PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
May 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #5,627 of 9,120
Oh yeah my 3tb Seagate drive died a month ago, about 8 months I've had it... Fuçk that.

May 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #5,628 of 9,120
  The thing with new things is that it takes people time to learn it and get used to it. That is the biggest issue

HOWEVER, it seems Microsoft seems to bank and believe that that is the only real issue with 8 and 8.1, that people haven't adjusted to the newer way of how things work (integration and full screen always on top style). But no, its not just that. Like Haiburi says, the Metro Apps are a pain in the ass to use for power users(although Microsoft gives power users the option of learning keyboard commands to forgo using or seeing Metro). But all in all, Microsoft is trying to create a middle road for multiple types of users, they aren't doing it poorly but they aren't doing it well either.

They are trying to overlay a fully mobile experience and distinction and put it on the desktop. The naming schemes of new tablets and products show this quite well.

I prefer what Apple is doing in keeping the desktop experience, and pushing mobile products and experiences onto it that helps it blend together (without the user knowing often) in different UI functionality and ways that don't make the desktop experience schiit.

Check out the new start menu coming this summer/autumn.  They made a smart compromise for desktop users!  

War Thunder Ground Forces is out for open public

My mini ITX build is ready to rock once I get home.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced Mini-ITX Gaming Chasis
CPU: Intel Core i5 Haswell 4430 3GHz CPU (more or less comparable to the 4670/k that everyone likes, but I got mine for $150 less)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC'd to 1200MHz Core/1350MHz Memory
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
PSU: OZC ModXStreamPro 700W Modular (only because I am reusing parts)
Mobo: Asrock H81-M ITX Motherboard
SSD: Seagate 600 Series 240GB (leading speeds for its tier)
HDD: Segate 1TB 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Congrats, good thing you went with modular lol...  How much did your i5 cost???  
blink.gif

Nothing wrong with Seagate imo 
biggrin.gif
  Maybe I am the odd one, but most of my WD drives die before my Seagate ones

Doesn't everyone hit the start key and start typing in the programme name and just hit enter when it comes up?

I've been doing that since XP days; much faster than flying through menus with a mouse and it works exactly the same with Win8.  I guess since I don't use any Metro programmes and Live Tiles mean nothing to me (seriously...you're going to keep it on the 'start menu' and wait for whatever information to cycle back around?) that Win8 doesn't bother me too much.

I do.  You're right, way faster than going through context menus (especially versions prior to Vista...)

Now that's just asking for trouble.

Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB
2010-2014  (Purchased it used, 2008 drive).  No new damaged sectors (all were there when I purchased it).

May 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #5,631 of 9,120
I'd love to see what causes these failures. I've had over 10, internal, 7200 RPM Seagate drives spanning ~16 years now and none have ever failed. I have had WD (still works) and a Maxtor drive as well and the Maxtor failed after ~8 years, it was a whopping 40GBs!

My best guesses as to why are:

1) I'm lucky
2) I set my drives to never spin down
3) I have at least paid a little attention to keeping the drives cool with good cable routing (IDE cables blocked tons of airflow) and fan placement.
4) I don't move my computers around much at all once they're built.
5) I haven't really bought any of their lower priced drives, I usually get the ones with the most cache memory, etc.

May 16, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #5,632 of 9,120
I'd love to see what causes these failures. I've had over 10, internal, 7200 RPM Seagate drives spanning ~16 years now and none have ever failed. I have had WD (still works) and a Maxtor drive as well and the Maxtor failed after ~8 years, it was a whopping 40GBs!

My best guesses as to why are:

1) I'm lucky
2) I set my drives to never spin down
3) I have at least paid a little attention to keeping the drives cool with good cable routing (IDE cables blocked tons of airflow) and fan placement.
4) I don't move my computers around much at all once they're built.
5) I haven't really bought any of their lower priced drives, I usually get the ones with the most cache memory, etc.

Same, except for (2).  A couple of my systems never spin down, otherwise they are subject to whatever is default on the OS.  Seagate has been good to me, so had WD.  I had 2 faulty WD drives altogether, but they were very old.  

Seagate drives are known for for having a high failure rate.

This is just an example you can google for more.
http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Really depends on how and where the data was aggregated.  Were the failures from identical machines?  So many variables, many conclusions to be made from this data 
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #5,636 of 9,120
Nothing is wrong with Seagate :wink:
Congrats, looks like the same PSU I will be getting over the weekend haha.  Let me know how it is

Wait.. White chick with Starbucks?  
You're in good ol' 'Murican, right? Stereotypically, white citizens of the opposite species imeangender, are obsessed with Instagram, Starbucks, and iPhones. They're always Instagramming their fancy-schmancy cups of Starbucks.
EDIT: Oh, you're getting the same PSU? It's the EVGA NEX650G.

May 16, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #5,638 of 9,120
  Seagate drives are known for for having a high failure rate.

This is just an example you can google for more.
http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

/i knew someone would post that image. That image is absolutely useless. I explained it once here and twice in the AAMML thread already. The company and person who put that up even mentioned in his full report that the data isn't really useful for most people. This is because the application style, process, and drives they used were highly specific.

Check out the new start menu coming this summer/autumn.  They made a smart compromise for desktop users!  

Congrats, good thing you went with modular lol...  How much did your i5 cost???  
blink.gif

Nothing wrong with Seagate imo 
biggrin.gif
  Maybe I am the odd one, but most of my WD drives die before my Seagate ones

I do.  You're right, way faster than going through context menus (especially versions prior to Vista...)

Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB
2010-2014  (Purchased it used, 2008 drive).  No new damaged sectors (all were there when I purchased it).

I got the i5 for $99 :wink: I got Staples to pricematch a Fry's ad.

I need your input on this:
Should I add an SSD to my rig
 or
Upgrade my audio gear?

Depends on what you currently have for audio gear.

But I personally would do SSD

May 16, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #5,639 of 9,120
You're in good ol' 'Murican, right? Stereotypically, white citizens of the opposite species imeangender, are obsessed with Instagram, Starbucks, and iPhones. They're always Instagramming their fancy-schmancy cups of Starbucks.
EDIT: Oh, you're getting the same PSU? It's the EVGA NEX650G.

Hmm, I now see why my little brother likes starbucks. 
I think its the same one.  I will find out sometime this weekend, buying it off someone.  The box looked identical, same wattage.  He said he paid $80 for it, on Amazon the NEX650G is $85..  
biggrin.gif

I need your input on this:
Should I add an SSD to my rig
 or
Upgrade my audio gear?

Depends on what your system is used for, and what you currently have for storage/audio.  If you find yourself gaming a lot you might as well go with audio first, especially if you are on integrated. 
If you are multitasking with heavy applications you probably want to get an SSD.  I do not listen to music when I have Matlab/Microstation/etc open, but I appreciate the SSD because I get work done faster.

IMO having an SSD is great, but it could be something you would not appreciate as much.  
If you care about audio, and I assume you do, get an external DAC/Amp.  

My god BF4 still blows.  Only playing it because there's a livestream and I just got the memory leak for the first time ever  on new drivers.... FUUU

Pretty damn lame it just happened again

I have an unopened retail copy of BF4, have yet to register the serial....  Not sure what is going on, because DICE is generally excellent.

May 16, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #5,640 of 9,120
  /i knew someone would post that image. That image is absolutely useless. I explained it once here and twice in the AAMML thread already. The company and person who put that up even mentioned in his full report that the data isn't really useful for most people. This is because the application style, process, and drives they used were highly specific.

I got the i5 for $99 :wink: I got Staples to pricematch a Fry's ad.

Depends on what you currently have for audio gear.

But I personally would do SSD

I've had 4 seagates and 1 wd die on me. For your own sake, I hope that you're right. Backup just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back