PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #6,226 of 9,120
Everytime I walk into my uncle's house, "Halp me wit (fill in random piece of tech here)"

Not surprising. 

Has anyone actually sat down and wondered what it really is that Microsoft does?

The amount of employees it had relative to what it produces?......It was preposterous. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #6,227 of 9,120
So our super great frontier internet just went out randomly. Y dey do dis? I've still got my less than 3G connection on my phone :3

EDIT: Huehuehue 2 seconds afterposting this on my phone, I try refreshing chrome and internet decides to work again on desktop/family's tablet. GG Frontier! Only down for 10 minutes, could be a lot worse.

EDIT 2: spoke too soon! Down again.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #6,228 of 9,120
One trick to relatives always asking for help is to never work on their computer at their house. Tell them you have to take their computer away to work on it. Once you have their computer, don't give it back for at least 2 weeks - even if it is a 5 minute job. You will be amazed at how that cuts down on the number of times they call you...

If you want to be a little nicer, then install VNC on their machine and open a port through their firewall so you can get into their machine remotely. At least then you aren't burning your gas money every time Uncle Lou can't find his desktop shortcut to Farmville.

Or, if you want to eliminate 95% of all relative service calls, install vmware on their machine, and lock the VM down so that no data or changes can be written to the VM. Every time they boot the machine, it loads the locked-down VM image fresh from the drive. So, if they screw-up and install a bunch of stupid toolbars and add-ins, they are all gone the next time they boot-up. I actually know a guy that did this to the computers used by his kids and wife. A very nice guy and an excellent network engineer - but he had some "control" issues... :p

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #6,229 of 9,120
Depressing ass LoL game. Just started a smurf account, level 1. Went into inter bots to level up so I could PvP.

My team fed and ragequit at 15 mins and score ended up 1:21 (only kill was my Lux top, because everyone else QQed that 2v1 top was too hard, even if I played support with them...can't save people who tower dive constantly without a minion wave.)

Le Sigh.

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #6,230 of 9,120
Depressing ass LoL game. Just started a smurf account, level 1. Went into inter bots to level up so I could PvP.

My team fed and ragequit at 15 mins and score ended up 1:21 (only kill was my Lux top, because everyone else QQed that 2v1 top was too hard, even if I played support with them...can't save people who tower dive constantly without a minion wave.)

Le Sigh.

Haha :laughing: Which server do you play on?

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #6,233 of 9,120
Everytime I walk into my uncle's house, "Halp me wit (fill in random piece of tech here)"

Not surprising. 

Has anyone actually sat down and wondered what it really is that Microsoft does?

The amount of employees it had relative to what it produces?......It was preposterous. 

I think the official stats are that half the layoffs were Nokia, a good deal of the remaining were redundancies after making the OneWindows concept, and then a bunch of movements because Satya's trying to change how the company works.

Microsoft actually has a lot more going on in the background than people actually give credit for and that people can't talk about and Microsoft isn't good at talking about.

I actually talked to one of the anonymous writers on MSDN in Redmond in a shuttle, he was really cool.

(note: I'm interning there)

I'm still the tech guy but since I'm across the country I've been asked less frequently now XD i love explaining the things because it solidifies my understanding, but sometimes it is frustrating solving the same problems (dad and viruses -_- ....) I'm more a fan though of trying to get them to learn about why what they did was wrong and what broke and why

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #6,234 of 9,120
(Cautiously whispers) Smite anybody...?

It looks nice, but I don't really want to play more than one moba at a time. I can't really play more than one game of each genre concurrently.

Top lane Lux. I don't even know man. Low level EUW seems way dumber than low level NA. There's no way I should be able to top lane on Lux.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #6,236 of 9,120
I was half expecting a "nerrrr, LoL mastr raceeeeee" response from someone, heheh.

Nerrrr, DOTA 2 mastr raceeeeee

You're welcome. 
wink.gif

But no, I haven't played DOTA 2 yet, but I watched The International. Kinda sad how it was just Chinese vs. Chinese in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back