Pathos Acoustics Aurium - listening impressions
Apr 20, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #47 of 114
That would be good. That must be the black/silver version. I guess it's mainly the volume control knob that defines the colour scheme.
Photos taken on my phone (a BlackBerry no less) so excuse quality. If you need a specific detail, let me know.

IMG_20200414_1457042.jpgIMG_20200420_1143246.jpgIMG_20200420_1143162.jpgIMG_20200414_1923217.jpg

Apr 22, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #49 of 114
I ended up receiving some Gold Lion tubes for my Aurium, however they don't seem to work. These are the ones I ordered. They're the ECC83. Should I have bought the E88CC? As mentioned before, I'm new to tube rolling. Thanks.

Edit: yep, I realise I ordered the wrong parts. Correct 6922 replacement part on the way.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #50 of 114
Hey guys,

I share here the summary about my experience in tubes replacement with Pathos Aurium.

As you know the best thing is to share experience exactly in the same days when you are testing the difference comparing a first and an after but I didn't ! (or better, I took some notes for myself, testing my "typical" songs...).

Anyway, given the other conditions the same, I replaced Pathos standanrd tubes (Electro Harmonics) with 2 x ECC88 68J8 Amperex matched. 2years and half ago more or less and I believe I spent around 100 eur. Unfortunately I was not able to listen so many hours, they are around 150hrs.
I read contrastant opinion about Tubes replacement in the net. Who says it does not impacts, who says the sound changes completely (in better). And other people said the real boost is the new PSU LPS. I also changed this and this improved the sound too. But I found the tubes replacement is more important to find more sound improvement.

My personal experience in a few words: Amperex plays a difference. Standard EH are too bass oriented, covering the other frequency. I clearly remember also in the first listening hrs I found Amperex more equilibrated, bass, medium, and powerful highs. And transparency. Yes. Transparency could be the only one word coudl summarize the difference between these tubes. EH seems "foggy" compared with Amperex. The global experience and musicality are brought to a superior level. Absoultey thumb up for me.
PS the equilibrium of the Amperex does not mean they don't have bass vs EH. The point is EH has too much bass. Amperex bass in pathos aurium matching with the HiFiman 560 are simply miracolus. Full, articulated in every single note, punch, punch, punch that arrives in your chest !
And finally Amperex has a very nice sinergy with the Pathos warm and in particular with its limitless headroom and soundstage...not only large...but...DEPTH..Depth...You are completely brought inside the sound....The soundstage is what is further improved by replacing the standard 40w PSU with a 100w LPS PSU.

ciao!

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #51 of 114
Great!
I love the utopia from the rogue.
I had for few days at home the aurium. In that period I had the lcd3 and didn t like the combo at all
Too slow and no grip
I m very curious to try with the Focal.
Even if for what I remember the pathos is warmer than the rogue..
I have the Utopia and wondering whether I should buy these - do you have any impressions on this?

May 13, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #52 of 114
I would like to hear it too.
The pathos and the graham slee ulde
Two amps I know (i had the ulde for two years back in the days) and that I feel could make utopia sound great with a relative low price

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #53 of 114
I upgraded from the Rupert Neve Headphone Amp to the Aurium. I think the Acram rHead and the Neve amp are often paired together as very compelling solid state options. Indeed, the Rupert Neve is an excellent amp. But for me, the upgrade was immensely beneficial. No competition at all in every respect.

I'm connecting with the XLR inputs to my RME Adi-2 DAC and it's as silent as the RME itself, which is totally silent. No "hum" from any of the components, nor any electro-magnetic interference, which I've had on other tube amps.

From stand-by to being fully powered on is under a minute, maybe 30 seconds. I think it takes a good 20 minutes for the tubes to reach their optimal state.

Yes, there'a dial on the back that you can match impedance. It allows you to fine tune the master volume so you're increasing or decreasing volume in gradual increments. I've left it on its default 6pm position and seldom have to turn the master volume beyond 1pm.
I'm currently considering this amp to replace my Rupert Neve RNHP to drive my new ZMF VCs so particularly interested in your comments. Zach suggested the RNHP might not be an ideal match for the VCs due to its low output impedance. I'd be very interested to know how you've found the switch?

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #54 of 114
Since posting when I acquired my Aurium, I've added some distinct improvements. Right now I'm fully satisfied with the Aurium and its associated gear.

1. Replaced RCA interconnects from RME to Aurium with Cardas Gold Reference XLR.

2. Replaced a Transparent Performance USB cable to RME with Cardas Clear. (I'm not sure if Jitterbugs helped with USB connections, but have left them in.)

3. Replaced Electro Harmonix tubes, which don't measure up to the quality of the amplifier, with NOS Siemens E88CC/6922. I also use some NOS Reflektor tubes that are a bit more dynamic but don't allow quite as much treble extension.

4. Replaced the Aurium's power supply with SBooster BOTW.

4. Replaced Focal Utopia cables with Nordost Heimdall 2. Aurium was putting out better sound quality than the stock cables could pass along.

6. Added AQ Niagara power conditioner.

None of these changes was hard to hear, even with senior-citizen ears. I can't say which made the most improvement – you'd have to try them in different sequences to establish that. But overall, and listening to about 80% classical / 20% jazz, the sensation is one of transparency and of nearness to actual instruments – or of having a band in my head.

And my audiophile guru has finally said I can stop now – no more recommendations. In his opinion the system is balanced and maxed at a solid middle-class level (though not higher-end, like his). Any further improvement would lead to a full round of upgrades (except for headphones), and I'm not going there. He did recommend adding a streamer, but not right now – too many new products / innovations, so wait for options to become clear. Whew!

Kirk T.

(AQ Niagara–>iMac–>Roon or Primephonic–>Cardas Clear USB–>RME adi-2–>Cardas GoldRef XLR–>Aurium (+Siemens+SBooster)–>Nordost Heimdall 2–>Focal Utopia–>Ears)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #55 of 114
I'm currently considering this amp to replace my Rupert Neve RNHP to drive my new ZMF VCs so particularly interested in your comments. Zach suggested the RNHP might not be an ideal match for the VCs due to its low output impedance. I'd be very interested to know how you've found the switch?
Hi, I liked the RNHP a lot but to my ears, it's not suited for ZMF headphones. It's too dry and the soundstage is too narrow. It doesn't really generate the space to let the ZMFs stretch themselves. The switch from the RNHP to the Aurius was immense, a completely different class of amp. The Aurius is a punchy amp, it gives much more definition to the ZMFs while also making the overall frequence more coherent. I should say, I tend to veer away from overly smooth and "tube like" tube amps - I prefer something that combines speed with warmth. For me, the Aurius is perfect in this respect, and especially because it's so responsive to tube rolling. I would also suggest looking at the Feliks amps, as they would also do a good job. if there's anything specific you want to know about the ZMF/Pathos pairing, let me know.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #56 of 114
Btw, I currently have Tungsram E88CC tubes installed on mine, which are perfect for me - on the brighter side, with excellent bass impact. I also tried the much venerated 1975 6N23P Reflectors, but they're too mid-centric and not enough top end for me. I prefer more attack. Selling here if anyone is interested.

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #57 of 114
Hi, I liked the RNHP a lot but to my ears, it's not suited for ZMF headphones. It's too dry and the soundstage is too narrow. It doesn't really generate the space to let the ZMFs stretch themselves. The switch from the RNHP to the Aurius was immense, a completely different class of amp. The Aurius is a punchy amp, it gives much more definition to the ZMFs while also making the overall frequence more coherent. I should say, I tend to veer away from overly smooth and "tube like" tube amps - I prefer something that combines speed with warmth. For me, the Aurius is perfect in this respect, and especially because it's so responsive to tube rolling. I would also suggest looking at the Feliks amps, as they would also do a good job. if there's anything specific you want to know about the ZMF/Pathos pairing, let me know.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It sounds like I really need to invest in a new amp amp for my new ZMF VCs. The Feliks Elise has been the other amp at the top of my shortlist but I think I'm veering to the Aurium. Its just a matter of getting the money together.

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #58 of 114
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It sounds like I really need to invest in a new amp amp for my new ZMF VCs. The Feliks Elise has been the other amp at the top of my shortlist but I think I'm veering to the Aurium. Its just a matter of getting the money together.
No prob. Hope you get one, great amp, indeed.

Jul 12, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #59 of 114
Finally ordered the Aurium from Home Sound in Edinburgh and looking forward to it. I don't really want to go down the tube rolling rabbit warren so planning on spending some time thinking about what is likely to suit my tastes and making a one-off tube upgrade.

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #60 of 114
Finally ordered the Aurium from Home Sound in Edinburgh and looking forward to it. I don't really want to go down the tube rolling rabbit warren so planning on spending some time thinking about what is likely to suit my tastes and making a one-off tube upgrade.

It's a good idea to replace the ElectroHarmonix ASAP, so you can break in the whole unit.

Taste in tubes depends partly on the music you listen to. For classical music with gentle treble extension I use NOS Siemens A-frame E88CC/6922; wonderful for this but not inexpensive.

I also, however, have Russian NOS Reflektor 6N23P-EV/6922 (6H23N-EB) Type 3 tubes that are a bit "punchier" and IMO perfect for jazz. These are a bargain – instead of around USD 80 each, you can order a PAIR for that price from Parts Connexion in Canada. The pair I bought is very quiet and closely matched.
www.partsconnexion.com/NOS-64369.html.
I have no connection except as a customer – just trying to help you get started with your fine new head amp.

Another suggestion: The friend who recommended Pathos Aurium to me had tried both RCA and balanced XLR connectors (if your DAC allows), and urged the latter. I took his word for this – didn't experiment myself but am certainly satisfied.

Kirk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back