Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Mar 19, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #466 of 694
Give the Susvara a little time. I upgraded from the HE-1000SE to the Susvara and never looked back…

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 19, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #467 of 694
The Susvara's best feature is also it's worst enemy. To my ears, it's smooth across the board with euphoric mids BUT it can come across as "boring" or "meh" and I do understand that especially when switching between the LCD-5, or Abyss 1266
When compared to the HEKSE, I can understand it being less impressive because the HEKSE has a sparklier (is that even a word lol) treble and thus make the Sus sound a bit subdued.

Totally not trying to justify what you feel but just conveying my impressions as others have with regards to the comparison and pairing.

Hope you find your synergy.

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #468 of 694
Sad to report that the Pathos InPol is not enough amp for me and my Susvara. If I didn’t already own the HE-1000SE, I would be quite satisfied with what I have. While the Pathos sounds marvelous with the HE-1000SE, with my current setup, the Susvara sounds quite subdued in comparison.

I have invested in a speaker amp for the Susvara and will use either the Pathos or my iFi iCan Pro as a preamp.
I was looking through a hifi dealers web site and came across the Hifiman EF1000 headphone amp, looked really fabulous nice bit of kit but at nearly £13000 in the UK I did gulp a bit, but I guess that would drive your Susvara's nicely.
I guess this hifi ladder is an expensive thing to climb, every time I buy something expensive I say to myself 'that's enough now' like I did with the Stellia's and Arche I thoroughly enjoy it at the time but you always think could I go one stage further and usually do.

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #469 of 694
Regarding the HekSE vs Susvara comparo, I suspect, sometimes, that tolerance levels and preferences might be influenced by the genre of music one typically listens to most of the time. In my own case, my listening diet tends to have a strong dose of relaxing acoustic jazz and other types of acoustic music for which both the HekSE and the Susvara used to work very well.To be fair, i never tried the HekSE with my pathos inpol ear since it was long sold when I got the Pathos. However, it you were to ask me which pairing to choose for my usual listening sections today, i would go with the Susvara/Pathos pairing almost every single time, for the type of music i normally listen to.

For occasions when i want the sound to be a little more energetic or dynamic than the default Susvara sound (yes, I experience occasions like that, as well), I typically turn to either the Arya Stealth or the He6SE V2 for HFM house sound flavors, or to the 1266 TC or the LCD-5 for even more diverse extra "energetic" flavored explorations, but I have never felt that the Pathos is selling the Susvara short in comparison.

Still, in the spirit of "never-say-never" I am going to have the opportunity to try the Susvara on a KG CFA3 at some point not too far in the distant future, and I shall see what is to be learnt from that encounter as well.

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #470 of 694
Regarding the HekSE vs Susvara comparo, I suspect, sometimes, that tolerance levels and preferences might be influenced by the genre of music one typically listens to most of the time. In my own case, my listening diet tends to have a strong dose of relaxing acoustic jazz and other types of acoustic music for which both the HekSE and the Susvara used to work very well.To be fair, i never tried the HekSE with my pathos inpol ear since it was long sold when I got the Pathos. However, it you were to ask me which pairing to choose for my usual listening sections today, i would go with the Susvara/Pathos pairing almost every single time, for the type of music i normally listen to.

For occasions when i want the sound to be a little more energetic or dynamic than the default Susvara sound (yes, I experience occasions like that, as well), I typically turn to either the Arya Stealth or the He6SE V2 for HFM house sound flavors, or to the 1266 TC or the LCD-5 for even more diverse extra "energetic" flavored explorations, but I have never felt that the Pathos is selling the Susvara short in comparison.

Still, in the spirit of "never-say-never" I am going to have the opportunity to try the Susvara on a KG CFA3 at some point not too far in the distant future, and I shall see what is to be learnt from that encounter as well.
The Susvara’s on CFA3 will be interesting. Looking forward to your thoughts on this pairing.

Mar 20, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #471 of 694

Hi, what source are you using with the Pathos and Susvara combination, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #472 of 694
Hi, what source are you using with the Pathos and Susvara combination, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.
Etherregen ==>> Metrum Acoustics Ambre (Roon) ==>> Sonnet Morpheus ==>> Pathos InPol Ear.

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #473 of 694
Anyone pair this with their TC 1266? I saw Joe from Abyss using this with this headphones for a while, but they stopped mentioning it.

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #474 of 694
Steve Gutenberg has a review paring it (link).

Mar 26, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #477 of 694
Please don't temp me....:L3000:

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #478 of 694
Perhaps I was premature in writing off the combination of the Susvara and the Pathos InPol Ear. My Susvara was brand new when I got it, not broken in at all. I’ve been using the Susvara for two weeks, sometimes listening and sometimes just letting music play while it sat on its stand. I put on Peter Gabriel’s “So” tonight and noticed that the clarity and bass impact of the headphones, right from “Red Rain” onwards, seemed more pronounced and three-dimensional. The headphones feel more alive. I am much happier with the duo now than I was originally.

Had I waited two weeks and disregarded the comments on the Susvara thread about needing a speaker amp to power them, I might have stuck with what I have now. The InPol and Susvara are a really good match. But I let myself be persuaded by what I read, and I got the Keces S300 and I’m just waiting for a speaker amp adapter box. Oh, well. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #479 of 694
Hi, at the outset, sorry if this has been asked before....I'd like to know if anyone has paired the Pathos inpol ear with a Holo audio May dac and can post opinions, thoughts, impressions. I'd like to use the 2 units together but don't want to move my setup around before hearing some opinions and suggestions. Thanks in advance! I appreciate everyone's experience and knowledge.

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #480 of 694
The Holo Audio May DAC puts out 5.8 VRMS from its balanced outputs, I believe. The Pathos Inpol Ear can handle ~4.4 VRMS before clipping. If you use lower volumes on the Pathos, a preamp in-between the Holo and Pathos, or use the RCA outputs from the Holo (which are lower voltage, but I can’t find the VRMS output offhand), you should be fine.

I almost went with this combo before discovering the Pathos’ low input voltage allowance. Tim suggested to me that I buy the Holo May and Serene preamp to deal with the Pathos’ limitation, but I declined.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back