PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jun 26, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #8,206 of 9,120

Max settings including hairworks in Witcher 3, but I increased the GPU's temp limit before it throttles from 80c to 95c.

This makes me really covet those industrial PPC 3000rpm fans by Noctua.. But if I don't want to replace every single fan of mine with those as they are really expensive, which fans do you think I should change? 2x120mm front intake or 2x140mm top radiator exhaust?

Hmm, I'd just turn down some settings and change that limit back to stock (unless you don't mind the GPUs burning out). The limit is generally there to preserve the life of the GPUs, and I don't think anyone recommends turning it up unless you plan on OCing or doing something insane.

According to Nocuta's site, the PPC 3000 is a pressure oriented fan, so it might be better for the rad. But at the same time, they are quite loud, 44 dB, I already consider 30 dB rather loud, 44 dB is pretty high up there. Not entirely sure I can recommend them at all.

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #8,207 of 9,120
  Hmm, I'd just turn down some settings and change that limit back to stock (unless you don't mind the GPUs burning out). The limit is generally there to preserve the life of the GPUs, and I don't think anyone recommends turning it up unless you plan on OCing or doing something insane.

According to Nocuta's site, the PPC 3000 is a pressure oriented fan, so it might be better for the rad. But at the same time, they are quite loud, 44 dB, I already consider 30 dB rather loud, 44 dB is pretty high up there. Not entirely sure I can recommend them at all.

My NZXT fans are 37dB loud already, so I don't see the extra 7dB, albeit quite huge, to be much of a problem. Sure, they are not ideal as all of my headphones are open-backed, but I guess that's the price of performance.

What does it mean by 'pressure oriented fan' though?

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #8,208 of 9,120

What does it mean by 'pressure oriented fan' though?

There are two types of fans, pressure and CFM oriented. For pressure, it's meant to push air through tight spaces, so the spaces between a rad's fins, spaces between hard drives, or in tight spaces. For CFM, it's meant to get the largest volume of air possible through it in the smallest amount of time.

Pressure fans are usually used in radiators, air cooled CPU and GPU coolers and in extremely tightly packed rigs like servers, m-itx and other random builds as intakes. CFM fans are meant to move air, so they are usually used as exhaust fans or as intakes in places where nothing is in front of it.

If you are fine with the noise, go ahead and get them. They'll probably do what you want them to do.

Jun 27, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #8,209 of 9,120
Have just changed the thermal paste on both of my GPUs with Gelid GC-Extreme, only managed to reduce the temps by 2c in FurMark (81c to 79c).

Anyway, on a scale of bad to worst what would you guys rate my cable management?

I've tried tidying things up a bit, but with these big bulky EVGA cables inside the relatively small Corsair 500R casing neat cable management does not seem to be possible.. I honestly have no idea how people managed to make a system with impeccable cable management.

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8,210 of 9,120
Have just changed the thermal paste on both of my GPUs with Gelid GC-Extreme, only managed to reduce the temps by 2c in FurMark (81c to 79c).

Anyway, on a scale of bad to worst what would you guys rate my cable management?

I've tried tidying things up a bit, but with these big bulky EVGA cables inside the relatively small Corsair 500R casing neat cable management does not seem to be possible.. I honestly have no idea how people managed to make a system with impeccable cable management.

Eh... 5. There are a ton of hard drives, so it would be difficult. Try and use the other side of the case too. That CPU cable looks really out of place.

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #8,211 of 9,120
Actually I only have 2 internal hard drives, but the CPU cable is not long enough for me to redirect it through the back of the case, which is why it looks out of place.

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #8,213 of 9,120

Pretty meh. Lol. Not sure what exactly is put into the case though, so I can't judge. Being one with WAY TOO MANY HDDs in his case, wiring is just a pain in the ass. I just feel like there are too many cables that are overlapping and crossing over each other. Seems like you added some cables after building it, and really took out every single cable and restarted.

With the CPU cable, you can route it under your GPUs near the rear end of the case, it's a sneaky place to put it when you don't have cable management space or long cables.

That's my main rig, which has an ungodly number of HDDs. Since that photo I've removed the second GPU, so it's "better" now.

Another rig, I like this one a lot more, but non-modular PSU is a pita.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #8,214 of 9,120
After some perseverance, I finally managed to improve the cable management of my PC 
biggrin.gif

Removed one of the hard drive bay, managed to reduce GPU temps by 2 centigrade in FurMark. I guess that's the effect of direct airflow path towards the GPUs..

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #8,217 of 9,120
  Y'all cheaters, y'all got actual cable management space. (None of my cases have real space. Some of them are just crammed back there. :p)

Much nicer though.

Not to mention modular cables too.

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #8,218 of 9,120
  Not to mention modular cables too.

I fail to see the point of 'fully modular PSU' though, it's not like anyone going to buy a PSU and not use the 12-pin motherboard cable...

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #8,219 of 9,120
I fail to see the point of 'fully modular PSU' though, it's not like anyone going to buy a PSU and not use the 12-pin motherboard cable...
some cases have multiple PSU spots so you can seriously have a separate PSU for GPUs or audio cards, etc...
[Rule]
Edit: also, some people may buy pre sleeved modular cables and then they can just get a new 12 pin one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back