PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jan 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #4,126 of 9,120
  So...sooo....beautiful

I played the first level again on max settings

So beautiful. Especially all those particles, local reflections, occlusion mapping etc

Oh wow!  Must be a treat haha
You really have tempted me to get a new GPU :xf_mad:, not cool man

My other friend has an Alienware Aurora R3, and he's been getting frequent crashes with 2 short beeps. Anyone know of this? Some say it's a RAM prob, but I'm not sure.

Probably temperature.  The OS crashes right?
If the system is freezing and only the cursor moves eventually followed by two beeps, its usually temperature.

Try this:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
(Get precompiled bootable iso in zip format)

and burn the archived iso using imgburn, goldenhawk clonecd, etc.

Just boot the burned disc and run using whatever preconfigured deep/extended/etc analysis that is made available to you.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,127 of 9,120
  Oh wow!  Must be a treat haha
You really have tempted me to get a new GPU :xf_mad:, not cool man

Probably temperature.  The OS crashes right?
If the system is freezing and only the cursor moves eventually followed by two beeps, its usually temperature.

Try this:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
(Get precompiled bootable iso in zip format)

and burn the archived iso using imgburn, goldenhawk clonecd, etc.

Just boot the burned disc and run using whatever preconfigured deep/extended/etc analysis that is made available to you.

What card do you have?

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #4,128 of 9,120
  What card do you have?

Powercolor 6850 haha
Voltage locked, but I think the quality of the board is really good.  Its my only component I have not upgraded.  At the same time, the games I actually play are very easy to run.

I feel as if its a waste for me personally to get a new GPU, because I only get the games to look at their visuals.  Maybe Crysis 3 is different, but Crysis 1 and 2 did not have exactly the best storyline/plot/gameplay/etc.  The AI in Crysis 2 was so poor >.<.  I actually thought Duke Nukem Forever had more enjoyable gameplay haha

Crysis 3 is so beautiful...  I would hate to play on low-medium (1440p)

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #4,129 of 9,120
  Powercolor 6850 haha
Voltage locked, but I think the quality of the board is really good.  Its my only component I have not upgraded.  At the same time, the games I actually play are very easy to run.

I feel as if its a waste for me personally to get a new GPU, because I only get the games to look at their visuals.  Maybe Crysis 3 is different, but Crysis 1 and 2 did not have exactly the best storyline/plot/gameplay/etc.  The AI in Crysis 2 was so poor >.<.  I actually thought Duke Nukem Forever had more enjoyable gameplay haha

Crysis 3 is so beautiful...  I would hate to play on low-medium (1440p)

Crysis, and any modern game is 'nice looking' on low and medium. You can tell that it looks nice because it is. However, ultra settings is when you can stop and stare at a scene for 5 minutes becuase of just how gorgeous it is. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #4,130 of 9,120
  Crysis, and any modern game is 'nice looking' on low and medium. You can tell that it looks nice because it is. However, ultra settings is when you can stop and stare at a scene for 5 minutes becuase of just how gorgeous it is. 

That's the only reason that I lust for a new GPU.  That and fan noise haha
Not sure if I am willing to invest in an expensive GPU yet though.

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #4,131 of 9,120
  That's the only reason that I lust for a new GPU.  That and fan noise haha
Not sure if I am willing to invest in an expensive GPU yet though.

My 7870's are loud as **** on max. Becuase they are closed reference design 

They aren't loud generally if its auto fan control, but sometimes for the lol, I set both fans to 100%

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #4,132 of 9,120
Bowei please don't use fxaa... I seriously can't stand all the blurries and stuff, I need to upgrade my gtx480 so I can actually push my new Dell u2412m, and well install windows as Linux has no graphically great games. :/

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4,133 of 9,120
Speaking of which my mobo died so I want get that Asus mini it with the little power card thing as its the only mitx that supports over clocking, then when I upgrade to 1150 or something whatever I decide on I can get a mini itx case and use the old mobo and processor for a htpc, the downside is that a mitx will look weird in my fractal r4 until I can get a pretty big rebuild for my comp

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #4,134 of 9,120
Bowei please don't use fxaa... I seriously can't stand all the blurries and stuff, I need to upgrade my gtx480 so I can actually push my new Dell u2412m, and well install windows as Linux has no graphically great games. :/

FXAA? It's one of the 'best' anti aliasing methods. Not the best one in terms of how well it performs but one of the best in that it aliases without taking much performance hit.

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #4,135 of 9,120
FXAA? It's one of the 'best' anti aliasing methods. Not the best one in terms of how well it performs but one of the best in that it aliases without taking much performance hit.
all it really does as add a blur over the screen as an overlay so yeah it removes jaggies but also any sharp edges... That's why it's so easy to run, adds an overlay instead of any complicated algorothms

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #4,136 of 9,120
all it really does as add a blur over the screen as an overlay so yeah it removes jaggies but also any sharp edges... That's why it's so easy to run, adds an overlay instead of any complicated algorothms

It doesn't blur over the screen as an overlay, and yes, it does produce a slight 'blurring' effect.FXAA uses a very quick algo to blur lines and other jagged edges. However the blurring isn't literally a blur. People just call it a blur as that is what it looks like to human eyes. 

I have reviewed all the methods of AA in the last month. 

Yes, I can run MSAA on my rig, nothing that terrible to do if I drop some other settings. I literally don't care for or to do that though. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #4,137 of 9,120
It's better than MLAA. Talk about blurring... it was great with GTAIV, there was a time when IV had no options for AA at all. FXAA doesn't ruin the text, so I think it's a little more complicated than just a blur over everything(as MLAA is.)

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #4,140 of 9,120
Crysis 3 + 4K + Max settings... Just imagine.

You don't have to imagine. We are already well beyond that. At CES Nvidia had a 12K setup, three 4K monitors in Nvidia Surround mode, running off of four Titans in SLI. 

Check it out: http://www.maximumpc.com/ces_2014_gaming_12k_nvidia_video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back