Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Aug 7, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #286 of 701
It was OK a few days ago....yeah it sucks now hearing inferior music....ha ha ha!!

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #287 of 701
The two 4 pin XLR outputs in the Pathos are two independent stereo (balanced) outputs. Don't be misled by the left and right channel of your HP's 3-pin XLRs.
You need a dual 3-pin XLR to 4 pin XLR.
What about via the preamp output from the rear dual XLR-3 (that's how I drive the 1266 when using the TT2)? Could it be used the same way?

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #288 of 701
Well you could try... Don't know what gain/volume you could achieve on your 1266.

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #289 of 701
What about via the preamp output from the rear dual XLR-3 (that's how I drive the 1266 when using the TT2)? Could it be used the same way?

That is the preamp out. Just voltage, no power. Not suitable to drive phones. Worst case you overloaded with your phone and damage it. It want’s to see a load in the range of several KOhms, not a headphone.

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #290 of 701
That is the preamp out. Just voltage, no power. Not suitable to drive phones. Worst case you overloaded with your phone and damage it. It want’s to see a load in the range of several KOhms, not a headphone.
Thanks for educating me on this. I guess I'll just have to get a standard XLR-4 cable

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #291 of 701
From a YouTube Steve Guttenberg review of the Inpol Ear it also drives the Abyss 1266 TC very well too.
I can attest to that... the Pathos drives the 1266 very well.

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #292 of 701
With all this talk of the Susvaras...

I'm waiting for a replacement pair of HE-1000SE to arrive in the mail from Hifiman, as the left channel stopped working on my (well-used) last pair. And I think to myself, my setup is good enough for the Susvara, right? I could totally power a Susvara with the InPol. Could one start a GoFundMe for a pair of headphones? :) Asking for a friend, because I think my spouse would divorce me otherwise...

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #293 of 701
Hi, my Inpol ear amp arrived today and it looks gorgeous in red! I've posted a few photos. I'm very excited to finally have the chance to own the Pathos. It's really a beautiful piece of art. I cant wait to hear it.

I'm going to start using it with Amperex/Philips SQ miniwatt 6922 tubes. Any other tube recommendations are welcome!

I'm going to pair the Pathos with a Chord Dave + Mscaler, and use them with Audeze LCD 4 and ZMF Verite open HPs.

I read earlier in the thread that the Pathos can only handle 4.4VRMS input and the Dave outputs 6v in xlr/balanced mode. Does that mean I need to run the Dave only with Rca cables? Anyone else running the Pathos/Dave combination in xlr/balanced mode without problems?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210808_130754.jpg
    20210808_130754.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210808_130616.jpg
    20210808_130616.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210808_130653.jpg
    20210808_130653.jpg
  • 20210808_130627.jpg
    20210808_130627.jpg
Aug 9, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #294 of 701
Hi, my Inpol ear amp arrived today and it looks gorgeous in red! I've posted a few photos. I'm very excited to finally have the chance to own the Pathos. It's really a beautiful piece of art. I cant wait to hear it.

I'm going to start using it with Amperex/Philips SQ miniwatt 6922 tubes. Any other tube recommendations are welcome!

I'm going to pair the Pathos with a Chord Dave + Mscaler, and use them with Audeze LCD 4 and ZMF Verite open HPs.

I read earlier in the thread that the Pathos can only handle 4.4VRMS input and the Dave outputs 6v in xlr/balanced mode. Does that mean I need to run the Dave only with Rca cables? Anyone else running the Pathos/Dave combination in xlr/balanced mode without problems?

Thanks!
Pathos Inpol Ear is a very nice performing amp and made my Susvara's sound great.

I ran my loaned Inpol Ear with the Chord DAVE (with M Scaler) both with XLR and RCA inputs. Both were fine, with the XLR input giving a fuller sound with the Inpol Ear to my ears. Just make sure you don't have both connected at the same time from the DAVE as you may get sound distortion.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #295 of 701
Hi, so I started using the Pathos amp with the Verite and LCD4 headphones and I am really amazed at the quality of the music. My initial reaction is that the music sounds more relaxed and effortless, with a warm and musical signature, but not overly so. Definitely non-fatiguing. There are more micro details that are revealed and which I'm noticing. The imaging and instrument separation is very precise. Good soundstage as well which is helped by the imaging and instrument separation. I'm listening through a Chord Dave in balanced mode without any issues. I set the crossfeed on the Dave to 2. I've included a few photos of the Pathos in the system. I'm using an Amperx/Philips miniwatt SQ tube pair. Any recommendations for other tubes? Regards, everyone.

Attachments

• 20210809_114117.jpg
    20210809_114117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210809_114301.jpg
    20210809_114301.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #296 of 701
Hi, so I started using the Pathos amp with the Verite and LCD4 headphones and I am really amazed at the quality of the music. My initial reaction is that the music sounds more relaxed and effortless, with a warm and musical signature, but not overly so. Definitely non-fatiguing. There are more micro details that are revealed and which I'm noticing. The imaging and instrument separation is very precise. Good soundstage as well which is helped by the imaging and instrument separation. I'm listening through a Chord Dave in balanced mode without any issues. I set the crossfeed on the Dave to 2. I've included a few photos of the Pathos in the system. I'm using an Amperx/Philips miniwatt SQ tube pair. Any recommendations for other tubes? Regards, everyone.
Those Amerex Miniwatts are fabulous 6922's! Very warm and musically luscious sound. Great color choice for your Pathos.
Bravo!

For a more immediate and dynamic sound you could try some Siemens e188cc's or CCa's. I have both. The sound is quite musical, fast, and dynamic with very good layering. The soundstage is also quite large. You'll lose some of the warmth and musicality of the Miniwatts but gain in other areas. I use 75 Reflecktors which imo are superior to both of the Siemens I mentioned, but they also are harder to find.

Your Miniwatts are among the best of the 6922 family. They just happen to be on the warm side.

Welcome to the Pathos family! 👏👏👏

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #297 of 701
Having error on my Pathos (ERR).
After turning on it has this cycle P (and after a few seconds) -> 0 -> OFF -> ERR.
Then blocks.

Tried changing tubes, and still the same. Fuses seems ok.

Reached out Pathos and they are in vacation until 23. OH WELL....

Came back, placed all the cables, and its ALIVE!

Now to my music.....Let's see how it goes..

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #298 of 701
Came back, placed all the cables, and its ALIVE!

Now to my music.....Let's see how it goes..
I'm certainly glad that it is back in great working order. Congrats! Yet there are one or two things I'm not clearly getting. Do you mean you had the unit returned to Pathos for maintenance, and that they have sent it back to you after "replacing" all the cables? I am having some trouble figuring out the meaning of that expression ("placed all the cables"), so kindly explain what you mean if you don't mind. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #299 of 701
Sorry! English is my third language.
Went out for a week off. Before going, I unplugged all cables.
When coming back, I replugged the cables again, turned it on, and came back to life again.

Pathos did contact me if I want to send the unit to them for check up. But will wait and see.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #300 of 701
Finally found my happy place with the InPol Ear. I put on music and think “I’m just going to listen to this song,” but then 40 minutes goes by and I’ve listened to the whole album. So many details pop up in music that I haven’t heard or paid attention to before.

Got some Amplitrex E188CC 7308 tubes from Europe, and everything is smooth yet dynamic. The bass doesn’t hit as hard/go as deep with the HE-1000SE as I’d like with these tubes, but it’s what you’d call an appropriate amount of bass for the music. If only this amp had the X-Bass switch from the iFi products! :wink: The bass is perfect with the Diana V2, but I’ve relegated that headphone to backup duty, as the soundstage with the HE-1000SE/InPol combo is huge and that’s where I usually prefer to go with music.

Found a good balance in my source-to-amp chain with the Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC with the Cardas Clear Beyond XL power cable and the Lush^3 HDMI/I2S cable connected to the Euphony Audio Summus Endpoint with the Clear Beyond power cable, and the DAC connected to the InPol via a Clear Reflection XLR cable. In this setup, the Euphony Summus is connected to the Endpoint via ethernet. There is no USB connection necessary, just an isolated I2S port on the Endpoint conencted to the Terminator Plus. The sound is smooth and analogue-like with that combo.

If I want more excitement and intensity in the sound, I can swap the Denafrips Gaia back in for the Endpoint, but I see the USB connection from my Euphony Audio Summus Server to the Gaia DDC as the weak point in that chain, even with the Gaia and Terminator Plus doing reclocking duty. Ethernet has always been a better-sounding connection than USB in my experience.

Really loving the sound of my system right now. I feel like I’ve fully optimized my chain, though if I could afford a few more Beyond XL power cables, I’d spring for that. They are amazing cords.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back