Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Mar 16, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #451 of 694
Interesting. What volume do you set the InPol to since you're controlling the volume via the iCan, I presume.
I read on the iCan Pro thread that the best-sounding setting for the volume knob is at 12 o’clock, so I’ve set it there for now. I’m still working out the optimal settings.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #452 of 694
Did you use any special grounding tweaks?
I have a few iFi Groundhog grounding cables and I just picked up the Synergistic Research Active Ground Block SE. Waiting on more SR cables so I can switch everything over to the block. Adding the block to my system and grounding my components increased definition and bass presence at lower volumes, so I can listen at more reasonable levels to spare my aging hearing. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #453 of 694
Susvara in the house! They're burning in on the InPol Ear as we speak.

My first impression was "meh," but I know these headphones need some time to break in, so I'll be patient.

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #454 of 694

My first impression was "meh," but I know these headphones need some time to break in, so I'll be patient.
The Susvara's best feature is also it's worst enemy. To my ears, it's smooth across the board with euphoric mids BUT it can come across as "boring" or "meh" and I do understand that especially when switching between the LCD-5, or Abyss 1266

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #455 of 694
Well speaking of "burn-in,' the Susvara often requires some more of the psycho-acoustic kind than other headphones, in order to shine maximally. I mean that it could take some ears a kind of "learning curve" to become really attuned to it, and to hear it in the delicately fine-tuned way that it deserves to be heard. Once one reaches that point, it then becomes really addicting, even if it initially comes out of the box sounding "meh." In other words, a little patience might be in order, even if or when the Susvara is being properly driven.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #456 of 694

That's an interesting first impression, when I first put on the Utopia's I bought the other day my first impression was WOW how can they sound that much better than my beloved Stellia's with the Black Dragon cables. So I immediately bought some Silver Dragons for the Utopia's. Even though they haven't "burnt in' yet I still find myself tapping my feet and really enjoying the music.
I am sure your Susvara's will burn in and give you satisfaction, being new to headphones what do I know anyhow, enjoy.

Mar 18, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #461 of 694
Hi, does anyone know whether the Pathos inpol ear amp has any gain settings? If so, where is that located on the unit? For example, the Rogue Audio RH-5 amp has gain settings of 1, 2 and 3. Thanks!
No, there is no gain setting

Mar 19, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #463 of 694
Sad to report that the Pathos InPol is not enough amp for me and my Susvara. If I didn’t already own the HE-1000SE, I would be quite satisfied with what I have. While the Pathos sounds marvelous with the HE-1000SE, with my current setup, the Susvara sounds quite subdued in comparison.

I have invested in a speaker amp for the Susvara and will use either the Pathos or my iFi iCan Pro as a preamp.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #464 of 694
Sad to report that the Pathos InPol is not enough amp for me and my Susvara. If I didn’t already own the HE-1000SE, I would be quite satisfied with what I have. While the Pathos sounds marvelous with the HE-1000SE, with my current setup, the Susvara sounds quite subdued in comparison.

I have invested in a speaker amp for the Susvara and will use either the Pathos or my iFi iCan Pro as a preamp.
Are you using the balance inputs and output in the Inpol?

IMHO my Susvara sound great out of the Inpol. At the same level as out of my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP.

The Inpol at the 60 ohms of the Susvara should be putting almost 6 watts/ch in balanced mode (I think).

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 19, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #465 of 694
Are you using the balance inputs and output in the Inpol?

IMHO my Susvara sound great out of the Inpol. At the same level as out of my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP.

The Inpol at the 60 ohms of the Susvara should be putting almost 6 watts/ch in balanced mode (I think).
I'm not saying the Susvara doesn't sound good out of the InPol. It does. But the HE-1000SE sounds more alive and more defined with the amount of power the Pathos puts out (through its balanced inputs and outputs that I'm using). Maybe the Susvara needs more burn-in, I don't know. I just know that at the cost/performance ratio I'm getting now from both pairs of Hifiman headphones, the HE-1000SE is coming out ahead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back