PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Mar 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #5,011 of 9,120
  So a family member ordered some cheapo 32gb flash drive for $12 on ebay.  It was advertised as 32gb and shows up in windows as a 32gb partition but I copied a 4gb file to it and then attempt to copy an 8 gb file and it says "file is too large for destination file system"  Is china REALLY doing this?

Yes, yes

That is a known scam in Asia

Don't buy storage off ebay....seriously

Use ebay buyer protection to get money back

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #5,012 of 9,120
  Yes, yes

That is a known scam in Asia

Don't buy storage off ebay....seriously

Use ebay buyer protection to get money back

I didn't buy it... I would have just got some cheap sandisk PoS from a walk in store.  I never buy cheap crap from no name china sellers because crap like this happens.  So I formatted the drive and created a new partition it still says 32gb..... How'd they manage that? lol

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #5,013 of 9,120
  I didn't buy it... I would have just got some cheap sandisk PoS from a walk in store.  I never buy cheap crap from no name china sellers because crap like this happens.  So I formatted the drive and created a new partition it still says 32gb..... How'd they manage that? lol

I forgot how they do it, but yeah, that there is the scam :/ 

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #5,014 of 9,120
  So a family member ordered some cheapo 32gb flash drive for $12 on ebay.  It was advertised as 32gb and shows up in windows as a 32gb partition but I copied a 4gb file to it and then attempt to copy an 8 gb file and it says "file is too large for destination file system"  Is china REALLY doing this?

File is too large for destination file system?  Are you copying to a FAT32 partition?
You cannot a file that large onto a FAT32 file system!

If you are still in doubt, run this on the flash drive:  https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Format and make sure to resize or whatever
tongue.gif
  You will have the real capacity

I have purchased several 32GB flash drives for $10-$12 on eBay.  They are not very reliable, but they all had the advertised capacity.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #5,016 of 9,120
lol yes I made the partition fat32.... We'll see.  32gb is supposed to be the max for fat32 I thought?

edit: Every time I try to format it to NTFS it says the format didn't complete successfully. I tried to format to exFAT and now it's copying a 7.56gb file.  

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #5,018 of 9,120
  Try exfat

Don't use FAT32.

Try anything but FAT32

Yep it's copying with exfat right now.  I only used fat32 because I know that the br player supports it and that's its only use.  Hopefully it supports that format too, thanks.  You learn something new everyday.

I wonder if the read speed will be fast enough to play 1080p files off of... That's what they bought it for oh man.  The ebay page says it's 12mb/s read and sub 5mb/s write, right now it's copying at 5.19mb/s so not all hope is lost.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #5,019 of 9,120
  Yep it's copying with exfat right now.  I only used fat32 because I know that the br player supports it and that's its only use.  Hopefully it supports that format too, thanks.  You learn something new everyday.

Fat32 is a legacy format still used because its tried and true for almost everything

Has many limits on it though

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #5,021 of 9,120
You most likely have a fake. Plenty of fake Sandisk's floating on ebay. They usually die on first use or within a few weeks. There are programs out there that can identify the flash used and the actual rated capacity. Yes it's a scam that's been going on for over a decade now since the dawn of USB flash drives on ebay. Usual problems are failed to copy file over 1, 2, 4GB for a 8GB+ usb flash drive/memory card, then the card dies and cannot be detected anymore. Sometimes you get manufacture reject units that don't pass QC requisites from the manufacturer discard the batch. Sellers on fleabay sometimes sell it and the card usually dies within a few days of degraded copy/read performance, I knew one bloke here that had close relations to the plants overseas and was 15000+ factory rejects till he got arrested. Warned him too, he had it coming.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #5,022 of 9,120
Quote:
  BR player doesn't support exFAT.  So now I have a handy little unreliable 32gb storage device : )

Have you considered a compromise?  Split your video and copy the files onto a FAT32 FS :)
That or you could compress the video, but my gut tells me you want high bitrate.  If your video is ~1h:30m long you should be OK.  Might choke a couple of times :wink:

You should try the software I linked above, as it is better than the Windows utility.
What other filesystems does your player support?  I know a number of Oppo players support ext3

You most likely have a fake. Plenty of fake Sandisk's floating on ebay. They usually die on first use or within a few weeks. There are programs out there that can identify the flash used and the actual rated capacity. Yes it's a scam that's been going on for over a decade now since the dawn of USB flash drives on ebay. Usual problems are failed to copy file over 1, 2, 4GB for a 8GB+ usb flash drive/memory card, then the card dies and cannot be detected anymore. Sometimes you get manufacture reject units that don't pass QC requisites from the manufacturer discard the batch. Sellers on fleabay sometimes sell it and the card usually dies within a few days of degraded copy/read performance, I knew one bloke here that had close relations to the plants overseas and was 15000+ factory rejects till he got arrested. Warned him too, he had it coming.

I think his FS was the problem.
That's not to say they are reliable.  I buy plenty of 'binned' sandisk/etc dongles on eBay.  Typically I find them just as reliable as the Microcenter brand dongles.  Would not use them as a primary backup source is what I mean :wink:

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #5,023 of 9,120
  Quote:
Have you considered a compromise?  Split your video and copy the files onto a FAT32 FS :)
That or you could compress the video, but my gut tells me you want high bitrate.  If your video is ~1h:30m long you should be OK.  Might choke a couple of times :wink:

You should try the software I linked above, as it is better than the Windows utility.
What other filesystems does your player support?  I know a number of Oppo players support ext3

Yeah I looked at other forums and people have recommended splitting movies into >4gb files but I'm way too lazy to do that and my family that bought this thing to watch movies on through the sharp br player (which only supports fat32) wouldn't be smart enough/they would be annoyed as hell needing to click a different file in the middle of a movie or 3 times per film.  I honestly just want to buy a cheapo super old GPU and use that for HDMI out to the tv.  Ugh then they would have to deal with switching display settings through windows and that'll be a pita for them too.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #5,024 of 9,120
  Yeah I looked at other forums and people have recommended splitting movies into >4gb files but I'm way too lazy to do that and my family that bought this thing to watch movies on through the sharp br player (which only supports fat32) wouldn't be smart enough/they would be annoyed as hell needing to click a different file in the middle of a movie or 3 times per film.  I honestly just want to buy a cheapo super old GPU and use that for HDMI out to the tv.  Ugh then they would have to deal with switching display settings through windows and that'll be a pita for them too.

*Your blu-ray player might have automatic playlists, as to play all videos back to back in the same directory alphabetically. Might want to consider that as well.

Or you could try getting a Nvidia GPU like the 9500GT (~$15-$30), and install a XBMC based linux distribution!  http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMCbuntu
Also, would be wise to invest in a Remote + eHome Receiver, they go around for $20.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-USB-Microsoft-MCE-Media-Center-IR-Remote-Control-RC6-Kit-Certified-/221270374012?pt=US_Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item3384bdf67c

Can program the receiver to work with any remote, and XBMCbuntu is really flexible.  The 9500GT works really well in Linux under the older drivers, and provides a fluid experience!  Much better than the 5450/6450 AMD cards that sell for roughly the same price new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back