Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Sep 17, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #301 of 694
Finally found my happy place with the InPol Ear. I put on music and think “I’m just going to listen to this song,” but then 40 minutes goes by and I’ve listened to the whole album. So many details pop up in music that I haven’t heard or paid attention to before.

Got some Amplitrex E188CC 7308 tubes from Europe, and everything is smooth yet dynamic. The bass doesn’t hit as hard/go as deep with the HE-1000SE as I’d like with these tubes, but it’s what you’d call an appropriate amount of bass for the music. If only this amp had the X-Bass switch from the iFi products! :wink: The bass is perfect with the Diana V2, but I’ve relegated that headphone to backup duty, as the soundstage with the HE-1000SE/InPol combo is huge and that’s where I usually prefer to go with music.

Found a good balance in my source-to-amp chain with the Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC with the Cardas Clear Beyond XL power cable and the Lush^3 HDMI/I2S cable connected to the Euphony Audio Summus Endpoint with the Clear Beyond power cable, and the DAC connected to the InPol via a Clear Reflection XLR cable. In this setup, the Euphony Summus is connected to the Endpoint via ethernet. There is no USB connection necessary, just an isolated I2S port on the Endpoint conencted to the Terminator Plus. The sound is smooth and analogue-like with that combo.

If I want more excitement and intensity in the sound, I can swap the Denafrips Gaia back in for the Endpoint, but I see the USB connection from my Euphony Audio Summus Server to the Gaia DDC as the weak point in that chain, even with the Gaia and Terminator Plus doing reclocking duty. Ethernet has always been a better-sounding connection than USB in my experience.

Really loving the sound of my system right now. I feel like I’ve fully optimized my chain, though if I could afford a few more Beyond XL power cables, I’d spring for that. They are amazing cords.
Did some switching around. Decided to ditch the heat-generating Keces P8 triple power supply and power all my sources with separate, much cooler-running iFi Power Elites and power cables. When upsampling to 705.8K on the Euphony Summus, the sound is just as indulgently rich, and clearer in tone. Listening to Morphine right now and being blown away by the live version of “Have a Lucky Day” on the 2018 “Yes” remastered digital album. Mark’s voice jumps out at me in the recording, very transparent miking at the live venue. The InPol Ear makes it sound so easy on the ear.

Also, the High Fidelity Cables accessories are great. Plugged an MC-1 Pro Helix + power conditioner directly into one of the outlets of my PS Audio P12 Power Plant, and the transparency and immediateness of the sound took a huge leap forward. Working on power conditioning has made a huge difference in getting rid of digital artifacts and increasing the depth of my system. I’m using a combination of passive and active power conditioning, with some iFi SupaNova cables powering my networking equipment.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #302 of 694
Good that you are enjoying your Inpol Ear. Power conditioning would surely be on my next list (looking at Puritan Labs - PSM156).

With many new products anouncements. I don't know what I will do next.... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #303 of 694
To my ears power conditioning is kind of a game changer. Depending on how dirty your power is the difference is noticeable. Even where I live where the power is pretty clean, the noise floor is reduced considerably which increases detail and micro-dynamics. Recommended.

As mentioned earlier in the thread I use 2×Puritan 156's. They power my 2 channel AND home theater system where I use a 5 channel BAT VK-6200 with absolutely no loss of soundstage or dynamics.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #304 of 694
I went a little crazy and purchased a Jay’s Audio CDT2-MK3 CD transport. I haven’t owned a CD player or transport in years, but I feel like I’d rather go that route than down the vinyl rabbit hole, as I already own hundreds of CDs. Looking forward to the combination of CD Transport/DAC/Pathos InPol Ear. It’ll be about a two-week wait to get it into the States, but from what I’ve read, it’ll be worth it.

Anyone else with an Inpol own a CD transport or player still?

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #305 of 694
I went a little crazy and purchased a Jay’s Audio CDT2-MK3 CD transport. I haven’t owned a CD player or transport in years, but I feel like I’d rather go that route than down the vinyl rabbit hole, as I already own hundreds of CDs. Looking forward to the combination of CD Transport/DAC/Pathos InPol Ear. It’ll be about a two-week wait to get it into the States, but from what I’ve read, it’ll be worth it.

Anyone else with an Inpol own a CD transport or player still?
I have my Oppo which I used to use as a player. Since I bought my Aurender though, I almost never spin CD's anymore. Better quality and much better selection of music.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #306 of 694
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at the Inpol Ear and, after having read the entire excellent thread of 21 pages here:), have some questions would love some advice on:

(1) my current source, the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge, runs a pretty hot at ~9v line out on its XLR. Given max input voltage of 4.4v on the Inpol, would I practically be limited to RCA out?

(2) I'm wondering how does the Inpol compare to other hybrids (e.g. trafomatic head 2? other?)

(3) I was planning to buy the Manely Absolute. The sales person at Upscale Audio was suggesting to me on the Inpol instead, which got me on this track. My main need is for flexibility across a wide variety of dynamic and plannar cans, with both high and low impedance, which the Manley seems uniquely designed for. I'm wondering if the Inpol's low impedance/high power makes it better suited for power hungry planars, and how would a high impedance dynamic can (e.g. my ZMF VC) would fair on it?

Any thoughts or advice on the Manley vs Inpol (reazling that they radically different options)?

thanks for your patient advice...

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #307 of 694
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at the Inpol Ear and, after having read the entire excellent thread of 21 pages here:), have some questions would love some advice on:

(1) my current source, the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge, runs a pretty hot at ~9v line out on its XLR. Given max input voltage of 4.4v on the Inpol, would I practically be limited to RCA out?

(2) I'm wondering how does the Inpol compare to other hybrids (e.g. trafomatic head 2? other?)

(3) I was planning to buy the Manely Absolute. The sales person at Upscale Audio was suggesting to me on the Inpol instead, which got me on this track. My main need is for flexibility across a wide variety of dynamic and plannar cans, with both high and low impedance, which the Manley seems uniquely designed for. I'm wondering if the Inpol's low impedance/high power makes it better suited for power hungry planars, and how would a high impedance dynamic can (e.g. my ZMF VC) would fair on it?

Any thoughts or advice on the Manley vs Inpol (reazling that they radically different options)?

Hi goldwerger, I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge. I'm assuming you have the legacy Mytek Brooklyn Bridge

1) You can select the output voltage by adjusting the "volume" as shown below from the manual. So target something from midway and below and you should be fine.
1632795341516.png

2) I've not heard other hybrids besides the little brother, the Aurium. Some users have mentioned that the Trafomatic is a bit more musical to their tastes. The Wells Audio Dragon also seems to be quite a popular option recently. Unless we know your pairing chain and also musical preference, quite difficult to provide more useful info here. Sorry.

3) I've used the InPol for my following gear without any issues:
Dynamic: K7XX, HD6XX, TH-X00, TH-909
Planar: HE560, HE6SE, HE1000SE, D8000, Solitaire P-SE

Hope this helps

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #308 of 694
Hi goldwerger, I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge. I'm assuming you have the legacy Mytek Brooklyn Bridge

1) You can select the output voltage by adjusting the "volume" as shown below from the manual. So target something from midway and below and you should be fine.
1632795341516.png

2) I've not heard other hybrids besides the little brother, the Aurium. Some users have mentioned that the Trafomatic is a bit more musical to their tastes. The Wells Audio Dragon also seems to be quite a popular option recently. Unless we know your pairing chain and also musical preference, quite difficult to provide more useful info here. Sorry.

3) I've used the InPol for my following gear without any issues:
Dynamic: K7XX, HD6XX, TH-X00, TH-909
Planar: HE560, HE6SE, HE1000SE, D8000, Solitaire P-SE

Hope this helps

Thanks!!

I have the latest BB released in 2019 (the one recently announced isn't yet on the market, Mytek is delayed in their supply chain like many others) - but, my manual doesn't have the section with the specs you reference above. I do have the ability to globally set the gain/trim on the analog attenuator from 0 to -12db. I'm not sure if that affects line out (and whether would impact dynamic range).

I listen mostly to jazz, vocals, and acoustics. I mostly value bueaitful timbre/tonality, well defined instruments, and a good soundsange. My headphones include: Sony MDR-R10, Kennerton Thekk, ZMF VC, Hifiman Arya, and Audio Technica ATH-AWAS. I listen to music streamed through Roon (dedicated Nucleus+ server in separte location, connected over LAN to the Mytek BB). I reaped my CDs, so they are part of my roon library, as well as streaming from Qobuz/Tidal. I currently use the BB's headphone amp, which is a pretty solid SS amp, but want to both upgrade it downstream, as well as provide an alternative that would complement is as an option, hence my gravitation to a tube-driven amp.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #309 of 694
Thanks!!

I have the latest BB released in 2019 (the one recently announced isn't yet on the market, Mytek is delayed in their supply chain like many others) - but, my manual doesn't have the section with the specs you reference above. I do have the ability to globally set the gain/trim on the analog attenuator from 0 to -12db. I'm not sure if that affects line out (and whether would impact dynamic range).

I listen mostly to jazz, vocals, and acoustics. I mostly value bueaitful timbre/tonality, well defined instruments, and a good soundsange. My headphones include: Sony MDR-R10, Kennerton Thekk, ZMF VC, Hifiman Arya, and Audio Technica ATH-AWAS. I listen to music streamed through Roon (dedicated Nucleus+ server in separte location, connected over LAN to the Mytek BB). I reaped my CDs, so they are part of my roon library, as well as streaming from Qobuz/Tidal. I currently use the BB's headphone amp, which is a pretty solid SS amp, but want to both upgrade it downstream, as well as provide an alternative that would complement is as an option, hence my gravitation to a tube-driven amp.
If you have the analog attenuator from 0-12, then I would hazard a guess that you should be fine with an output of -8db. You could tweak it around and see what clips with the InPol (if you do go that route), at least you have the option to adjust how hot the output is on the BB. The May doesn't have that option, so I was stuck with RCA.

The InPol sounds more SS than tubey if you're after a more tubey sound, that's my take on it. Maybe can consider a pure tube option but that's another rabbit hole because of tube rolling, synergy, pairing of driver and power tubes, vintage tube costs.....etc.

The InPol's stock tubes aren't bad BUT once you've rolled in some good NOS tubes in, it does make a pronounced difference depending on the tube you rolled.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #310 of 694
If you have the analog attenuator from 0-12, then I would hazard a guess that you should be fine with an output of -8db. You could tweak it around and see what clips with the InPol (if you do go that route), at least you have the option to adjust how hot the output is on the BB. The May doesn't have that option, so I was stuck with RCA.
time for me to check that directly with mytek... will do that.. thanks!

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #312 of 694
I edited my post to include some opinion on tubes in case you missed it
just seeing this, thanks - that's valuable input. I guess I do need to consider how far off the SS route I want to venture, not really apples to apples

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #313 of 694
Hi everyone,

Upscale is a dealer for both Manley and Pathos. They recommended the Pathos.

Buy the Inpol. You won't be sorry. 🍻🍻🍻
You won't be sorry.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #314 of 694
Upscale is a dealer for both Manley and Pathos. They recommended the Pathos.

Buy the Inpol. You won't be sorry. 🍻🍻🍻
You won't be sorry.
choosing new audio gear is like having a baby. not sure what one will end up getting but you know youre gonna love getting it... :)

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #315 of 694
Hey guys - have had the inpol for a couple weeks.

Used the TC, Sus and other headphones with it. The DAC in my chain is the RME ADI-2 DAC.

I feel like a lot of the detail / resolution is obscured with the stock tubes and that it could sound so much better. In comparison to my much cheaper Topping A90, both the planars have more energy and detail extraction.

Has any one experienced the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back