PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Nov 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #136 of 9,120
Quote:
Yeah same. But the thing is, I can wait. My next rig is comming in 2013. As long as I can run on high at 1080p with most games or medium with the very hard ones. I am set. BF3 plays on high and so does the mass majority (except for Crysis 2).

But why get extra muscle now when most games still run in high when you can get a better card for that next gen build? 

We are in the PC Enthusiast Fi section. And thus form that psychographic I can understand what you mean. Getting as much performance as you can with some reasoning. But as a person that also looks at other things. I would rather say to wait and fully upgrade the next time you do. The 57xx series were heavily popular when they came out. They were the first DX11 series (5xxx that is) cards released and the 57xx appealed to the majority of people's wallets. 

I said the same thing to myself last year though!

Oh well, you're right. My current card does run everything pretty well and it probably would be more cost effective to build everything from the ground up next year. The 7xxx cards will definitely be a lot cheaper then. Thanks for the advice. You've successfully foiled my spending compulsion!

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #137 of 9,120
http://slickdeals.net/f/5546694-329-99-AR-GIGABYTE-GTX-670-2GB-PCI-Express-3-0-Video-Card-Borderlands-2-Assassins-Creed-3-Games

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #138 of 9,120
You all and your enthusiast/gaming computers....  ;D  Some of those are nice.

I am rocking out a stock Toshiba c655d laptop with a 2.2 ghz dual core Athlon P340 and Radeon Mobility HD 4250, 4GB Ram.  This is connected to a 25 inch 1080p external monitor.

I am not a hardcore gamer so this does everything I could want it to.  However I wouldn't be a geek if I didn't feel hardware lust.  Specifically, I have a thing for server hardware. If I had the money I would be tempted to build myself a 2u system and mount it under my desk.  My dream pc would use the following parts. :D

Tyan Qaud G34 E-ATX Motherboard 
Opteron 6282 2.6Ghz 16 Core CPU  (Four of these)
Kingston 16GB DDR3 Ram (32 of these)
Redundant Power Supply
A PNY Quadro4000 Video Card
A Hardware Raid 5 system using (5) 1 Terabyte SATA drives in hot swap cages with seperate drive lights
All connected via dual Gigabit Ethernet to my router and Cable Modem :D

For the lazy....  2.6ghz, 64 cpu cores over 4 CPU's, 512 GB ram, 5TB storage, and a Professional graphics with 2 GB memory and 256 GPU cores! 

It could host an entire LAN Party on virtual machines!  Any old computer could work as a thin client with that much server.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #139 of 9,120
Quote:
I said the same thing to myself last year though!

Oh well, you're right. My current card does run everything pretty well and it probably would be more cost effective to build everything from the ground up next year. The 7xxx cards will definitely be a lot cheaper then. Thanks for the advice. You've successfully foiled my spending compulsion!

I wasn't trying to foil, as much as I was trying to be your inner voice. Remember, if you want to upgrade to be the kind of guy that likes near flawless performance. Then do it. But I am just offering some pro's for the other side.
Quote:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5546694-329-99-AR-GIGABYTE-GTX-670-2GB-PCI-Express-3-0-Video-Card-Borderlands-2-Assassins-Creed-3-Games

Thanks, the bundled games shows that Nvidia is kicking up their bundle fight as well :) I don't have the cash sadly.
Quote:
You all and your enthusiast/gaming computers....  ;D  Some of those are nice.

I am rocking out a stock Toshiba c655d laptop with a 2.2 ghz dual core Athlon P340 and Radeon Mobility HD 4250, 4GB Ram.  This is connected to a 25 inch 1080p external monitor.

I am not a hardcore gamer so this does everything I could want it to.  However I wouldn't be a geek if I didn't feel hardware lust.  Specifically, I have a thing for server hardware. If I had the money I would be tempted to build myself a 2u system and mount it under my desk.  My dream pc would use the following parts. :D

Tyan Qaud G34 E-ATX Motherboard 
Opteron 6282 2.6Ghz 16 Core CPU  (Four of these)
Kingston 16GB DDR3 Ram (32 of these)
Redundant Power Supply
A PNY Quadro4000 Video Card
A Hardware Raid 5 system using (5) 1 Terabyte SATA drives in hot swap cages with seperate drive lights
All connected via dual Gigabit Ethernet to my router and Cable Modem :D

For the lazy....  2.6ghz, 64 cpu cores over 4 CPU's, 512 GB ram, 5TB storage, and a Professional graphics with 2 GB memory and 256 GPU cores! 

It could host an entire LAN Party on virtual machines!  Any old computer could work as a thin client with that much server.

I'm not too sure how well that would game. Hell it may game very badly if the motherboard and or CPU's just can't do the operations correctly or as well as was designed.

Oh wait nevermind. Those parts are for CAD and workstation type of things. 

Nevermind, that is quite a nice server.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/21/mirrors-edge-2-is-in-production-at-dice

The title is VERY sensationalist but does bring back info. Basically ME2 was confirmed for a second game in 2009 and since then has been "in production". The article basically just states that a member of DICE in a recent interview referred to ME2 as being in production meaning that it hasn't been dropped and that it is still on the table.

Far Cry 3 pre review
http://www.incgamers.com/2012/11/far-cry-3-review-tropic-cancer/

Looks nice. I'll wait for PC.IGN and PCGamer and what not and wait for their reviews. They aren't perfect but whatever.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #140 of 9,120
I wasn't trying to foil, as much as I was trying to be your inner voice. Remember, if you want to upgrade to be the kind of guy that likes near flawless performance. Then do it. But I am just offering some pro's for the other side.

Yeah, I'm not a performance queen when it comes to computer hardware really. It's all about bang-for-buck at the end of the day. Because however nice and shiny and high performance the card you get is, it'll be superseded by a shinier and beefier card within a year or two.

Audio equipment, on the other hand, is something I'm willing to shell out a little extra for because it holds it's value in terms of (resale) price and performance, even as the years go by.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #141 of 9,120
I saw the Far Cry 3 videos and the system requirements. I'm royally purpled.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #142 of 9,120
Quote:
I saw the Far Cry 3 videos and the system requirements. I'm royally purpled.

Mad or happy

Arctic enviroment wouldn't work well for a game in my opinion........there...is literally nothing. Little exploration and what not. 

I have taken Enviromental classes so I am not just talking about the consumer idea of an arctic area like Alaska but all of them. And honeslty, they all wouldn't work well for a game.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #143 of 9,120
Mad, I'm the one with the cruddy PC that can't even handle Witcher, 'member? I'm surprised FC3 has had such great reception... although IIRC, the same happened to FC2. FC2 was terrible to play.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #144 of 9,120
Quote:
Mad, I'm the one with the cruddy PC that can't even handle Witcher, 'member? I'm surprised FC3 has had such great reception... although IIRC, the same happened to FC2. FC2 was terrible to play.

I didn't like FC2. I haven't played FC1 but FC1got rave reviews and also it was by Crytek. I dind't read much before getting it and lets just say, I quit the game and then found out it wasn't by them. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #145 of 9,120
Quote:
Mad or happy

Arctic enviroment wouldn't work well for a game in my opinion........there...is literally nothing. Little exploration and what not. 

I have taken Enviromental classes so I am not just talking about the consumer idea of an arctic area like Alaska but all of them. And honeslty, they all wouldn't work well for a game.

That's a silly argument. A developer could do all sorts of things to make arctic areas more interesting than real life. That's the idea behind games.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #147 of 9,120
I think a really neat place would be a frozen oil refinery or something.

I freaking live for snowy places in games!

Also, in other news: I got Assassin's Creed 3 to run! For whatever reason the beta Nvidia drivers make performance much, much, much better. Framerate does dip really low at times, but that's in the heaviest areas, and it's not sustained. It'll hit like 21fps for like a second, then bounce up to 30. Sure beats a sustained 22FPS on low settings.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #148 of 9,120
Quote:
I think a really neat place would be a frozen oil refinery or something.

I freaking live for snowy places in games!

Also, in other news: I got Assassin's Creed 3 to run! For whatever reason the beta Nvidia drivers make performance much, much, much better. Framerate does dip really low at times, but that's in the heaviest areas, and it's not sustained. It'll hit like 21fps for like a second, then bounce up to 30. Sure beats a sustained 22FPS on low settings.

That is too small, it needs to be a bigger artic place.

YAY :) I'll begin playing soon as well

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #150 of 9,120
This is pretty interesting. This Benchmark 3D site did a tech analysis of Assassin's Creed 3, and found the CPU optimization to be really crappy.

AC3_CPU_Cores_Usage.jpg

Hopefully Ubisoft will release a patch. While it's playable on my computer now, it's definitely not up to what I feel my PC should be able to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back