Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #241 of 694
I upgraded my tubes to some Amperex ECC88 from Tube Depot. Nice change from the Siemens Cca tubes — warmer and easier to listen to for long stretches of time. However, after installing the tubes, I noticed some slight background noise from the InPol. I was listening to the amp with Focal Stellias, which are pretty sensitive headphones, and the intrusion of noise into the music bothered me.

So I installed Herbie’s Tube Dampers on the tubes (had to remove the InPol’s cover to put them on, due to the sharp guards around the tube sockets) and inserted an iFi noise-cancelling SupaNova power cable between the InPol and my Power Plant P5. It sounded a bit restrained and sharp that way, so I plugged the InPol directly into the wall. Presto! A more relaxed and open presentation. Plus, no background noise that I can detect anymore.

Making those two changes made the amp sound a little less warm and more precise. I’m trying to decide if I like that or not.
Tubes always have at least a little bit of variance. Some are a bit more noisy and or microphonic. Its simply part of their analog nature. As always use your cleaner before you install your new tubes. Always.

Personally I don't like if a power conditioner adds to the sound signature. All I want from it is a lower noise floor without hindering my gears dynamics.

I've been looking for some nice Holland tubes for my collection. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Please update your experience as the tubes burn in. GLHF! 🍻🍻🍻

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #242 of 694
Questions:

1. So what are the best performing tubes on the InPol Ear, according to forum consensus, if there are any such tubes?

Personally, I used a pair of Genalex Gold Lion 6922s for much of the initial 500-600 burn in period. I have since switched to my Reflektor Holy Grails, and, subsequently, my 1956-59 Telefunken Gold pin/Gold rods, which have so far been my current favorites, with the Reflektors coming in at a close second, but I would like to know what tubes others are rolling on the InPol Ear.

2. If anyone has rolled the Amperex 7308 tubes which the folks at Upscale Audio like to recommend for enhanced bass response, I would like to hear your impressions.

3. Is it safe to roll any non-6922 tubes on this unit, if one has appropriate adapters?

4. Are there any in-depth discussions of tube-rolling options for this unit anywhere on head-fi, or the internet?

Jun 25, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #243 of 694
I have a number of 6922 driver tubes but the only others I've rolled in so far are pre 68 Seimens CCa Grey Shields. I don't remember the exact year of that pair. The grey shields are quite good, but my preferences are the 75. Reflektor silver shields. With the warmth provided by the Nordost Tyr 2 XLR's the overall presentation is rich, detailed and quite 3 dimensional. I love it!

To my ears and IMO one of the most important things a Pathos owner can do is to get some upstream warmth and richness in their setup chain. Just a tad change here or there can mean the difference between beautiful richness and detail or sibilance.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #244 of 694
Hey chaZZZy007, the Tambaqui was initially supposed to be a lockdown loaner, but after I returned it, I missed it's sound. It didn't help that @canfabulous was poisoning me every step of the way.
So, after re-mortgaging my house, I got myself a unit, which my wife would probably kill me if she found out how much it cost 🙈🙊🙉

Anyhoo, impressions can be found on the Mola Mola Tambaqui thread but what I loved about it above the May is the way it renders and portrays drums and strings in the upper registers especially cymbals and guitar plucks.

LOL, I'm innocent! Honest!!!

The Tambaqui and the Pathos ... such a good combo!

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #245 of 694
I have a number of 6922 driver tubes but the only others I've rolled in so far are pre 68 Seimens CCa Grey Shields. I don't remember the exact year of that pair. The grey shields are quite good, but my preferences are the 75. Reflektor silver shields. With the warmth provided by the Nordost Tyr 2 XLR's the overall presentation is rich, detailed and quite 3 dimensional. I love it!

To my ears and IMO one of the most important things a Pathos owner can do is to get some upstream warmth and richness in their setup chain. Just a tad change here or there can mean the difference between beautiful richness and detail or sibilance.
Speaking of "some upstream warmth" and a certain lushness, I do not find them to be particularly lacking in my set-up, although what strikes me now about the end-product is its transparency, 3D spaciousness, wide headstaging, great extension at both ends, blackest of blackgrounds, and uncanny microscopic detail-retrieving abilities. As one can see from the chain described below, I have done some tweaking and optimization upstream with ethernet switches and at least one masterclock. The issue with having so many boxes in one chain is that it makes it difficult sometimes to establish with certainty which box is having what effect on the final product. If i was obliged to identify any source of warmth or lushness (however slight) that I hear in the music produced by the following chain, I'd name perhaps name the NOS Dac (Sonnet Morpheus) and the transducers themselves (Susvara/LCD-4 etc etc), but I would not be certain how accurate or adequate that determination might be... (Incidentally, I notice that I have not even mentioned the tubes--the NOS Telefunken goldpins/gold rods from the late 1950s, whose effects on the final sonic product are also immediately transformative)

What is most important to me, though, is that the entire chain sounds fantastic, and easily the best I have heard so far, and that seems to render all other questions secondary. Oh, and yes, the InPol Ear is also a fantastic world-class performer! Strangely, one does not seem to hear that often enough on head-fi :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sonore optical module (w/LPS) ==>> Uptone Etherregen (w/LPS) ==>> Gieseman Queen Squarewave Masterclock (w/LPS) ==>> Metrum Acoustics Ambre ==>> Sonnet Audio Morpheus ==>> Pathos InPol Ear ===>> HFM Susvara/He6SE/Audeze LCD-4

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #246 of 694
Anyone compare the inpol to EC studio, Woo wa33 or any other tube gear?

Jun 30, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #247 of 694
Jun 30, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #248 of 694
Hey guys,
I would like your opinion.
I am looking for a good closedback set of wood cans to compliment my Utopia on those days when I want something a bit richer sounding. I have a pair of Denon D5000's but want something near the top of wood closed backs.

I am thinking of either Fostex T900 mk II or Denon 9200's. What would you guys suggest? Is there another set of cans I should be looking at instead?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #249 of 694
Hey guys,
I am looking for a good closed set of wood cans to compliment my Utopia on those days when I want some a bit richer sounding. I have a pair of Denon D5000's but want something near the top of wood closed backs.

I am thinking of either Fostex T900 mk II or Denon 9200's. What would you guys suggest? Is there another set of cans I should be looking at instead?
ZMF Verite C or Kennerton Rognir

Jul 1, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #250 of 694
ZMF Verite C or Kennerton Rognir
I had the Atticus and the Verité Open when I had the Pathos. I did not found the combination to be special. ZMF is said to better with high impedance drive, Pathos has a very low output impedance. I sold both ZMF.

But take it please with a grain of salt, I have now the Trafomatic Head 2 which has an output impedance setting and an Aelous. No matter what impedance I try the ZMF is still a question for me.

On the other hand I quite like the Dan Clark Ether C Flow (v 1.1). Should be really good with the Pathos too.

Jul 1, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #251 of 694
Jul 1, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #252 of 694
Hey guys,
I am looking for a good closedback set of wood cans to compliment my Utopia on those days when I want something a bit richer sounding. I have a pair of Denon D5000's but want something near the top of wood closed backs.

Since no-one has mentioned them:

Hifiman R10P

HE-R10P-1_grande.jpg

or the R10D

prd108313.jpg

No, I have not tried either one, but I would particularly like to hear the R10P...

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #253 of 694
Since no-one has mentioned them:

Hifiman R10P

HE-R10P-1_grande.jpg

or the R10D

prd108313.jpg

No, I have not tried either one, but I would particularly like to hear the R10P...
I just got the HE-R10P's and they are the real deal. They are breaking in nicely and are starting to sound less and less like a closed back headphone.

Jul 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #254 of 694
Thanks everyone for suggestions.
I think I want to keep my purchase price to less that 2k. I'm waiting for an updated Utopia and I'll spend whatever I need to spend for that, but in the meantime for this purchase up to 2k'ish neighborhood.

I've actually thought about a Susvara, but with a new Utopia possibly around the corner I am going to wait for that.

Jul 1, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #255 of 694
The Dan Clark suggsted by @carboncopy looks quite interesting and was nowhere on my radar before last night.

Thank you. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back