PASS DIY Headphone Amp - WHAMMY
Dec 9, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #226 of 274
Well... it's just a Neutrik locking connector. It probably is the most expensive 1/4" panel mount on the market. Honestly you can open up any multi-thousand dollar piece of electronics and find things that cost pennies FWIW.
Agreed, to me the front panel looks like it was made to match other equipment no matter what was added to the front plate lol. Just an impression. Appearance and SQ are important to me but also not building two things exactly alike so friends have a unique amp when I am done.
2C5A6E54-044D-4901-821B-B56321EB8336.jpeg78514472-9E83-48B7-8F02-F8591C0DB638.jpeg6FE1578B-680D-4266-BFCA-FF6CE215CA46.jpeg685C3646-4AB3-49B5-A9DD-77426289BBF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #228 of 274
Agreed, to me the front panel looks like it was made to match other equipment no matter what was added to the front plate lol. Just an impression. Appearance and SQ are important to me but also not building two things exactly alike so friends have a unique amp when I am done.
Yeah, the annoying thing about the Neutrik locking connector is you can only blind mount it with a thin front panel, otherwise you have to have the full unit exposed. Blind mount below for those who aren't familiar. I think it looks a little nicer. Most audiophile gear has a super thick front panel to make it look expensive, so it's a no go.

1639068817730.png

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #229 of 274
Yeah, the annoying thing about the Neutrik locking connector is you can only blind mount it with a thin front panel, otherwise you have to have the full unit exposed. Blind mount below for those who aren't familiar. I think it looks a little nicer. Most audiophile gear has a super thick front panel to make it look expensive, so it's a no go.

I am mounting them to 3/4 inch hardwoods, I use Forstner bits from the back side before any cabinet assembly is done. It can take me three weekends to build the cabinet, the electronics is the easy part. :ksc75smile: I often mount to copper plate that I either brush or add patina to.
walnut amp 3.jpg

I have made over 50 to date for friends and have received such things as complete sets of tubes for my Cary amp as well as Focal Utopia headphones. I generally send a loaner amp out and get an offer I cannot refuse after the first or second person hears it.

patina 1.jpg

My hobby pays for any and all gear I buy so in that sense I have nothing invested in anything I buy. I also have close connections in the industry. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #230 of 274
This thread needs a bump. I recently built a whammy as an impulse purchase, and with it in the chain I'm truly enjoying the HD800 for the first time. The lean, bright tonality is gone while retaining all the staging, instrument separation and detail strengths. No pictures yet since I don't have a chassis, but I'm running a stock build, minus the input capacitors and with an OPA2107AP.

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #233 of 274
Hi, all how did you guys go about designing your chassis? namely the ones that @chaotic_angel and @puck made.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #235 of 274
I'm a mechanical engineer doing product design as my day job so I modeled everything in CAD and then CNC machined the parts. There aren't a lot of people out there that have access to the equipment to do that though.
ill send a PM to you

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #239 of 274
This is the case I used from AliExpress

It's a fraction to wide for the PCB to slide into the internal grove both sides so I used a couple of small PCB standoffs to match the height on one side as these are secured with small bolts it also holds the PCB securely in place. If you go to page five of this thread you will find several pictures of the PCB mounted inside and how it looks all finished. This enclosure has a thick aluminium face plate so you need to be mindful of that and the length of the volume pot. I'm pretty sure the same kit was also offered with a thinner face plate for less which would have made life a bit easier on the flip side the case is a about two inches longer than necessary which gave more room both ends for working with which was nice. I think for the price paid I ended up with a nice enclosure.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...plifier-case-AMP-Enclosure-case-DIY-box-172-6...

Base kit inside enclosure note room at front which allows fitting of upgrades like volume pot and output capacitors off board. There are more pics on page five onwards 🙂

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...one Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org&txt=

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back