Pathos Aurium anyone?
Sep 9, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #106 of 191
After Arnie Nudell plugged the Pathos Aurium in a review of the LCD-X, I expect they became an item of interest.
That's certainly why I bought mine.
Replaced it however with a Woo WA-5 and Abyss headphones. Also grabbed a Headtrip amp.
The Pathos was nice, aside from the ringing.
But WA5 and Headtrip are in a different class altogether. (for the price they should be!)

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #107 of 191
I have a tiny ring too with only my LCD XC, but not the 2. Sensitive cans will pick up noise in the unit, most likely power related.

I still love it, it is the most bang for buck amp ever, only pairs of tube to roll. Spend 1400 on amp and another 1K on the tubes you like, and it will last you 10-15+ years.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #109 of 191
Pathos with LCD-3 and the Telefunkens was heavenly.
Got the other amps because the Abyss headphones reputedly requires major power to sound their best.
The Headtrip is 50 watts into 8 ohms!!!
Never had the chance to try the Abyss with the Pathos.
But my buddy is enjoying my old setup.
Says he doesn't notice the ringing.
Honestly think he is just using the LCD-3 with his iphone so his opinion probably doesn't count.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #114 of 191
E88CC
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6922-6dj8-7308-pcc88/telefunken-e88cc-6922/
Might be others that would prefer differenty but rolling 6922s an expensive proposition.
With LCD-3 not dry at all. So liquidy wonderful I needed a sponge when I was done.
One of the things that had me looking at the Audeze King amp was their use of 6922s.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #117 of 191
  Compared to other tube amps, 6922 isn't a bad roll, when you only have two. Look at woo amps those will be pricey to start rolling.

True.
I rolled Takatsuki 300Bs into the Woo. (and the Sophia Princess 274, and the Tung Sol NOS 6SN7GT)
They were right about the spectacular performance.
But I could have bought 2 Pathos Auriums for the price of those tubes.
Still seems like I must have lost my mind to fork that kind of $$$.
But I was looking for SummitFi SQ and think maybe I got it.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #118 of 191
Upscale Audio tube prices are the highest in the business.

lol.......hence the word upscale

but they source quality tubes and have process behind their methods, it is really for those who just don't want to deal with the hassle of sourcing NOS tubes, due to fraud or quality issues, to find quality tubes.

If you plan to keep your tubes forever until they die, the extra cost you pay upfront is minimal, compared to the opportunity cost of trading around NOS tubes.

My E88CC are from them, and I plan that they should last 10+ years, in rotation.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #119 of 191
I agree. I've wasted a lot of $ on eBay tubes that were no good.
Upscale is accountable. Worth a couple bucks for the quality IMHO.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #120 of 191
That's the prevailing attitude in forums and it's the advice I followed until I realized there are other reputable dealers selling tubes that measure and sound just as good for I'd say 60% of Upscale prices on average. Or your collection ends up a lot smaller than it otherwise would be. Upscale is not the only reputable dealer who puts a custom sticker with measurements on the tube box. Any tube he has in stock is presented like a piece of art and he's done a very good job of differentiating his products even though they're actually a commodity. It's all tubes. It's not like Upscale has the good ones and everybody else's are crap. It took me too long to realize that. At Upscale you're paying for marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back