahead to include that money... this kind of build doesn't just happen, it took me nearly 6 days (and some sleepless nights) of planning in my head on how to build in the case on top of what I'd watched from Linus's video of his build. If someone wanted to half-ass it in this case, it won't turn out well, and whatever case or money they put down is already wasted.

Hopefully I won't come out as attacking anyone, but if you don't have the brain capacity to put that kind of effort into planning and laying out a SFF build properly, which includes budget and all the other restrictions that this kind of build has, then you shouldn't be building it in the first place. I personally built this rig on a 250USD budget, not including the parts I already owned. And even with the extensive planning I did, things have still had to change, and there are still other issues that I'm working on fixing. Each of those fixes to the hardware (swapping out unstable RAM, new thermal paste, cable re-org, etc.) requires a few more hours of planning, or it just doesn't go right and I would have no one to blame but myself for those mistakes (like overlooking the fact that I have no USB 3.0 header on the mobo and need a converter).

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #8,305 of 9,120
  Uhh, temps haven't been horrifying, you are fairly limited by the height of what you can do with it. I have a 4.0GHz@1.070V on the stock cooler and on the hottest day that I've had, it hasn't broken 75C. If one were to build a serious machine in this case, you would have to watercool, and if you were planning to build in a case like this, you should have already thought far enough ahead to include that money... this kind of build doesn't just happen, it took me nearly 6 days (and some sleepless nights) of planning in my head on how to build in the case on top of what I'd watched from Linus's video of his build. If someone wanted to half-ass it in this case, it won't turn out well, and whatever case or money they put down is already wasted.

Hopefully I won't come out as attacking anyone, but if you don't have the brain capacity to put that kind of effort into planning and laying out a SFF build properly, which includes budget and all the other restrictions that this kind of build has, then you shouldn't be building it in the first place. I personally built this rig on a 250USD budget, not including the parts I already owned. And even with the extensive planning I did, things have still had to change, and there are still other issues that I'm working on fixing. Each of those fixes to the hardware (swapping out unstable RAM, new thermal paste, cable re-org, etc.) requires a few more hours of planning, or it just doesn't go right and I would have no one to blame but myself for those mistakes (like overlooking the fact that I have no USB 3.0 header on the mobo and need a converter).

You're so right, it all depends on what budget and what you're willing to do if you wanna do SFF. I mean you can do the same rig for much cheaper if you went with a mid tower without any issues with temperatures and part clearances. I really do enjoy small but powerful setups, and the video Linus made me fall in love with this case though I might have to stop water cooling my GPU which means I'll probably have to upgrade it. I really love super small, quiet and powerful but it does require a bit of coin if you want to optimize all and still be able to run everything in ultra or semi-ultra in 1440p... It's quite a challenge to cable things in SFF PC's too and you have to think about how to effectively cool a build. This is only my second SFF case, but I love, love, love it. Would totally get that Silverstone when I upgrade in a couple of years probably.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #8,306 of 9,120

You're so right, it all depends on what budget and what you're willing to do if you wanna do SFF. I mean you can do the same rig for much cheaper if you went with a mid tower without any issues with temperatures and part clearances. I really do enjoy small but powerful setups, and the video Linus made me fall in love with this case though I might have to stop water cooling my GPU which means I'll probably have to upgrade it. I really love super small, quiet and powerful but it does require a bit of coin if you want to optimize all and still be able to run everything in ultra or semi-ultra in 1440p... It's quite a challenge to cable things in SFF PC's too and you have to think about how to effectively cool a build. This is only my second SFF case, but I love, love, love it. Would totally get that Silverstone when I upgrade in a couple of years probably.

Yes, I haven't personally built an SFF rig before, but this has got to be the most fun I've ever had building a PC. Ever. It also amuses me to have a computer that I spent about 250USD on, that can almost match rigs that cost a couple of thousand dollars, with compromises. A friend and I were tossing around the idea of messing with some of our other friends and doing a case swap and shove his entire desktop inside of my case (the prodigy build). It would have been so much fun, but so cruel.

I used to be part of the group of people say that "x" part is better than "y" because of w/e (more cores, bigger numbers, etc.), but from the past few weeks, my perception of that has changed dramatically. More used to be better, but not anymore. Sadly it's so hard to explain why things are this way to someone that doesn't want to do their research. :frowning2:

Anyone remember the Silverstone FT03? I was debating whether to go with my 350D or the FT03 way back when.

Man... not enough people build inside the FT03, that is a case in its own class. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #8,307 of 9,120
  Yes, I haven't personally built an SFF rig before, but this has got to be the most fun I've ever had building a PC. Ever. It also amuses me to have a computer that I spent about 250USD on, that can almost match rigs that cost a couple of thousand dollars, with compromises. A friend and I were tossing around the idea of messing with some of our other friends and doing a case swap and shove his entire desktop inside of my case (the prodigy build). It would have been so much fun, but so cruel.

I used to be part of the group of people say that "x" part is better than "y" because of w/e (more cores, bigger numbers, etc.), but from the past few weeks, my perception of that has changed dramatically. More used to be better, but not anymore. Sadly it's so hard to explain why things are this way to someone that doesn't want to do their research. :frowning2:

Man... not enough people build inside the FT03, that is a case in its own class. 

What rigs would be those? I'm not really updated on PC rigs anymore because I last upgraded with a Haswell i5 a couple of years ago. And just sell your prodigy case, someone on Reddit (or here) will probably buy it. And for me, putting a lot more in something so tiny is where the fun is. Someday I want a 4k rig with the smallest case possible but that won't be anytime soon since my rig is pretty much up to date.

Grats on your build though, I'm still jelly of the case.

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #8,308 of 9,120
My rig is the one I linked before, the rig inside the Prodigy is much more powerful. It has a Maximus VII Impact, 4790K, EVGA 760 (maybe Ti), and 16 GB of ram. We were toying with the idea of putting it in my case, cause it would fit, minus the massive CPU tower my friend has it in and would probably be the most powerful rig per liter that any of us had seen before. And it would probably smack whatever junk some other friends had put together on a much larger budget in a much larger case.

Now... who's up for Insurgency, my friends are either taking summer classes, utterly useless or mending their face from getting wisdom teeth ripped out.

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #8,309 of 9,120
  My rig is the one I linked before, the rig inside the Prodigy is much more powerful. It has a Maximus VII Impact, 4790K, EVGA 760 (maybe Ti), and 16 GB of ram. We were toying with the idea of putting it in my case, cause it would fit, minus the massive CPU tower my friend has it in and would probably be the most powerful rig per liter that any of us had seen before. And it would probably smack whatever junk some other friends had put together on a much larger budget in a much larger case.

Now... who's up for Insurgency, my friends are either taking summer classes, utterly useless or mending their face from getting wisdom teeth ripped out.

If my stupid GPU, as you specifically know, wouldn't crash everything, I would.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #8,310 of 9,120
  If my stupid GPU, as you specifically know, wouldn't crash everything, I would.

Hey man, mine needs a screwdriver propping it up or it will crash and need to be restarted.  That's right, the massive ass heatsink has made it sag and I think the pcb is now warped or something.  I wonder if AMD will let me do some cool trade in - like all the nvidia kids get to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back