Pathos Acoustics Aurium - listening impressions
Aug 14, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #93 of 114
Guys
tonight I switched on my Aurium to test it with my ibasso DX320, but unbelievably did not work ! it's not a problem of DX320, since I had 220MAX too and it did not work too.

Apparently everything seems fine, red light after switch on, green intermitting light and after fixed green light. The correct channel (1st) selected. But completely mute.
I noticed pushing volume over 3/4 I get a "bzzz", so immediately I drop it.

maybe could also be a cables problem? for example the 6mm that goes out into headphone?

Any idea of what's happening?
Thank you
ciao

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #94 of 114
Guys
tonight I switched on my Aurium to test it with my ibasso DX320, but unbelievably did not work ! it's not a problem of DX320, since I had 220MAX too and it did not work too.

Apparently everything seems fine, red light after switch on, green intermitting light and after fixed green light. The correct channel (1st) selected. But completely mute.
I noticed pushing volume over 3/4 I get a "bzzz", so immediately I drop it.

maybe could also be a cables problem? for example the 6mm that goes out into headphone?

Any idea of what's happening?
Thank you
ciao
Ok. Could be either the tubes themselves or you haven’t adjusted the gain properly.
Cabling is also a possibility. I am guessing you have a cable like this ?
You said you are using input 1 which is the balanced connection, so maybe your DAP settings possibly? Did you activate its line out option properly?
I’m sure you did. Just trying to troubleshoot here. Check the tubes though for sure. ✌️🤝

Attachments

• IMG_6927.jpeg
    IMG_6927.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #95 of 114
Pretty happy with the Pathos Aurium and after having it for 3 months with the stock LPS I’m ready to try something else. :)
This LPS is a far more substantial build than the Sunny Computers Stock LPS. This alone makes me feel better that the Aurium will be in better care, especially longevity wise.

Attachments

• IMG_6998.jpeg
    IMG_6998.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7002.jpeg
    IMG_7002.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7001.jpeg
    IMG_7001.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7008.jpeg
    IMG_7008.jpeg
  • IMG_7009.jpeg
    IMG_7009.jpeg
  • IMG_7010.jpeg
    IMG_7010.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7004.jpeg
    IMG_7004.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #96 of 114
Pretty happy with the Pathos Aurium and after having it for 3 months with the stock LPS I’m ready to try something else. :)
This LPS is a far more substantial build than the Sunny Computers Stock LPS. This alone makes me feel better that the Aurium will be in better care, especially longevity wise.
I’m using the same LPS and well satisfied by the result. Nevertheless, you should check the Farad Super 3 too: I’m using it with a different electronic and the sound quality difference is amazing

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #97 of 114
Besides an LPS, the other important improvement is higher-quality tubes.

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #98 of 114
Besides an LPS, the other important improvement is higher-quality tubes.
A very true and accurate point. Of course the LPS and tubes really do have to be of sufficient quality to get the most out this amplifier. Unfortunately it makes the base cost of the amplifier a lot more expensive. Nature of the beast though. :wink:

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #99 of 114
I’m using the same LPS and well satisfied by the result. Nevertheless, you should check the Farad Super 3 too: I’m using it with a different electronic and the sound quality difference is amazing
Terrific to hear. I’ve gotta put some hrs on mine. Will report back here to let you guys know my feelings and impressions. 😌

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #100 of 114
Any of you guys get some headtime with Monolith Liquid Platinum before going over to Pathos Aurium ?

I found the Platinum much "drier/SS hard" than likes of pure tube Cayin HA-1a Mk2 and wonder with the hybrid style Aurium as well if it tends in that direction vs Cayin Ha-1a mk2 or Ha-3a pure tube amps..that was stock tubes and of course there is the rolling element as well..

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #101 of 114
Hi gents. It is a hit. After about 3 months of owning the Aurium and the S-Booster MK-2 BOTW together is definitely a great synergy to my ears and I can easily recommend it. Music notes have weight and flow in an effortless way that is extremely hard to describe. Now I know I’ve heard some on here feeling they heard no difference upgrading the LPS for the Aurium, but where I am separated from most people is that I use an AC Regenerator from PS audio in my chain. That item really helps to understand what you add and take away in an entire system. Anyway. This is a win. Very happy. 🇮🇹

IMG_7008.jpeg
IMG_7010.jpeg

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #102 of 114
Hi gents. It is a hit. After about 3 months of owning the Aurium and the S-Booster MK-2 BOTW together is definitely a great synergy to my ears and I can easily recommend it. Music notes have weight and flow in an effortless way that is extremely hard to describe. Now I know I’ve heard some on here feeling they heard no difference upgrading the LPS for the Aurium, but where I am separated from most people is that I use an AC Regenerator from PS audio in my chain. That item really helps to understand what you add and take away in an entire system. Anyway. This is a win. Very happy. 🇮🇹

IMG_7008.jpegIMG_7010.jpeg
Thanks for the feedback. I’m also using the BOTW to power my Aurum and the difference with the standard PS is clear. I’m wondering if such improvements would even increase with a further better linear power supply, like the Farad Super 3. Not sure a tube amplifier can be so sensitive to PS like a digital source

Now you should consider to test different tubes, provided you are still using the standard ones. I’m using a couple of Tesla NOS and I like them soo much 😉

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #103 of 114
Thanks for the feedback. I’m also using the BOTW to power my Aurum and the difference with the standard PS is clear. I’m wondering if such improvements would even increase with a further better linear power supply, like the Farad Super 3. Not sure a tube amplifier can be so sensitive to PS like a digital source

Now you should consider to test different tubes, provided you are still using the standard ones. I’m using a couple of Tesla NOS and I like them soo much 😉
Hi friend. Changing out the LPS from the BOTW MK2 will not make things better, just different. Power supplies much like vacuum tubes have their own unique sound profiles and character. Speaking of which. I don’t use the stock Electro Harmonix tubes that came with my amp. I use the Toshiba 6DJ8 signal tubes. They are excellent. I cannot complain.
Anyway. Thanks for your feedback and definitely experiment with power supplies. Let me know your findings if you switch from our S BOOSTER. :)

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #104 of 114
I am surprised there is only 7 pages of discussion as I thought that this amp was so good for the price!

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #105 of 114
I am surprised there is only 7 pages of discussion as I thought that this amp was so good for the price!
I’m actually not. Pathos primary is a niche manufacturer and pretty much their entire line of products are made to order.
You are right though. The Aurium is an incredibly, yet fairly priced amplifier. I absolutely love mine. Definitely the smoothest sounding amplifier I own. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back