PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 8, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #6,061 of 9,120

Hey hey hey let's not forget about nazi zombies! That's the only reason I bought any CoD after World at War.  I remember getting to round 58 with some Asian dude from California back in my PS3 days.
I guess he would.  It was just way too funny how we still destroyed his team round after round.  There weren't any admins on to kick him and apparently in the servers teamspeak all the admins were afk and the hacker was "talking schiit on it" according to dudes on ingame chat.

The zombies mode was the only real multiplayer in WaW, gets boring after awhile.  (still has great replay value though)
How old are these guys?  lol, sounds like it was really funny

True enough
The original Bad Company had a really badass campaign though :D

BC looked to be like a turning point for Battlefield. A real campaign!! Something must have went terribly wrong along the way, because BF4.. ehhhhhhhhhhh :/

im looking for a cheap dac because my laptop has bad dac with revealing headphones....

apparently... there are no cheap dac/amp less than $200 where i live. and that's not cheap... PC is a burgeoning market here though, and there are quite many options of sound cards, some of them external.

there are some creative soundcards for ~$50~$70 and one steelseries siberia soundcard for $60.... i've never use soundcard before... if i buy soundcard, can i use it as a dac...?

cheerssss

A sound card is to a graphics card, as motherboard audio is to motherboard graphics.  I do not think your laptop would take an internal card, so you might say you would need an external soundcard (aka external dac). 

FiiO and Musiland make affordable external dac/amps.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #6,062 of 9,120
The zombies mode was the only real multiplayer in WaW, gets boring after awhile.  (still has great replay value though)

BC looked to be like a turning point for Battlefield. A real campaign!! Something must have went terribly wrong along the way, because BF4.. ehhhhhhhhhhh :/

A sound card is to a graphics card, as motherboard audio is to motherboard graphics.  I do not think your laptop would take an internal card, so you might say you would need an external soundcard (aka external dac). 

the cheapest fiio here is $165 fiio e17. looking for something cheaper than that.... no musiland where im at.

there are a couple of external sound cards like...

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound-Blaster-Recon3D.aspx

http://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-surround-5-1-pro

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Go-Pro/M/B0044DEDC0.htm

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-usb-soundcard

those are everything that's available locally on my pc store... and everything is ~<$100

i've never use a sound card before, and all i know about them is that they are use for gaming (either for game chat or for better sound for FPS games and stuffs...) my question is... do they serve as DAC as well...?

and will buying those eliminates my laptop bad DAC hissing noise...?

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #6,063 of 9,120
How do you know the DAC is what is causing your hissing noise? Seems unlikely. It's hard for us to really know what you mean by "hissing noise" - is it a constant hiss, or is it more of a scratchy sound? Is it worse when you wiggle the plug? Have you tried different headphones? Does it happen only in games, or also when just playing music? Does it happen all the time, or just sometimes? Does it happen both when the laptop is plugged into AC power and also when unplugged and on battery? Have you tried getting the latest drivers for your laptop sound chip?

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #6,064 of 9,120
How do you know the DAC is what is causing your hissing noise? Seems unlikely. It's hard for us to really know what you mean by "hissing noise" - is it a constant hiss, or is it more of a scratchy sound? Is it worse when you wiggle the plug? Have you tried different headphones? Does it happen only in games, or also when just playing music? Does it happen all the time, or just sometimes? Does it happen both when the laptop is plugged into AC power and also when unplugged and on battery? Have you tried getting the latest drivers for your laptop sound chip?

thank you for taking the time to reply....

alright let me try to answer 1 by 1...

How do you know the DAC is what is causing your hissing noise?
an educated guess, and also based on some googling.. my laptop brand is pretty famous for mediocre onboard dac...

It's hard for us to really know what you mean by "hissing noise" - is it a constant hiss...
yes it's a constant hiss, when i plug my headphone into the audio jack. actually, when i plug my portable speaker into audio jack it hisses as well.

Is it worse when you wiggle the plug?
no, not really. and its not scratchy sound, its just constant hiss.

Have you tried different headphones?
yes, my <$100 headphone and my $300 revealing headphone...

Does it happen only in games, or also when just playing music?
almost all my music is 320kbps or flac... but it doesn't matter, it's just hiss all the time. not only when playing games or music or movie, just all the time. and it's not fan noise. im surprised that the fan noise is very barely audible. i dont play games btw.

Does it happen both when the laptop is plugged into AC power and also when unplugged and on battery?
yes

Have you tried getting the latest drivers for your laptop sound chip?
yes

oh also... the hisses is gone when i use my colleague's fiio e17... if that helps...
ah, i also hv a PC at home with those new-ish Z87 motherboard with that audio gimmicky stuff. crystal sound purity sound audio boost... smthn like that. anyway, no hisses when i listen to music / watch some media on my pc...

it doesn't even hiss with my old laptop from, 2007. but the old laptop from 2007 is a far better model

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #6,066 of 9,120

thank you for taking the time to reply....

alright let me try to answer 1 by 1...

How do you know the DAC is what is causing your hissing noise? an educated guess, and also based on some googling.. my laptop brand is pretty famous for mediocre onboard dac...

It's hard for us to really know what you mean by "hissing noise" - is it a constant hiss... yes it's a constant hiss, when i plug my headphone into the audio jack. actually, when i plug my portable speaker into audio jack it hisses as well.

Is it worse when you wiggle the plug? no, not really. and its not scratchy sound, its just constant hiss.

Have you tried different headphones? yes, my <$100 headphone and my $300 revealing headphone...

Does it happen only in games, or also when just playing music? almost all my music is 320kbps or flac... but it doesn't matter, it's just hiss all the time. not only when playing games or music or movie, just all the time. and it's not fan noise. im surprised that the fan noise is very barely audible. i dont play games btw.

Does it happen both when the laptop is plugged into AC power and also when unplugged and on battery? yes

Have you tried getting the latest drivers for your laptop sound chip? yes

oh also... the hisses is gone when i use my colleague's fiio e17... if that helps...
ah, i also hv a PC at home with those new-ish Z87 motherboard with that audio gimmicky stuff. crystal sound purity sound audio boost... smthn like that. anyway, no hisses when i listen to music / watch some media on my pc...

it doesn't even hiss with my old laptop from, 2007. but the old laptop from 2007 is a far better model

Like I said below, it is most likely the amp you are hearing. Not that it matters anyway as in consumer solutions, there isn't any way to 'seperate' the two. Not that you would ever spend money to anyway.

IT may also be a grounding issue. Commonly noise is either the amp or a grounding issue. If you have a desktop, check your I/O shield grounding pins and screws on motherboard and bronze standoffs. However apart from that, even if it was all done right, grounding could still be an issue if stuff in the enviroment is affecting it, or if the innate ability to ground is schitty. 

Some laptops have schiit grounding as well so that can't be ruled out. 

And at the very end, it could be due to amp specs being poor. In the sense that the output impedance is too high. Infinately small and closest to 0 ohm output impedance is always desired, but that is pretty much never the case on consumer products. Thus, by the general rule of 8, you may be having issues with output impedance as well. Try dropping some high impedance (over 64 if you have) headphones and plug them in. No more noise? Well there is the problem. Not one you can fix anyway besides getting an external audio playback devie. 

The e17's output impedance is decently good for most genereal 32 ohm headphones and won't hiss from impedance. It's amp and DAC is pretty 'quiet' as well with very low if minimal noise. However the E17 is succeptible to EMI. I've played and own pretty much every FiiO on the market and ones not on the market. 

So well, I've outlined all the problems it could be, none of which you can do anything about without a device like the E17. You don't need an E17 of course. 

List below:
Enviromental EMI
Piss Poor Grounding in case either innately or phsyically
Amp having lots of noise
Amp having a high output impedance.
Combined effects with mediocre/poor consumer DAC leading to that.

Like others have said, look into cheap companies like MUSE or others that have cheaper external DAC/Amp combos for computers on ebay or the likes. Or if you have a friend in the USA. It may be cheaper to buy a FiiO on sale in the USA and then send it over to yur country. The E17 is sometimes $110 USD here.

I shipped custom ear impressions and recrod stuff to HK and Singapore for $7 USD and heavier stuff like a DAC for $20.

Probably the DAC if it's a hiss or grain when nothing is playing.

No. It's most likely the amplifier. 

If a DAC had a low THD and a lot of noise, it wouldn't be audible if it wasn't for the amp.

And from experience, it is almost always the amp people are hearing in crap laptops. That's not to say the DAC isn't bad, but what you can readily hear, is the amp.

However, in a laptop/desktop, it makes no difference. There isn't line outs that bypass amps in consumer laptops/desktops so whatever it is, its the laptops audio capabilities that suck balls. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #6,067 of 9,120
i'll read over your reply slowly tomorrow and google some more stuff before replying in details. i couldn't possibly know i guess whether the laptop have schit grounding or not...

but,, my apartment electricity grounding is fine. it's proper. i have a neighbor with corsair mechanical keyboard and in places with crap groundings they sting, even my laptop sting in crap grounding places, not in my apt though...

idk if this helps or not but the hiss comes in 2 volumes... volume 1 is the low hiss. it's there, and very noticeable, but it's low. the low volume hiss happens when i just wear the headphone or plug my portable speaker but doesn't play anything with it (no music no movie no sound). i don't mute the OS though. just not playing anything, for example when im reading or need to concentrate or smthn.

---and then... when i play videos / musics for example... the hiss is beaten by the video. like people talking, songs, stuffs.

but then after the videos ends or the music ends, and only the hiss remains.... the hiss becomes louder... (aka volume 2). the hiss becomes louder for some time... until suddenly there is a "pop" sound and then the hiss becomes volume 1 again.

i don't time how long hiss volume 2 going on until it pops and becomes volume 1 again but its pretty long.... 15-30 minutes probably...?

so when there are sounds playing like videos or songs,,, my guess is that it becomes volume 2 (the loud hiss)... it's just beaten by the actual sounds i guess... since i'm not very sensitive with sound either, everytime i just noticed it when the video / songs ends.. when only hiss in silence remains.

if i give you a picture with VLC media player sound percentage... (1-200 scale). i'd say the low hiss is somethin on the 20-25 and i watch video files on 80-90, and the loud hiss is 40-50... if that make sense

hoe that helps...
tl;dr its not my apartment grounds, im not sure about anything else. oh the laptop brand is dell... i dont think it have crap innate grounding considering dell focus is more to corporate than to retails and it's a us brand where they have to follow some regulations.... but all in all im not sure...

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #6,069 of 9,120
i'll read over your reply slowly tomorrow and google some more stuff before replying in details. i couldn't possibly know i guess whether the laptop have schit grounding or not...

but,, my apartment electricity grounding is fine. it's proper. i have a neighbor with corsair mechanical keyboard and in places with crap groundings they sting, even my laptop sting in crap grounding places, not in my apt though...

idk if this helps or not but the hiss comes in 2 volumes... volume 1 is the low hiss. it's there, and very noticeable, but it's low. the low volume hiss happens when i just wear the headphone or plug my portable speaker but doesn't play anything with it (no music no movie no sound). i don't mute the OS though. just not playing anything, for example when im reading or need to concentrate or smthn.

---and then... when i play videos / musics for example... the hiss is beaten by the video. like people talking, songs, stuffs.

but then after the videos ends or the music ends, and only the hiss remains.... the hiss becomes louder... (aka volume 2). the hiss becomes louder for some time... until suddenly there is a "pop" sound and then the hiss becomes volume 1 again.

i don't time how long hiss volume 2 going on until it pops and becomes volume 1 again but its pretty long.... 15-30 minutes probably...?

so when there are sounds playing like videos or songs,,, my guess is that it becomes volume 2 (the loud hiss)... it's just beaten by the actual sounds i guess... since i'm not very sensitive with sound either, everytime i just noticed it when the video / songs ends.. when only hiss in silence remains.

if i give you a picture with VLC media player sound percentage... (1-200 scale). i'd say the low hiss is somethin on the 20-25 and i watch video files on 80-90, and the loud hiss is 40-50... if that make sense

hoe that helps...
tl;dr its not my apartment grounds, im not sure about anything else. oh the laptop brand is dell... i dont think it have crap innate grounding considering dell focus is more to corporate than to retails and it's a us brand where they have to follow some regulations.... but all in all im not sure...

Your apartment grounding could matter, but I was talking more about enviromental aspects. I've had EMI before on units when a data cable was on top of a lamps power cable for example. 

Sounds like amplifier. I have it on my desktops motherboard audio out as well. Very quiet hiss on my crap temp speakers when nothing is playing. 

The pop is also the ampifier. I have it happen a lot as well. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #6,070 of 9,120
  Well, USB but that isn't analog neither was it really designed with audio in mind in the first place.

USB isn't a line out from DAC.

I was referring to the inability to really care about DAC or amp in consumer units as you can't seperate them anyway. So when one part of that entire scheme has issues as he is having, it is usless to try to talk about what is causing it anyway in terms of identifying the exact unit as....you can't take it apart.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #6,071 of 9,120
My DAC has HDMI, USB, optical and coaxial inputs. Whenever I connect DAC via HDMI to computer - my amp starts slightly crackle, with USB connections it remains silent and interestingly the same is with optical and coaxial - optical introduces noise and coaxial remains silent . I wonder, whether  this is cable issue - some are better shielded than others or is it something else.

On a side note, now that 1 TB SSD's are becoming somewhat obtainable - would it be good idea to use it as incoming media drive, which gets written over a lot?

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #6,072 of 9,120
  My DAC has HDMI, USB, optical and coaxial inputs. Whenever I connect DAC via HDMI to computer - my amp starts slightly crackle, with USB connections it remains silent and interestingly the same is with optical and coaxial - optical introduces noise and coaxial remains silent . I wonder, whether  this is cable issue - some are better shielded than others or is it something else.

On a side note, now that 1 TB SSD's are becoming somewhat obtainable - would it be good idea to use it as incoming media drive, which gets written over a lot?

My DAC has HDMI, USB, optical and coaxial inputs.

I don't doubt it as HDMI is a digital interface....but...wat? It's entirely feasable and definately doable.....but HDMI is rarely used for ONLY audio as this purpose here would have it. 

Either the signal the HDMI interface is sending to the DAC is crap, or there are some internal issues dealing with HDMI support.

Optical introduces noise and issues if the cable has 'bending' to it, AND, most likely, when the heads aren't clean. Optical is the most maintanence full cable out of every one of them due to this. The heads of the cables and the 'inputs' need to be very clean. Oil smudges from finger prints (just touching it will), and general dust and time will put this stuff on the cable headers and enders creating the noise you hear. No such thing as EMI with this. However Optical Toslink introduces jitter issues due to its interface. 

Coaxial has EMI shielding but doesn't have as bad if much jitter issue that Optical Toslink has. \

If you can afford it, go for it is the key idea for anything dude. SSD's have been vastly imrpoved and don't have as much of an issue of being plauged with dieing from frequent reads and writes anymore. Obviously, like ANYTHING in the world. It will still have this natural cause of death plague. But nothing like before. For most media however, unless you are Mr. Moneybaggs, it is still most economical to store it on HDD's. HDD's are more than capable of playback of most media. 

The situation differs for media artists dealing with photo and video. I've been in these situations and prefer stuff on SSD's immensley. Especially when working with large graphics projects and ESPECIALLY, video. Obviously, when I do these. I only edit and place the large video files on my SSD's one at a time and don't let it accumulate and leave it there only for the duration of the project. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #6,073 of 9,120
USB is still my main and the best connection to computer, when I got the NAD M51 DAC I simply tried all the available inputs with computer. It didn't matter with HDMI whether I used my graphic card  HDMI slot or mobo's one. There is still one possibility - to try my monitors HDMI, but since USB is so good - I can't be arsed to do that.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #6,074 of 9,120
  USB is still my main and the best connection to computer, when I got the NAD M51 DAC I simply tried all the available inputs with computer. It didn't matter with HDMI whether I used my graphic card  HDMI slot or mobo's one. There is still one possibility - to try my monitors HDMI, but since USB is so good - I can't be arsed to do that.

Whatever connector is most available is the one I use. 

When you start having to use 3+ DAC's with a single computer, you just go with what you have.

Last time I had to do a comparison, the two DAC's didn't come with the larger Type B header and so I had to use various ways of coax/opt on my desky to get it to work. Thankfully it did after some Frankenstein stuff. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #6,075 of 9,120

the cheapest fiio here is $165 fiio e17. looking for something cheaper than that.... no musiland where im at.

there are a couple of external sound cards like...

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound-Blaster-Recon3D.aspx

http://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-surround-5-1-pro

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Go-Pro/M/B0044DEDC0.htm

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-usb-soundcard

those are everything that's available locally on my pc store... and everything is ~<$100

i've never use a sound card before, and all i know about them is that they are use for gaming (either for game chat or for better sound for FPS games and stuffs...) my question is... do they serve as DAC as well...?

and will buying those eliminates my laptop bad DAC hissing noise...?

They are 'good' for gaming, I would not count on them being worth your money :wink:

How much is the shipping on this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Musiland-Monitor-02US-USB-Sound-Card-New-Free-Shipping-/111401798056?pt=US_Sound_Card_External&hash=item19f01089a8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back