PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Feb 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #4,907 of 9,120
Feb 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #4,908 of 9,120

lol
Why did mining get so popular all of a sudden?  In 2010 I was telling my friend that bitcoins is a ****-ing dumb idea, and now sub $500 MSRP cards have hiked to $8000??

Guess I am never getting a R9 290x :frowning2:

Lol

That isn't a real hike btw. Price error

Rant time

My new RAM for my Mac (returned the other ones) just got here.

......Crucial.....sucks at their RAM packaging. Not that its bad, but that it is so safe that it is unsafe.

The package itself puts RAM into these plastin bins that required you to 'pop' and bend the ram out like medicine.

You can see me pointing to it in the picture.

I had to use a screw driver to 'push' those security tabs in a bit so that I didn't have to exert a ton of force in popping them out

The plastic is pretty hard and doesn't twist easilly

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #4,909 of 9,120
  Lol

That isn't a real hike btw. Price error

Rant time

My new RAM for my Mac (returned the other ones) just got here.

......Crucial.....sucks at their RAM packaging. Not that its bad, but that it is so safe that it is unsafe.

The package itself puts RAM into these plastin bins that required you to 'pop' and bend the ram out like medicine.

You can see me pointing to it in the picture.

I had to use a screw driver to 'push' those security tabs in a bit so that I didn't have to exert a ton of force in popping them out

The plastic is pretty hard and doesn't twist easilly

That's how Crucial gets ya :wink:
They say you have warranty, but by removing the RAM out of the packaging, there's a good chance you have handled the product in a way that voids the their warranty *not being serious here*

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #4,910 of 9,120
Or

Noctua NH-D14

Love my Noctua case fans <3 

any one have a Case they REALLY love, a ATX Full case

and by love i mean one that's got some great Air flow, I could care less about clear side panels or giant 200m glowing fans, in fact I'd like to never have another LED fan in my life If I could
I saw a bunch of benches and it seen to be quieter and performs better than the Noctua.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #4,911 of 9,120
I've had a lot of Crucial memory over the years. Always seemed to work for me, but I prefer Patriot and Corsair for overclocking :)

At least you could actually remove the memory Panda, some of those come in that vaccuume sealed stuff that needs a chainsaw to open.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4,912 of 9,120
I've had a lot of Crucial memory over the years. Always seemed to work for me, but I prefer Patriot and Corsair for overclocking
smily_headphones1.gif

At least you could actually remove the memory Panda, some of those come in that vaccuume sealed stuff that needs a chainsaw to open.

I never do any 'strong' OC of my RAM and so I haven't looked into it. Especially considering the stuff I do. It's practically useless for me.

Yeah I know. some have those uber plastic sealed things that need a huge scissor to cut.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4,913 of 9,120
I saw a bunch of benches and it seen to be quieter and performs better than the Noctua.

Depends on where you're looking the D14 is the best air cooler on the market and better then all AIO coolers until you buy the Swiftech H220 which is a AIO looped cooler. The only disadvantage of the D14 is you can't use high profile heatsinked RAM.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #4,914 of 9,120
Depends on where you're looking the D14 is the best air cooler on the market and better then all AIO coolers until you buy the Swiftech H220 which is a AIO looped cooler. The only disadvantage of the D14 is you can't use high profile heatsinked RAM.
Oh my bad, I misread that. The D14 is that massive BAMF of a double sink, right?

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #4,915 of 9,120
Now that my MBP is 100% operational, its time to swap the CD drive I had in it for the HDD w/caddy 

This means that I'm benching my Sammy EVO 840 120GB on my desky right now.

CAUSE I FEEEEL.

430MB Write and 424 Read from 64kB to 8192kB (transfer size) with total file size at 256MB

My MBP limits these sadly :frowning2:

And no, its not AHCI, its my MBP. My Mobo is currently set to only give two drives AHCI mode. My SSD and another HDD (my motherboards options to set this stuff require you to put your drives in a specific SATA slot etc to get stuff enabled etc). The Sammy SSD is plugged into the SATA plug that typically plugs into my CD ROM. Of which I specifically set to only use IDE mode due to the fact that if you didn't, you would get crashes with it (what I read everywhere online). 

My Seagate 600 240GB is still faster than the Sammy though :D But of course, its not fair comparing my 2xx GB to a 12x GB. 

Something weird happened at 4096 but that never happened before, and everything else is pretty consistent so its an isolated one.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #4,917 of 9,120
  Indeed it is

Here is a pic of my old hexacore i7 980x rig I posted on [H] back in 2012.

You had a 980? Dayum, money bags

Is that 3 Nvidia GPU's in SLI I see?

More sad now that I see the results of my SSD with a file size of 1MB....dayum, my MBP would literally sing if I had SATA 3 in there. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #4,918 of 9,120
My old HDD is in there now.

It is only 250GB, but that is what my old drive is, and who cares. I don't have any other 2.5" drives and I won't be buying one. All the stuff is stored on my Windows PC anyway.

I formated that 250GB into two partitions. 

Partition 1: Panda HDD 
Format: exFAT
Size: 180GB
Master Boot Record

Partition 2: Panda Time
Format: Mac OS Journaled (HFS)
Size:70GB
Master Boot Record

I did this so that I can use Partition 1 with both my Mac and Windows (Bootcamp) installations. exFat being superior to FAT32 of course, and especially if you are using it as a dual OS format as it is natively supported with full access without any additional software or code (and no limit on file sizes or performance).

MBR had to be set so that Windows won't have problems recognizing it. Windows already doesn't have too big of a problem with GUID partition schemes, but there are some instances of issues with Windows recognizing drives using GUID. All while Mac plays ball with both GUID and MBR. MBR it is, I won't need those drives to be bootable from my Mac anyway. If I do, I can just change them easilly with diskutility if I need to perform CPR on my Mac again.

Partition 2 is for TimeMachine backups. Time Machine - for those unfamiliar with it - is Apple's complete system backup service. There are no options for it whatsoever besides excluding a folder, turning it on, and if it should be allowed to backup on battery power. That means you either need to use a terminal code to limit it's size(it only deletes oldest backups when the disk is near full). The only other way - and one that most use- is to just partition the damn things. That's what I did.

So far, so good.  Everything is spicy and awesome now :D

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #4,919 of 9,120
Thanks for the pics, are you tired of messing with it now? Every time I do a project like that my eyes start to glaze over after the 50th re-boot.

That picture reminds me of when I took apart my HP laptop when the cpu fan died. I only had like 6 extra screws when I put it back together!

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #4,920 of 9,120

Maybe so but... a lot of new egg users have mixed reviews where as 

The D14 seems to get better rating and I really like Notcua 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back