Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Jul 29, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #256 of 694
@decur mentions having heard the Wa33 and the InPol Ear, and he might be able to elaborate a bit on the comparison when asked?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nii...s-by-lake-people.876018/page-39#post-16233942
I was interested in this amp and I've read through all 17 pages of this thread today and was curious how the InPol Ear sounded compared to the Wa33. Now I'm disappointed. His comment saying that it is equal to the Wa33 (not in price) is a deal killer for me. I demoed the Wa33 JPS Edition and was totally unimpressed. I won't even go into the fact that it is ridiculously priced.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #257 of 694
I was interested in this amp and I've read through all 17 pages of this thread today and was curious how the InPol Ear sounded compared to the Wa33. Now I'm disappointed. His comment saying that it is equal to the Wa33 (not in price) is a deal killer for me. I demoed the Wa33 JPS Edition and was totally unimpressed. I won't even go into the fact that it is ridiculously priced.
It's difficult to judge a product based on one subjective opinion but at least you saved some monies hahaha

Do you have anything specific that you're looking at in terms of amp? Transparency? Power? Certain coloration?

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #258 of 694
The Inpol Ear is a very nice amp especially if you like the form factor. It is very well built with excellent quality.
I had one on loan for about a month whilst awaiting for my Hifiman EF1000 to be built. The Inpol Ear performed very well with my Susvaras.

Jul 30, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #259 of 694
Notice that he did not exactly say "equal," which is your word. He said "it is on the same level," which is far more "abstract" and less precise (not to mention more "subjective")an evaluation than "they are equal," or even less still, "they sound the same." Without having ever heard the Wa33, I am almost one hundred percent certain that it does not sound exactly the same as the InPol Ear (no two separate model amps ever do, in my estimation, and the wild card of tube-rolling of which these two are both capable will make their sonic comparison even more complicated than normal). You'll probably have to ask @decur to explain what he meant by that expression ("it is on the same level"), but i personally did not read those words as meaning "equal" (in the way I am understanding this word, which may or may not coincide with your way of understanding it), or even "similar sounding," which is not necessarily the same as "performing at the same level."

What I can say for certain is that, in person, the InPol Ear has been simply outstanding to my ears in driving either the LCD-4, the He6SE, or the Susvara, whether paired with the Morpheus or the Yggdrasil V2. In that regard, I have found the Steve Guttenberg review of the amp to be fairly balanced and spot on in most regards. Your mileage may still very, of course :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #260 of 694
It's difficult to judge a product based on one subjective opinion but at least you saved some monies hahaha

Do you have anything specific that you're looking at in terms of amp? Transparency? Power? Certain coloration?

Musical, detailed, and not overly analytical or thin sounding. Must have power to drive the 1266 TC optimally.

I currently use a Simaudio 600i V2 speaker amp with the TC's. Excellent sound. I was looking for tube amp as well to compliment. Also must be balanced input.

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #261 of 694
The Inpol Ear is a very nice amp especially if you like the form factor. It is very well built with excellent quality.
I had one on loan for about a month whilst awaiting for my Hifiman EF1000 to be built. The Inpol Ear performed very well with my Susvaras.
Appearance isn't important to me. Only sound. On loan would be ideal if that was possible.

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #262 of 694
Notice that he did not exactly say "equal," which is your word. He said "it is on the same level," which is far more "abstract" and less precise (not to mention more "subjective")an evaluation than "they are equal," or even less still, "they sound the same." Without having ever heard the Wa33, I am almost one hundred percent certain that it does not sound exactly the same as the InPol Ear (no two separate model amps ever do, in my estimation, and the wild card of tube-rolling of which these two are both capable will make their sonic comparison even more complicated than normal). You'll probably have to ask @decur to explain what he meant by that expression ("it is on the same level"), but i personally did not read those words as meaning "equal" (in the way I am understanding this word, which may or may not coincide with your way of understanding it), or even "similar sounding," which is not necessarily the same as "performing at the same level."

What I can say for certain is that, in person, the InPol Ear has been simply outstanding to my ears in driving either the LCD-4, the He6SE, or the Susvara, whether paired with the Morpheus or the Yggdrasil V2. In that regard, I have found the Steve Guttenberg review of the amp to be fairly balanced and spot on in most regards. Your mileage may still very, of course :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Holy crap. Come on now. Equal, same level. Stop parsing words. It's basically the same thing. Even if it's not, it is at least in the same ballpark.

The fact that it could be basically be compared to the Wa33 is a deal killer for me.

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #263 of 694
Holy crap. Come on now. Equal, same level. Stop parsing words. It's basically the same thing. Even if it's not, it is at least in the same ballpark.

The fact that it could be basically be compared to the Wa33 is a deal killer for me.
I do not agree with your approach at all, but I'll of course happily agree to disagree. Regarding the InPol Ear itself, my ears have told me all I need to know first hand. The rest is, as they say, academic. Have a good day.

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #264 of 694
Jul 30, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #265 of 694
Musical, detailed, and not overly analytical or thin sounding. Must have power to drive the 1266 TC optimally.

I currently use a Simaudio 600i V2 speaker amp with the TC's. Excellent sound. I was looking for tube amp as well to compliment. Also must be balanced input.
Hi Ken,

Depending on your location, maybe you could consider the Cayin HA300 (tube amp), the Wilsenton R8 (flavour of the month(s) tube amp) or something from Wells, like their Headtrip or latest Dragon.

These could have the sound sig you're looking for but I'm not sure if you're able to get them on loan for home audition.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #266 of 694
Anyway, I digress. Now back to topic.

Although I have the SuSy Dynahi, Beta22, Studio Six (just traded it for a Mogwai SE), I still gravitate towards the InPol Ear. There's something just right in terms of the overall tonal presentation for my own preferences.

SuSy - slightly more dynamic and energy but thinner at the bottom end
Beta 22 - more rounded and "meatier" but loses on resolution and clarity
Mogwai - like a tube version of the Beta22 but with slightly improved clarity

Bonus: I've used the InPol as preamp for the Mogwai and it does improve the overall tonality of the Mogwai slightly but at the cost of making the mids a bit recessed.

Cans used for testing; Solitaire P-SE, HE6SE, Final D8000

I don't have my HD6XX on hand or any high Z cans to try and see if it makes a difference.

Might try the speaker taps from the Mogwai for the HE6SE one day when I'm not too busy hahaha

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #267 of 694
I do not agree with your approach at all, but I'll of course happily agree to disagree. Regarding the InPol Ear itself, my ears have told me all I need to know first hand. The rest is, as they say, academic. Have a good day.
That's cool. I could always take a flyer and give it a shot.

I'd like to get some reviews with people using the 1266 TC headphones though.

Btw, I'm using the Morpheus as you. I'm looking forward to the new model.

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #269 of 694
Hi Ken,

Depending on your location, maybe you could consider the Cayin HA300 (tube amp), the Wilsenton R8 (flavour of the month(s) tube amp) or something from Wells, like their Headtrip or latest Dragon.

These could have the sound sig you're looking for but I'm not sure if you're able to get them on loan for home audition.
Hi,
Actually I have owned the HA300. I used KR Audio 300B tubes and NOS Tung Sol Black glass, Round plates 6SN7GT tubes and sounded nice. However after a while I got bored and sold it. For me, once you go back to a good solid state amp, you realize that THIS is bass. Thats why I was thinking about a hybrid.

I'll read up on Wells. The R8 doesn't look like it take XLR input.

Where do you live in Malaysia? I used to travel to KL 4 times a year on business.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #270 of 694
Hi,
Actually I have owned the HA300. I used KR Audio 300B tubes and NOS Tung Sol Black glass, Round plates 6SN7GT tubes and sounded nice. However after a while I got bored and sold it. For me, once you go back to a good solid state amp, you realize that THIS is bass. Thats why I was thinking about a hybrid.

I'll read up on Wells. The R8 doesn't look like it take XLR input.

Where do you live in Malaysia? I used to travel to KL 4 times a year on business.

I live in KL hahaha
But this whole pandemic + incompetent gov is really killing my country. So many lives and businesses lost which could've been saved.

Have you considered any of the Class D variants from Purifi, Hypex or Starkrimson?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back