PASS DIY Headphone Amp - WHAMMY
Jul 10, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #212 of 274
Thanks! I don’t have vents at this point. I looked at a number of other people’s cases and it didn’t seem like many were vented so I figured I’d try it without. The bottom panel comes off with 4 screws and nothing other than the feet are mounted to it so I can vent it pretty easily later if needed.

Beautiful case work! I like that all screws holding it together are hidden. Do you have any vents on the bottom of the case?

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #213 of 274
The Whammy is gorgeous Puck!!

I just popped the 883 back in from a 2134 and with the D8000 Pros its magnificent!!

I really like your walnut inset ! Its beautiful!!

Alex

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #214 of 274
20210327_175713.jpg

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #215 of 274
After many, many amps of all sorts and prices this IMO is about as good as it gets for amplification.

The tube speaker amp has its left and right channels using the same ground so its an easy wiring up of adapters with step down resistors for SE and Balanced.

The pre-amp in the PassLabs HPA-1 is not an afterthought, but a world class pre-amp that I drive the speaker amp with and the sound is gorgeous with most headphones.
No worry about power etc..

I rotate thru the Whammy, HPA-1 and other amps with Y-cables from the Schiit B2 dac so I can easily have three amps on and running at the same time to quickly switch between them all very efficiently....IMO all three amps provide a great sound.

Alex

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #219 of 274
I always thought the appearance of the headphone jack on the PASS to be interesting. I built a Whammy some time ago. I prefer tube sound but if there is one solid state headphone amp I might go to it is the Whammy. Most everything I own is Class A and I have done my own designs on headphone and power amps.

HL cabinet.jpgHL amp 2.jpgcowen 9.jpg

In the last one I had to use some WW2 vintage pentodes as triodes in order to win a bet. Naturally I did cover the transformer in the headphone amp picture after all tests were completed. I did an all copper faraday cage in order to stay with a steampunk design. Cowen amp.jpg

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #221 of 274
I always thought the appearance of the headphone jack on the PASS to be interesting
The jack according to the designer was picked because there were no better options out there...mechanically or electrically and they tried a bunch. They state that this xlr jack actually gets better conductivity with repeated insertions. Many hate the look...IMO its just fine...

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #222 of 274
The jack according to the designer was picked because there were no better options out there...mechanically or electrically and they tried a bunch. They state that this xlr jack actually gets better conductivity with repeated insertions. Many hate the look...IMO its just fine...
I have no issue with the connector type.😀

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #224 of 274
Some folks think for $3500 retail it should be just a higher priced unit.....fyi....
Any sentence starting with “some folks think” can be applied to most anything😀 I do not pay for most things electronic so price is moot to me. My solid state devices tend to sit on shelves in my shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back