Pathos Aurium anyone?
Nov 28, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #76 of 191

I sometimes use HD600 on my Aurium and frankly it's not my favorite pairing because you're hooking up a very warm headphone to a very warm tube amp.  I like my K812 + Aurium much better... The cleaner, more analytical sound of the AKG warms up nicely on the Aurium.  I've compared the K812+Aurium with K812+Oppo Amp setup and liked the tube sound better...there's less 'glare' in the orchestral strings and you get a really gorgeous lush string sound.

Just my $0.02.  I only listen to acoustic music (Classical/opera).

Hi MozartMan1201
Did you solve the noise problem yet?

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #77 of 191
MozartMan,  I am expecting mine around the end of next week. Also ordered a pair of NOS Matsu****a tubes for it from Upscale Audio.  Will post impressions as soon as I get some listening time in.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #79 of 191
  MozartMan,  I am expecting mine around the end of next week. Also ordered a pair of NOS Matsu****a tubes for it from Upscale Audio.  Will post impressions as soon as I get some listening time in.

Try spelling like "Schitt Audio"

Which headphone will you be using with the Aurium?  Well, my audible hum came back and they're sending me a new set of tubes to see if the problem goes away.  It only bothers me when the background is silent like during a lot of Classical chamber music, then I switch to my solid-state amp.
I've added metal spikes to the unit.  Cool looking, but zero audible improvement lol.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #80 of 191
I currently own unmodified Denon AH-D7000's and Senn HD650's with cardas cable.  Will see how they sound; if the Denon is more or less OK with it, not only sonically but in terms of gain, I may have it re-cabled, as the stock cable seems to be very poorly made and installed.  But I'll play it by ear.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #81 of 191
Just got my new tubes (Electro-Harmonix 6922).  Put them in and the hum is still there. It's very faint but could be annoying if you have sensitive ears like me. The store says it's normal with tubes.   I guess I can learn to live with it.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #83 of 191
BTW I wonder if what you are hearing might be coming from the power supply? I have an HD-Plex that I can't really spare, as it is powering my music server, but I can connect up the Aurium to that as a test, and see what happens.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #84 of 191
  Just got my new tubes (Electro-Harmonix 6922).  Put them in and the hum is still there. It's very faint but could be annoying if you have sensitive ears like me. The store says it's normal with tubes.   I guess I can learn to live with it.

Dear MozartMan1201, I really suggest you to switch a new one cause I almost can't hear any hum with the new replaced one with my K812.
Also wish this could help a bit with Abuhannibal 

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #86 of 191
Arrived!!!!  Only listened to two tracks, with the Denons. Very fast conclusions FWIW:

1. Mine is dead quiet, even with the Denons which are super-sensitive. So if anyone is having noise issues, something is not right - I'd try switching out the power supply if it's hum and the tubes if it's hiss.

2. Yeah, with the Denons the sound is very warm. I don't really mind it but it may get to be too much of a good thing, time will tell.

3. My concerns about it having too much gain even with the gain control all the way down were not well-founded. It's just fine with the Denons with the control about 1/3 of the way up from minimum. Havn't tried it yet with the Sennheisers but I am sure it will be fine with those.

All the above observations are with the stock tubes. NOS Mat-su-shee-tas should arrive in the next day or two.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #87 of 191
Just a bit of added info about the power supply, which visually does indeed look pretty damned unimpressive. :)  I asked the pathos people if they see any value in using it with a linear power supply, and they answered that they do a good bit of additional conditioning of the DC input inside the unit itself, so basically (in their words) all you really hafta do is give it 2 amps of reasonably clean 12v DC. if you unplug the ps while the unit is on standby the led continues to glow for a good few seconds, so something is indeed going on (I have no idea what.)  They didn't discourage me from trying it, but didn't say anything that would lead me to think they expect an improvement, either.

My NOS tubes arrived from Upscale Audio - nice and quiet, haven't been able to do any critical listening yet with them though.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #89 of 191
Update after I've had some more time to listen. Firstly, as I mentioned above, if you are worried about using the Pathos with high-sensitivity 'phones, don't be. Sonically, with my Denons, I think the warmth is a little too much, but that's what eq is for. I just tried my Sennheiser HD650's with Cardas cable with it, along with the Sonarworks "average" eq curve (probably off a bit b/c of the cable, if nothing else) and it brought a big  effin' smile to my face - very nice indeed. I am running it with NOS Matsu****a 7DJ8's which are quiet and very smooth-sounding with this amp. One operational thing to be aware of is that if the unit is disconnected from power it will come up with the XLR input selected.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #90 of 191
Hey Guys,
Just got Pathos Aurium off craigslist.
Must say it sounds wonderful.
Except the background ringing noise!
It seems like 1kHz frequency.
Doesn't change with volume or gain adjustment.
Doesn't change with switching tubes.
Is even unchanged with no tubes installed at all.
Not very loud but quality of that particular frequency seems very penetrating,
So it is noticeable even when playing music.
Like virtually impossible to ignore.
I see others have had similar problems and wonder what is the best solution.
New power supply? Send in for repair? Swap for new unit?
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back