Pathos Acoustics Aurium - listening impressions
Apr 16, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #32 of 114
I just got the Pathos Aurium and really like it. One question, because I'm new to tube rolling, how does one eject a tube from its socket? Do you simply yank it out or is there a more delicate way? Cheers.

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #34 of 114
hold it firmly and gently, slowly, pull it out whist lightly "swinging" it around
Many thanks; I'll give it a whirl later.

Edit: thanks it worked. This is a great amp. Amazing build quality and a super balance of a nice meaty sound without lacking any detail or speed. Lots of very clean and weighty power. Pairs beautifully with my ZMF Eikons.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #35 of 114
I've just started to read about this head amp. It's all good apart from some concerns about output power and the ability to drive difficult headphones. I have a pair of beyerdynamic T1.2's that are rated at 600 Ohms. Is this amp likely to struggle with them? I'm looking for a lot of low-down 'weight' to the sound and a sense of effortlessness.

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #36 of 114
I've just started to read about this head amp. It's all good apart from some concerns about output power and the ability to drive difficult headphones. I have a pair of beyerdynamic T1.2's that are rated at 600 Ohms. Is this amp likely to struggle with them? I'm looking for a lot of low-down 'weight' to the sound and a sense of effortlessness.
I just got this amp recently and am very impressed with it. Effortless is certainly how I'd describe and authoritative. I could not imagine it struggling with your T1.2's. I understand it's designed to drive headphones up to 1000 ohms. Certianly drives my DT1990's, ZMF's and Focal Clears marvellously well. The headroom is significant, the low-end punch is impactful, but the detail and precision are refined. I am using stock tubes, but have some Gold Lion 12AX7 on the way along with the Sbooster BOTW linear power supply, which I understand give even more definition. Build quality and aesthetics are also top notch. I highly recommend it.

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #37 of 114
Thank you, @Nostoi. It'll be to replace my Arcam rHead, which is also a Class A amp. I'm using the balanaced XLR inputs on the rHead and the Aurium appears to have similar inputs too, which is a major tick in the box for me. It's more than twice the price of the rHead so I would expect some improvement in sound.

Just out of interest, how much of a warm-up does it need?

Also, I've read that you can 'impedance match' the amp to the headphones. Is this via a dial/switch on the amp itself?

I've only had one previous valve-based head amp before: a Little Dot MkIII, which sound pretty good. I am yearning for that kind of sound.

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #39 of 114
Thank you, @Nostoi. It'll be to replace my Arcam rHead, which is also a Class A amp. I'm using the balanaced XLR inputs on the rHead and the Aurium appears to have similar inputs too, which is a major tick in the box for me. It's more than twice the price of the rHead so I would expect some improvement in sound.

Also, I've read that you can 'impedance match' the amp to the headphones. Is this via a dial/switch on the amp itself?

I've only had one previous valve-based head amp before: a Little Dot MkIII, which sound pretty good. I am yearning for that kind of sound.
I upgraded from the Rupert Neve Headphone Amp to the Aurium. I think the Acram rHead and the Neve amp are often paired together as very compelling solid state options. Indeed, the Rupert Neve is an excellent amp. But for me, the upgrade was immensely beneficial. No competition at all in every respect.

I'm connecting with the XLR inputs to my RME Adi-2 DAC and it's as silent as the RME itself, which is totally silent. No "hum" from any of the components, nor any electro-magnetic interference, which I've had on other tube amps.

From stand-by to being fully powered on is under a minute, maybe 30 seconds. I think it takes a good 20 minutes for the tubes to reach their optimal state.

Yes, there'a dial on the back that you can match impedance. It allows you to fine tune the master volume so you're increasing or decreasing volume in gradual increments. I've left it on its default 6pm position and seldom have to turn the master volume beyond 1pm.

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #40 of 114

I would also add, the Aurium is highly "musical" - which is a subjective aspect hard to describe. I can only say it really seems to do tremendous justice to well produced music from multiple genres. It's a very engaging amp on a visceral level. It brings a level of addictive enjoyment to listening to music, and does so through bringing all these sub-details to the surfaces but in a cohesive rather than analytical way. Hard to describe, but I never found that in any other amp.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #41 of 114
Thank you all for your valuable replies.

I will try to source one over the next couple of weeks. My DAC is a Topping D90 so my plan is to connect the D90 to the Aurium using balanced XLR cables (I have sourced some high quality, 1-metre length ones with Van Damme cables and Neutrik Gold 3-pin XLR connectors). In terms of headphone output, I presume that it's a singled-ended 1/4-inch affair as it is with the Arcam rHead, despite balanced inputs? My headphones are single-ended anyway.

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #42 of 114
Thank you all for your valuable replies.

I will try to source one over the next couple of weeks. My DAC is a Topping D90 so my plan is to connect the D90 to the Aurium using balanced XLR cables (I have sourced some high quality, 1-metre length ones with Van Damme cables and Neutrik Gold 3-pin XLR connectors). In terms of headphone output, I presume that it's a singled-ended 1/4-inch affair as it is with the Arcam rHead, despite balanced inputs? My headphones are single-ended anyway.
Hi, yup single ended 1/4 inch. I have not found too much benefit in balanced set-ups other in terms of producing more power. But I don't feel the Aurium needs more power. BTW: if you're in the UK, Audio Affair have the Aurium have a good price. That's where I bought mine from and had it sent to Vienna. Let me know your impressions.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #43 of 114
Does anyone have a black/silver Aurium and would be kind enough to post a couple of photos please? I've found images for the silver and black versions, but it seems like there is also a black/silver version available.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #44 of 114
Does anyone have a black/silver Aurium and would be kind enough to post a couple of photos please? I've found images for the silver and black versions, but it seems like there is also a black/silver version available.
I have the black version with the silver knob. Is that what you mean? If so, I can take some photos, sure.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #45 of 114
available versions are:
- silver
- black
- silver/black accents (volume knob + push-buttons)
- black/silver accents

there also are black/red accents and I believe silver/red accents versions
if you search on Google images you can see all of them :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back