Pathos Acoustics Aurium - listening impressions
Jan 17, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #106 of 114
Considering picking one of these up as my first tube HP amp. Do owners think it would be a good showcase for what tubes can do with headphones? I should note, I have lots of tubes in my main hifi system, but I've never heard headphones through tubes.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #107 of 114
Considering picking one of these up as my first tube HP amp. Do owners think it would be a good showcase for what tubes can do with headphones? I should note, I have lots of tubes in my main hifi system, but I've never heard headphones through tubes.
This is a fair question. Now to be clear the tubes in Aurium act as
a tube pre stage for the MOS-FET power stage. You get some character as to how tubes can effect the sound, but not to the degree of what an all tube design amplifier does.
The Aurium has incredibly smoothed out highs. I feel the tubes help make this happen along with the amp design using zero feedback.
It is a great amplifier, but if you really want the full tube experience, especially on headphones I’d definitely go with an all tube design amplifier. It is different and you’ll hear it in the midrange especially.
Hope this helps. I recommend Woo Audio. I think they make amazing Amps and they are a good company.

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #109 of 114
I am surprised there is only 7 pages of discussion as I thought that this amp was so good for the price!
yeah me too.

I'm interested if someone has used it as preamp? how to use tape outs for that?
if, how much and how it would change the sound in combination with let's say an accurate, black background and fairley neutral SS amp like a V550...

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #111 of 114
Also gain "on the back"?

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #112 of 114
Not sure, but I believe it actually adjusts the impedance to better match the phones in use @ the jack (I know it says "gain").
You might correspond with Pathos in Italy to ask further about your use case - they are very responsive. Look on their website for contact info.
And let us know what you find.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #113 of 114
Not sure, but I believe it actually adjusts the impedance to better match the phones in use @ the jack (I know it says "gain").
You might correspond with Pathos in Italy to ask further about your use case - they are very responsive. Look on their website for contact info.
And let us know what you find.
you were right they are very responsive! within minutes in my case...

My inquiry probaly stems from a lack of technical understanding and maybe the PDF is self explanatory. I thaught one could use it as preamp with "fixed gain" (volume control bypassed) but in actuality it just helps one to connect more sources...

from Pathos: the signal is not manipulated by the Aurium, using the Tape-out. This feature lets you connecting up to 4 sources and listening to the one you prefer through an amplifier + loudspeakers, without turning on the Aurium.
(can´t be a power amp though, right?)

So I don´t really understand fully because the Aurium used in such a configuration needs a volume control after it. Don´t integrated amps have enough inputs? In a HP system maybe there are a few who have a need for more inputs...

So in my case I´m scratching the Aurium and look for a dedicated tube-pre or a HP tube amp with pre functionality with great attenuator...

Attachments

• Aurium_bypass.pdf
    166.2 KB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #114 of 114
So I don´t really understand fully because the Aurium used in such a configuration needs
I used the Aurium tape out exactly as described in the pdf file. Basically is when your source (DAC or Turntable) has only one output connection. In this case you can connect it to the Aurium, for headphone listening, and your loudspeaker amplifier to the tape out. You don’t need to turn the Aurium on to listen music from the amplifier.
If your source has multiple output connection there are not reason to use the Tape Out ones.
Now I’ve a dedicated streamer and DAC for the Aurium ad I’ve no need for additional connections

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back