PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
May 16, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #5,642 of 9,120

I encourage this no matter the brand. It's best to have one local and one off-site backup. I have CrashPlan and a local external for my backups.

Same here, but most people are too lazy to do that
smile.gif

Care to share your experience with HDD brands?

May 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #5,643 of 9,120
Same here, but most people are too lazy to do that
smile.gif

Care to share your experience with HDD brands?

As far as spinning drives, I've had bad luck with WD externals in the past, but their internal drives tend to serve me well. I've had several Maxtors fail on me too soon so I've stopped using them altogether. Lately I've been using Samsung SSDs as my primary drives in my last 2 computers, and my MBP currently has a 750GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive as a slave.

Seagate does get a bad rap for reliability because of the Backblaze blog post, but I view Backblazes data as a reliable source if you're going to have the drive running under the most possible strain in daily operation. For the average person, I doubt you'd end up utilizing a drive as much as a data backup service would.

My next build will have whatever SSD thegamefanatics.com's sponsors will be donating for testing/reviewing. At the moment it's looking like it'll be either a Samsung 840 EVO or the new HyperX Fury SSD.

May 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #5,646 of 9,120

I've had 4 seagates and 1 wd die on me. For your own sake, I hope that you're right. Backup just in case.

Good experience but it isn't definite.

Right? The dude that posted the study on his company that everyone is blowing out of proportion mentioned and alerted readers to what the data means in his report... Guess how many read the full report and disclaimers? If they did, that picture wouldn't be posted nearly as much as it is

May 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #5,647 of 9,120

Right? The dude that posted the study on his company that everyone is blowing out of proportion mentioned and alerted readers to what the data means in his report... Guess how many read the full report and disclaimers? If they did, that picture wouldn't be posted nearly as much as it is

To me, a chart means nothing without the context behind it.  
biggrin.gif

Its like science... Only without the science haha

May 18, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #5,648 of 9,120

It seems like you didn't read the full report.

May 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #5,649 of 9,120

What Drives Is Backblaze Buying Now?

We are focusing on 4TB drives for new pods. For these, our current favorite is the Seagate Desktop HDD.15 (ST4000DM000)

Yeah, seems legit.

They do not note the years they purchased these drives, batches, defects, etc.  Their sample sizes are weird too >.>

Just because some article says Kim Jong-un landed a man on the sun and back in less than 18 hours does not mean that he actually did (Or that he supposedly has a unicorn ranch) 
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5,650 of 9,120

But the problem was, that I did, and I read what the dude said.

The company dealt in data. Forgot if it was backups or any of that but whatever.

How they choose drives follow the following:

They keep a close eye on the market constantly to buy new drives. When they see a few HDD's that are in their price range and general specifications, they buy them and run them through a certain benchmark test. If it passes or reaches their requirements, it gets added to the buy list and bought on mass.

NOTE: That the blogger, company writter noted that they only bought HDD's that fit the size, price, and specs that they needed. This could mean they bought a certain enterprise HDD or even not. Also note that they are buying a certain HDD of a size, and that is limited by price which means that you are getting a market of the HDD sector of that company limited to that size spec, and MSRP or street price aquired price. Also note that their benchmark test does not necessarily mean it was able to weed out the HDD's that won't last the longest. The strenous stress test their benchmark put some drives through just means that the drives that passed it would fit the conditions that they needed and set forth to want. Not the most reliable drive. You could have a drive X that in reality (by hidden Seagate numbers) would be more reliable than drive Y. Problem then being that drive X can't sustain the sustained and constant read writes, and temps that the benchmark gives and thus drive Y made it past. Then we must also consider factors again in which the company chose not just enterprise drives but just any and many drives that fit their size, spec, and cost sheet before benhmarking

The writter clearly mentioned that the graph and data was not conclusive to anything in the real world in terms of how Segate or WD etc perform. It was just data that their company had based on the drives that they chose which were based upon requirements that their benchmarks needed

This is the 4th time I wrote this. I'm not saying the data is useless. It's not, for companies like the one that did it or any VERY similar to it and that would use its benchmark, and aquisition pattern of HDD's, this data is invaluable. However, change a few of those factors (say that their aquisition of HDD's was different such that the price was much higher or lower, or size being different), and the data is no longer completely reliable for that sector.

May 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #5,652 of 9,120
Guys, I just built the PC, but the A6-6400K is always at full load, any help? It's been running like its super laggy and old.
EDIT: Never mind, MSI LU5 was being funky.

Build Log or PcPartPicker list?

You're here a lot but don't talk about your own PC build often.

I'm guessing you were on a budget? 

Depending on what you needed the PC to do. If you strictly just wanted a gaming build, the intel haswell based Pentium G3220 would have been a much better choice. 

However the APU's work for purposes that require as many cores as possibly with the least power draw.

AMD is known for some quirky apps like Cool and Quiet and other stuff that may not have been installed right and thus giving 100% load. I know you fixed the problem, but I had a similar one in the past.

May 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #5,653 of 9,120
Build Log or PcPartPicker list?

You're here a lot but don't talk about your own PC build often.

I'm guessing you were on a budget? 

Depending on what you needed the PC to do. If you strictly just wanted a gaming build, the intel haswell based Pentium G3220 would have been a much better choice. 

However the APU's work for purposes that require as many cores as possibly with the least power draw.

AMD is known for some quirky apps like Cool and Quiet and other stuff that may not have been installed right and thus giving 100% load. I know you fixed the problem, but I had a similar one in the past.
This isn't my build though. I'll get the list up later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back